iBasso P3 Opamp Rolling Thread *Let the rolling begin!* K/W: opamps, operational amplifier, heron, roll
Sep 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lucifix

100+ Head-Fier
**Thread shifted to Portable Amps section, please click HERE to go there.**

Hi guys,

I just pulled the trigger on the Heron last night and it should arrive in a few days time. In the meantime, I've decided to create a thread specifically for the purpose of Heron opamp rolling - not for the Viper or any other amp though. Some browndogs and opamps are already heading my way and I will post observations from the use of different combinations when I get them. In the meantime, if anyone has been lucky enough to receive their Heron, please do contribute
atsmile.gif
Lastly, it would be most useful if opamp recommendations came from Heron owners who have tried out the different combinations themselves.

Thanks!
L3000.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 13
One combination I like a lot so far in the P3 is:
LTC6241HV LR
iBasso transistor buffers
OPA2134 in ground.

No idea of battery life, as I have been doing all testing while plugged into dc adapter.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LTC6241HV LR
OPA2134 in ground.

No idea of battery life, as I have been doing all testing while plugged into dc adapter.

I notice you have both D3 Python and P3 Heron. With your favorite op-amp combination installed in P3, how do you find the difference in sound quality between these two latest products from iBasso ?

A critical consideration is driving capability, D3 or P3 must be able to drive difficult-to-drive cans such as AKG K601/K701 and HD650. In this aspect, I suppose P3 can have better driving capability when the stock transistor buffers are used (as in the case of your favorite combination).

I am torn between D3 and P3 to work with my Beresford DAC/iPod nano and AKG K601 headphone. I do not need USB DAC feature of D3 and op-amp rolling is possible only with P3. Thus if I can have performance of P3 with good op-amp combination close or even surpass that of D3, I will go for P3.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
littletree76, seem like we're having the same problem. D3 or P3? is P3 capable of reaching performance of D3 with opamp?

i guess many also intrigued by this.

The P3 IS capable of reaching sonic performance of the D3. However, opamp gurus have concentrated their work somewhere else at the moment and we should expect to see better opamp combos in the near future.

Alternatively you could just get a Viper and have both a DAC and opamp rolling.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For less than 9V, my best would have to be the OPA211

...and the overlooked OPA(2)132.

I have compared LTC6241, OPA2365 and OPA2132 @ 5.5V total, and the non-CMOS OPA2132 trashed the other two (bit of unwanted emphasis for lack of english terms, sorry), even if it's the almost the low end of its operating voltage.

That is interesting! Have you tried them with your P3?

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 13
I am going to be doing some P3 comparisions later tonight, and will post my results, but I think this thread should be in the "Portable Amps" forum.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LTC6241HV LR
OPA2134 in ground.

As Highflight mentioned I really like a similar combo
LTC6241HV LR
OPA2227 in Ground (didnt have a 2134)

I also tried the following combo and the bass was increased and the soundstage was a bit more open
this combo sounds very very good but the bass was a bit much for me.
AD822 LR
Ibasso Transistors
Ground OPA2227

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by littletree76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A critical consideration is driving capability, D3 or P3 must be able to drive difficult-to-drive cans such as AKG K601/K701 and HD650. In this aspect, I suppose P3 can have better driving capability when the stock transistor buffers are used (as in the case of your favorite combination).

I am torn between D3 and P3 to work with my Beresford DAC/iPod nano and AKG K601 headphone. I do not need USB DAC feature of D3 and op-amp rolling is possible only with P3. Thus if I can have performance of P3 with good op-amp combination close or even surpass that of D3, I will go for P3.

I have tried the D3 with the K601s, IMO the D3s do not have enough juice to drive the K601s properly. No experience with the P3 though, but it looks like a much better fit with your equipment.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 13
all i noticed in the thread title was heron followed by roll and all i could think was, 'is this gonna be about drugs?' :p

i dont have ibasso but try the following:
tle2082 - lively
opa2604 - natural

Users who are viewing this thread

Back