iBasso P1 overheating
Apr 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maladjustdeath

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have this amp for almost a year and I've recently noticed extreme overheating after leaving it connected to the charger for more than a day.
I remember reading (most likely in the user's manual) that the iBasso P1 has overcharging protection circuit and thus can be left connected to the charger.
As far as I know, the problem has started only recently and maybe related to the current warm weather. I'm not talking about mildly warm amp which is a common behavior of most power supplies, but rather a level of heat which is painful to leave my hand on the amp surface for more than 5 seconds.
I bought this thing at eBay and rather not hassle with shipments and warranties.

Is there anything that even an electronics illiterate like me can do, like
looking at specific connections, cables or components?

I may experiment some more with recharging and checking at which point does overheating start, but I'm concerned that this thing might explode as in laptop horror stories (the idea of several overheating little batteries contained in a metal box makes me somewhat uncomfortable)

TIA

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Your charging circuit has stopped working correctly. You will need to send it back to iBasso. I would shoot them an email.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 5
An iBasso support rep returned my query very quickly, and offers a free repair but I have to be responsible for shipping costs.
Fair enough, but quick searching the cost of shipping a package to Hong Kong, and assuming similar price for shipment back, yields that I'll be paying something like 50% of what I paid for the amp+s&h new, which I'm not sure makes sense.
So my next step is trying to fix it myself or maybe convince a skilled coworker looking into it. I don't mind bypassing the charging circuit if the amp could be operated on external-power only (unportable). I just don't know where to start looking inside.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 5
I do believe iBasso will pay return shipping. My USPS shipping costs for returning my D1 from USA to China was only about $18.00.

It is MUCH more expensive if you insure it. Gamble that it won't get lost. It will eventually get there, but it takes quite awhile to clear Chinese customs.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I have sent something back twice, once to iBasso and once to Little Dot. Both times I used Global Express. It took 2 days to get there and cost 26 dollars each time. I won't use air mail because it can take weeks. Express is worth the extra cost. It has taken 2 days each time to get back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back