iBasso experts, what is this amp?
Oct 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
Casque Hifi on fleabay is selling a protable amp as an iBasso or ibasso knock-off. (A copy of a chineese amp, yes it's happened before).

What is interesting is that this amp also has digital/coax in unlike the new Boa and Heron. Is this indeed a new amp and has anyone heard it? It's more expensive then both the Heron and Boa ...so I suspect it may be indeed made by iBasso as an OEM?

Here's the link: Mini-Audio iBasso D1 MAD-05 DAC AMP headphone ampilifer - eBay (item 360095792094 end time Oct-17-08 08:01:33 PDT)

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Looks like a D1 clone. Some of the circuit components look different though. At least 1 capacitor is different, and 2 opamps look different.

edit: audiophilechina.com also sell it, for $289

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Certainly looks very near identical to my iBasso D1 that I got as soon as it came out in july/august 2007.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Yes it is legit, just re-branded.

However you might want to wait just a few more weeks, the upgraded D10 should be coming out, although iBasso are being very quiet about it.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 13
According to the classifieds on erji.net (the chinese head-fi) Mini Audio markets to China, while iBasso is for exports. So if they are correct, the 2 products are the same thing. Plus the mini-audio site also links to the iBasso site for the where to buy section (So possibly if they weren't the same, they'd be diverting sales away from them. Then again the chances of foreigners going to the mini-audio site are pretty slim).

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 13
A lot of those kinds of products have usually 100% true components, and actually have pretty good quality. The factories in China tend to "overproduce" products contracted to them, and sell them on the side.

I still wouldnt buy them, because in the end they are stolen from the original company/designers.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Cheaper, the D2's equivalent is around USD130 and a D3 is around USD190 excluding shipping on the mini-audio site. Compared to USD165 and USD 219 respectively on the ibasso site.

@.Coco
I don't have any evidence about whether mini-audio is stealing from ibasso or not, but a quick search on erji.net (chinese headfi) shows that both terms are used interchangeably and there doesn't seem to be any classifieds on iBasso amps alone (which shows that iBasso doesn't seem to be marketed to china). The forum goers there also seem to think the the 2 companies are headed by the same guy. So they may or may not be the same company, or mini-audio may actually be clones. I think the best way to find out would be to ask this question on the iBasso premier sponsor forum.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 13
I have the both MAD and iBasso D1. IIRC, it is the earlier version of the iBasso D1. Functions,outputs and inputs are all similar. MAD was the previous name of iBasso.

Have not compare the insides tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back