iBasso iPod transport coming in 2012.
Oct 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Yitaro

100+ Head-Fier
Just received an email back from iBasso.  I was inquiring about their plan for a product that combine their iBasso DB2 and Cypher Labs Solo.  A balanced portable DAC that will take digital out from an iPod.
Here's there reply.
"Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will release the iPod transport product in 2012."

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

My plan to purchase a CLAS or Fostex HP-P1 has been put on hold.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 19
Here's my wishlist for iBasso:
1. Make it balanced out.
2. Don't add any amp.  Most perspective customers already have an amp.
3. Price it under $400 usd.
4. Use the same chassis as your PB2.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Will rather it have an amp. One less item to carry. And please have the standard headphone out too.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 19
I kinda like the Hirose balanced plug.  Pain to work with, but compact and lock nicely to the amp.
I see the need for an internal amp for people using iem, but for a full size headphone, a separate amp like the PB2 works better.
My concern is pricing.  I would like it to be affordable. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
 I would like it to be affordable. 

I doubt there will be any bargain basement pricing after licensing fees are factored into the build cost.  Nonetheless, iBasso offers very decent quality and has always been good value IMO.  Never a giant killer, though.  

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 19
I think under $400 is doable.  Given that CLAS goes for $559.  Mark up for a Chinese company is a lot less than the American counterpart. 
To me the PB2 can compete with a much higher price portable amp.  The sound, especially with Top-Kit from Hi-Flight is amazing.  It matches perfectly with my HD650.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 19
please make a digital out, t6ransport only version, no dac, no amp, i will not use either of them, as i do not expect them to beat my setup in their price bracket and all products so far require me to buy the dac or even a dac and amp just to get the digital out, so i stick with my iriver

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Just received an email back from iBasso.  I was inquiring about their plan for a product that combine their iBasso DB2 and Cypher Labs Solo.  A balanced portable DAC that will take digital out from an iPod.
Here's there reply.
"Hi,Thank you for your email.We will release the iPod transport product in 2012." SincerelyiBasso Audio

My plan to purchase a CLAS or Fostex HP-P1 has been put on hold.

Good news!

According to Feiao from FiiO, Apple didn't trust Chinese companies.

Quote:
Do you plan to release iDevice (iPod/iPhone/iPad) compliant DAC products like the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo (i.e. iDevice-compliant  "D5")?
Thanks. 

Quote:
We have the ability , but the licence is a big problem , we had apply the MFI since 2009, but after 2 years, Apple still not give us the licence, I guess they don't trust Chinese brand.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552605/fiio-e11-the-initial-impression-final-thought/210#post_7462006

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the info DanBa.  That kind a put a damper on things.
What about digital out from the new Samsung dap?  I am willing to switch to Samsung for that.
Pretty sure Samsung will be more than happy to license too a Chinese company.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 19
Oct 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 19
rl.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I would like  iBasso iTransport to be:
1) battery powered, truly portable
2) with headphone amp, be a slim all-in-one device
3) cheaper than CLAS

I think will definitely be portable.
If they gonna include an amp section to this ipod transport, I hope it will be powerful and balanced like their PB2.
Combining an iPod transport+DB2+PB2 into one device will be the answer to every Headfi's dream.  One device to rule them all.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 19
how that jobs is gone things with apple may not be so tight... who knows whats possible...

definitely keeping an eye on this one.

here are my fantasy features
digital transport mode - use rca style coax out and not optical
if you're gonna give it a dac, give it a better dac than the CLAS
make a version with a dac, and a version that is strictly a portable transport
allow it to be used as a dac from a computer as well - this would be the best feature
if you're gonna give an amp, make it good enough to drive orthos
at least as small and light as the CLAS
$400 or less

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 19
It is good that the CLAS is getting some fight from other companies. the more products alike, the better price we can get, right?

iBasso makes classy and neat products, I'm interested in this one, specially now that my zune died and the iPod is going to be my main portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back