iBasso OEM Project
Nov 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #331 of 497
Black Gate 3300µf/16VDC Std. High End Audio Capacitor - eBay (item 270206066583 end time Dec-12-09 17:52:03 PST)

Er, I'm not sure that 2nd one is legit either, i've not seen Blackgates with phenolic bottom plates, and I've been using them for 20 years...

This one however does have the correct bottom cap, from the same vendor curiously.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Gate-47-f-...#ht_500wt_1182

Of course the only way to tell for sure is to buy more than you need and cut one open, even partsconnexion get hit by fakes.

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #332 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by uvak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested to get one. Am I too late for the first batch?

Affirmative.
You have to wait for 2nd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sq225917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, I'm not sure that 2nd one is legit either, i've not seen Blackgates with phenolic bottom plates, and I've been using them for 20 years...

Of course the only way to tell for sure is to buy more than you need and cut one open, even partsconnexion get hit by fakes.

I actually have 8 4700uF/16V std caps on hand, and all of them are having phenolic plates.
4 of them are purchased from Japanese authentic dealer, and the rest from partsconnexion.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #333 of 497
I'm also looking for a way of getting lossless tunes from an Onkyo Transport so assume this is the baby I need for optical out of the Onkyo and then I can feed Solo etc..... There are 2 versions MB1 and MB2.

Does anyone know which is best or what the difference is in signature? John, could you comment at all? Also what do you feed this with as a portable rig?

Go easy on me guys I'm new to DAC's....

Ryuzoh, when can we see these for order?

Attachment 22852

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #334 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking for a way of getting lossless tunes from an Onkyo Transport so assume this is the baby I need for optical out of the Onkyo and then I can feed Solo etc..... There are 2 versions MB1 and MB2.

Does anyone know which is best or what the difference is in signature? John, could you comment at all? Also what do you feed this with as a portable rig?

Attachment 22852

I am listening to the MB-1 and it has much of what I have looked for in a portable dac. It has a grain free, dynamic soundstage, if the music is recorded well. I have not heard the MB-2.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #335 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 2 versions MB1 and MB2.

Attachment 22852

Well.....the difference btwn them is just a chip on low pass filter section.
We're using AD8616 for MB-1, and OPA2211 for MB-2.
Difference above effects so much sound character from the DAC....
On AD8616, it generates 3D sphere, and speedy sound.
On OPA2211, so warm and mellow, matured harmonic.
I know you love OPA637, MB-1 is recommendable at all.

MB-1 will be released 70 sets, and MB-2 will be 30 sets.

The method for ordering them will be same as 2nd batch fi.Q.
We'll be able to accept orders at our own website.

Thanks,

p3c-project

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #336 of 497
sorry, where is the link to your site?? am I to understand the MB-1 and MB-2 are now available??
also, I received my discrete smd diamond buffer PCBs today, they are definitely small enough to fit!! awesome!! I have a feeling they will beat BUF634 withouit a problem. unfortunately they demand +-7v, so not gonna work in my D10 unless I either change some component values, or mod my D10 for an external battery pack
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #337 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, where is the link to your site?? am I to understand the MB-1 and MB-2 are now available??
also, I received my discrete smd diamond buffer PCBs today, they are definitely small enough to fit!! awesome!! I have a feeling they will beat BUF634 withouit a problem. unfortunately they demand +-7v, so not gonna work in my D10 unless I either change some component values, or mod my D10 for an external battery pack
evil_smiley.gif

I don't think the website is up yet... 1st batch have yet to ship so MB-1 and MB-2 won't be out till batch 2 is ready

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #338 of 497
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the website is up yet... 1st batch have yet to ship so MB-1 and MB-2 won't be out till batch 2 is ready

Ah... sorry for confusing you.
As theory_87 said, that will be released after 1st batch.
Estimated early 2010, or late December fortunately.

Quote:

I received my discrete smd diamond buffer PCBs today, they are definitely small enough to fit!! awesome!! I have a feeling they will beat BUF634 withouit a problem.

Interesting.... what are the transistors on emitter-followers?
Can you let me see pics?

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #339 of 497
the stock transistors are below, the BOM contains fairly middle of the road parts, but still with high performance; there is a class A circuit onboard (optionally) and input RF filter (also optional) I will probably upgrade some parts on a couple to see what improvements can be made and where. will use blackgate, rubicon ZA or sanyo oscon SP SMD for the 2 'large' caps. maybe ordering some 0605 Zfoil vishay SMD for an upcoming dac project, who knows I might make a couple of these with them too
evil_smiley.gif
any suggestions for audio transistors of this size?? not an area i've really delved into before; these packages are very small!!

BC860C
BC850C
BCP56T1G
BCP53T1G

its not my design, they are tiny!! only recieved the PCBs today, havent made my digikey order yet to build them up; mostly have filled out my BOM, but thinking on what upgrades I could make before I hit the buy button. its the SSB01 rev 1 from sjostromaudio.com no affiliation. there may be some areas the BUF634 has better specs, even if only because they are able to measure with much higher resolution than Per is, but in my experience; discrete almost always sounds better in the real world. great little PCBs too, 4 layer, gold plate with solder mask and 2 oz copper with 70u traces; these and the regs/psu PCBs I received today are probably the most professional looking DIY pcbs I have ever encountered and as a bonus they are also quite attractive to look at.

rev 0, which was prettier, but had a defect that needed patching; seen below

SSB01rev0pcb.jpg

here is the finished rev 0 board; miniscule
SSB01rev0complete.jpg

and these ar the REV 1 boards like the ones I received today, 2 pictured above to show both sides

SSB01rev1pcb.jpg

I think these are gonna be both fun and very useful; I grabbed 10 boards, as I know I will find uses for them in a few places. I feel with the right parts choices, these could be a spectacular little performer that is quite suitable for the higher current portable amps and dacs with enough power and room for them. pretty much any amp that has socketted buffers would have room for these if the socket was removed and some even without doing that. its not the exact same as the original diamond buffer, but instead one that has been slightly modified as well as transfered to SMD

anyways; thats both encouraging and disappointing news about the DAC, I couldnt really justify it now anyway, although if it were available, I know I would find a way to
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #340 of 497
I see.... and I think the boards require removing buffer sockets to make room for.
So, how about 2SA1455K/2SC3722K for SOT-23? and agree BC850/BC860 in SOT-223 is suitable for emitter follower.
The resistors in light blue are KOA's 0805 thick film and I recommend you to use Dale's.

Quote:

anyways; thats both encouraging and disappointing news about the DAC, I couldnt really justify it now anyway, although if it were available, I know I would find a way to
rolleyes.gif

I have to answer for you at all....
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #341 of 497
the BOM is using vishay thin film, those sot-23 are not available at digikey or mouser, will see if farnell have them, but wont make an order only for those. i'm assuming they are NOS?? would have thought if they were a current model that one of those 2 would have them or at least list them as an out of stock item.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #342 of 497
Seems to be NOS....
Also 2SA1587/2SC4117 low noise models are suitable but require adjusting Ib because of their high hfe.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #343 of 497
^^^^ Yeah, Yeah, all of what they said. I'm following every word, especially KOA's and NOS, of course SOT-23's are always good and as for emitter followers well now I'm just gettin' horny
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #345 of 497

Users who are viewing this thread

Back