iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #2,611 of 3,079
Using my IT01 with Symbio W tips and the stock Campfire Audio silverplated copper litz cable:

1FABCAE5-DAA7-4564-AE17-65FF610A2140.jpeg

Real nice. The wider bores and SPC cable brings out the mids and treble more for a more balanced sound while keeping the sub-bass.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2,612 of 3,079
I’d recommend the Radsone EarStudio 100.

Sounds great, especially through the balanced out and lasts a really long time on a full charge.

Thank you for the suggestion! As of now, it may be just a bit too much for me to travel with, but if I had a home set up I’d definitely want it.

Would anyone recommend a great quality mmcx with an in-line mic & controls?

And I’m still searching for a better Bluetooth and splashproof mmcx cable

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #2,613 of 3,079
The ES100 is actually only about the size of your thumb, has an dual DACs, a mic is Bluetooth enabled and allows you to use any cable you like.

Thank you for the suggestion! As of now, it may be just a bit too much for me to travel with, but if I had a home set up I’d definitely want it.

Would anyone recommend a great quality mmcx with an in-line mic & controls?

And I’m still searching for a better Bluetooth and splashproof mmcx cable

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #2,614 of 3,079
Thank you very much!

I’ve just emailed Paul, so we’ll see.

I actually want to purchase these Comply foams https://www.complyfoam.com/products/v-variety-pack-500/
I’m just not sure if I should get S or M.

Also, I saw you recommended someone a Shure BT cable for wireless, are there any specifics you suggest?

I don’t really like my Westone BT anymore. They only connect to one device at a time, the range with my Fiio X1 2nd gen is TERRIBLE (I can’t bring it past my bellybutton without it distorting), and the charge time isn’t so convenient for me at 8 hours. I need something more like 10/12+. I really need water/sweat resistant or proof

Hi @Meshaboo,

Apologies for the delay in reply, as always, for good or ill, life intervenes...

iBasso customer service is among the best I've encountered in the personal audio industry so there shouldn't be a problem they can't solve for you one way or another.

As to Comply Foam size, that all depends on your personal ear anatomy, so I can't really comment beyond my own experience.
As for most people, it comes down to trial & error.
As a good general rule, good portion of the world uses medium as it is the easiest to fit then if necessary, one can adjust from there.
Regardless of what size tips you do choose & in some cases material, it is important to remember, comfort & isolation is paramount which should always be considered before anything else.
Also, one thing most people forget is one shouldn't jam tips in the ear to make it fit & seal, the ear is basically a flexible muscle made of cartilage instead of tendons which has natural resistance so when you get something that sits comfortably for at least 10 mins, you should be good though your mileage may vary.
Bottom line, if it isn't comfortable &/or provide good isolation, don't use it, period.
I use medium tips myself for foams which are also my preferred tip choice, there is another good foam brand called Crystalline Audio which make more forgiving, slightly softer tips compared to Complys if you have fit issues with Complys.
Though I do use Spinfits (Large) on occasion when I have difficult to fit IEMs which is very uncommon but does happen but that's another story.

I recommend the Shure BT cable for good reason which I will go over again.

Shure BT cable is basically among the most cost effective BT cable solutions out there which work & I have personally tested as well as have access to (as in able to purchase). Aside from being sweat & water resistant, depending on what mmcx connector friendly IEM you have, it gives a fairly accurate sound representation. Though keep in mind this is highly subjective & personal as well as being source dependant, so the better your source, at least CD quality, there will be no issues with sound quality from the IEM.
In other words, it scales well the better mmcx connector capable IEM you may have or demo.
Battery life is up to 8 hours with 2 hours charging, 20 mins charge gives 2 hours if you can't wait.
There are certainly reasonable truly wireless IEMs out there though I haven't tested many as yet which I am actually pleased with or personally & subjectively think which are great nor do majority of these have good battery life which is among my biggest nitpicks as well.
As BT truly wireless capable in this space evolves, depending what is available to demo or more accurately worth demo, then it is something to consider, for now, either wait or go for a good BT cable like the Shure.
Also, as a general rule, for sound processing, BT protocols need a lot of tweaking & processing on the backend to be as true to a good quality source as anything from BT 3 above, does sometimes but not always limit what a good IEM cable can do though it is often very subtle where most people won't actually notice.

