IBasso DX90 vs AK120 vs AK100 vs HM901 vs Colorfly C4
Oct 17, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #31 of 57
I'd take the AK120 over the DX90. I just got an AK100 mk2 and it's more than competitive with the DX90 and happens to be more my flavor. AK120 > AK100MK2 = or > DX90 > ak100 due to output impedance. Haven't heard the new AKs. DX90 could use a touch more color or prat. The sort of thing that may come from a future FW update. DX90 is still very resolved and the best thing I've heard in it's price range, makes it a great deal.
smile.gif

I'm still a sucker for a small DAP and the AK100 mk2 fits that bill as well. I know it's not the best thing out there but it should serve me well enough. No DAP will ever completely satisfy me if I get to critical so I'll settle for convenience along with the occasional goose bump. If I want more, I can always send it to Mezzo for an upgrade.

To complete my evaluations here. I had a short listen to a hm901 and felt it was the best I've heard but way too bulky to consider. Never heard a C4 or DX100 but their bulk wouldn't work for me either so I've not sought them out.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #32 of 57
  I'd take the AK120 over the DX90. I just got an AK100 mk2 and it's more than competitive with the DX90 and happens to be more my flavor. AK120 > AK100MK2 = or > DX90 > ak100 due to output impedance. Haven't heard the new AKs. DX90 could use a touch more color or prat. The sort of thing that may come from a future FW update. DX90 is still very resolved and the best thing I've heard in it's price range, makes it a great deal.
smile.gif

I'm still a sucker for a small DAP and the AK100 mk2 fits that bill as well. I know it's not the best thing out there but it should serve me well enough. No DAP will ever completely satisfy me if I get to critical so I'll settle for convenience along with the occasional goose bump. If I want more, I can always send it to Mezzo for an upgrade.

To complete my evaluations here. I had a short listen to a hm901 and felt it was the best I've heard but way too bulky to consider. Never heard a C4 or DX100 but their bulk wouldn't work for me either so I've not sought them out.

dx90 on which firmware?

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #33 of 57
Lurker's. With Rockbox, it's got plenty of push but not as refined. I like Lurker's take on 2.1 the best. I really enjoy the DX90 and just commenting on sig can be like overstating things. Preference will certainly play a roll. I like a lively presentation as long as it's not bright or aggressive. Use JH13fp. Even with my take, the DX90 remains the clear value leader here. It's not just that the DX90 sounds great and has served me well, iBasso is good people that deserve support. That's a lot of DAP for the $ from a relatively small company. Of course it's personal but for me, the X5 wasn't in the running as an all in one due to the size/weight and mostly sound though FiiO is certainly giving a solid effort and put a lot into their units for what you pay. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #36 of 57
The DX90 with lurker's international 2.1 FW is very solid imo, certainly better than the other FW of DX50 and DX90 that I've used before.

Anyway, just to chime in with my opinion:

SQ of all the DAPs I've owned/ heard extensively before:

HDP-R10/DX100 > AK120 = DX90 > X5 > AK100 >= X3 >= DX50 >= X1

UI in general:
AK100 = X1 >= AK120 (slightly down because of the relative lagginess over the AK100) = DX90 >= X3 > X5 = HDP-R10/DX100 > DX50

(I'm not sure why but I had a torrid time with the DX50 touchscreen, which is why it's rock bottom, but the DX90 is perfectly fine)

Thanks! Can you rank the soundstage size from highest to lowest?

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #37 of 57
I can't give you ranking of specific sonic traits because some DAPs, I last heard them nearly half a year ago.

Of those that I've heard/ owned recently enough:

Soundstage:
HDP-R10 > DX90 > X5 = AK100 > X3 = X1

This is still based on memory, which is not a good measure IMO, so take this with a grain of salt, and don't forget the issue of firmware updates tweaking the sound signatures as well.

Hope this helps!

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #38 of 57
Does anyone have a real world comparison between the newer AK100 II vs iBasso DX90? Was just about to place an order for the DX90 but my supplier has just contacted me that the AK100 II are now available, however, they are on the other side of the country and I don't have the option of comparing the two :frowning2:

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #39 of 57
I love the sound of the ak100ii, sounded very good. To my ears it matched the big bro, AK120II. Definitely the best bang for your buck with regards to the AK line. I've never heard the dx90 unfortunately, wish I did for reference, maybe one day. I just have too many DAPS, so getting an ibasso really not a good idea.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #42 of 57
The money factor sucks!!! I'm sure there is a dx90 in my future... Just because I want to learn more about our hobby... Reading graphs, reviews, impressions, etc., can only tell a person so much... Hearing is the best way for me. I've purchased a few things knowing I'd sell them... But I've learned more doing things like that than reading alone.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #44 of 57
Thanks everyone for your input on the AK100 II vs DX90; 

Will place an order for the AK100 II soon. Would have considered the AK120 II as well but my lack of high res albums at the moment doesn't justify the cost (majority of my music are CD rips, with a few high res albums here and there). 

Edit: Order placed! $875 USD ($1020 AUD) which was the best price I could find within Australia. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back