As a side note, Fiio BT, even some of their recent gear, is very hit & miss aside from personal luck.
BT technology, especially in terms of good quality sound, not just audio, is still young & rapidly evolving so sometimes it can be tricky to judge overall sound quality as everyone hears things differently though if it is from a quality source, the differences then become minute.

Feel free to ask me more though I suggest PM otherwise this thread may get derailed.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,616 of 3,079
Not sure about durability, but I’ve been using the new MEE BTX1 with my mmcx compatible IEMs, and i’m a fan. They don’t hold much of a charge (only 4 hours), but they’re light and sound decent.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,617 of 3,079
How are these for sports/gym use? Thinking of pairing them up with the Shure BT cables or the Earsound, which is likely better btw? Currently on KZ ZSA and the KZ upgrade bluetooth dongle.

If you find yourself a balanced 2.5mm cable. Hard to beat pairing these with the Radsone ES100 IMO if you’re trying to go wireless. They absolutely sing.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,618 of 3,079
How are these for sports/gym use? Thinking of pairing them up with the Shure BT cables or the Earsound, which is likely better btw? Currently on KZ ZSA and the KZ upgrade bluetooth dongle.

I'd say they are fairly good for this. Since they have no driver flex and they have some warm and bassy sound, they work well with doing exercise :)

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,619 of 3,079
Just ordered the Earsound as I can use it with my ZSA to test the form factor and see how it works for the gym, seems like it's about the best sounding BT device you can get!

If you find yourself a balanced 2.5mm cable. Hard to beat pairing these with the Radsone ES100 IMO if you’re trying to go wireless. They absolutely sing.

Nice! Why 2.5mm and not 3.5mm cable?

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #2,620 of 3,079
Just ordered the Earsound as I can use it with my ZSA to test the form factor and see how it works for the gym, seems like it's about the best sounding BT device you can get!

Nice! Why 2.5mm and not 3.5mm cable?

The ES100 has dual DACs and two outputs. One is 3.5mm unbalanced, the other is 2.5mm balanced. I’ve tried both and while the 3.5mm out sounds good, the balanced 2.5mm is noticeably superior.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #2,622 of 3,079
I'd say they are fairly good for this. Since they have no driver flex and they have some warm and bassy sound, they work well with doing exercise :)

Other users, as well as myself, have already claimed that there is driver flex on these. It just probably depends on each of our own ear anatomy, style of fit or ear tips whether we would get the flex or not. As for using them on the gym, I'd say these are good since they sound fun/musical to me and would fit typical music genres for workout like EDM, rock, etc.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2,623 of 3,079
Other users, as well as myself, have already claimed that there is driver flex on these. It just probably depends on each of our own ear anatomy, style of fit or ear tips whether we would get the flex or not. As for using them on the gym, I'd say these are good since they sound fun/musical to me and would fit typical music genres for workout like EDM, rock, etc.

Mine have a bit of driver flex. That said, I use them every second day for outdoor running and they’re great.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,624 of 3,079
Mine have a bit of driver flex. That said, I use them every second day for outdoor running and they’re great.

We can avoid the flex by proper method of fitting. What I do is I first apply pressure on the lateral sides of my ear canal while slowly inserting the nozzle. Once it's deep enough, I let go and check if there's a good seal already. If still not, apply the pressure again on any side and slowly insert more. I don't get any flex with this method at all. I only do experience flex whenever the insertion was rushed.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,625 of 3,079

Hi @grkn,

Pairing the IT 01 & Shure BT cable works extremely well & excellent for sports use.
Water & sweat resistant, 20 mins charge gives 2 hours while 2 hour charges gives 8 hours.
Have been using this for exercise already & like with stock cable, don't notice it's there.

Have not tried the Earsound cable as don't have access to one either so can't comment.

Hope this works for you, be interested to know how you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back