Ibasso DX80
Nov 5, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #646 of 1,208

It would be nice to have a realtime DSD to DoP feed for S/PDIF, but I would have thought that it is too much for the DSP to handle.
Did any of the other DAPs have this capability? (can Fiio X5 do this?).

Also FYI the DSD playback bypasses the equalizer since it is native playback straight to the DAC chip.

I think the Cayin N5 does this (or I was told that it will become available through future firmware updates which I cannot recall if it happened already or not).

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #649 of 1,208
Love to here a comparison between the dx80 and the cayin n5 or n6

I ended up buying the DX80 after comparison with X5-II and Cayin N5. I thought the N5 is a bit more powerful and the ability to do 2.5mm balanced was a big advantage, but the UI was terrible (like a laggy version of Fiio's text based UI) and the jog dial was annoyingly small (hurts my finger scrolling through 128GB worth of songs).

Sound wise, it's up to personal preference but I personally thought the N5 had some strange kind of "tint" to the midrange which made me feel a bit uncomfortable (glossy colouring rather than being neutral). DX80 on the other hand is very solid and the bass soundstage is absolutely huge. I think DX80 was really well suited to sharp sounding studio monitors and BA IEMs. It makes my HD800, TH600, Perfomance 880, MDR-Z1000 etc sound full and beefy, which is unusual. I also agree with some post earlier that K3003 sounds awesome with DX80.

DX80 didn't work so well with already warm sounding headphones. I thought it makes them sound a bit too dull because the highs on DX80 don't sparkle and shine as much as other DAPs. Fiio X5-II maybe better for that.

I thought Cayin N5 is good if you can put up with the terrible jog dial and primitive UI, and the 2.5mm balanced is really awesome if you have the right cable for it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #654 of 1,208
Ah, id forgotten you did:grinning:,I can't believe you've kept it so long,I changed so many since, dx90 was great and as soon as i saw dx80 I knew I'll buy it,I've no doubt it sounds fab especially for the money, zx2 was expensive, but now even Sony realised they need to cut down on ripping us off to stay competitive.
Have you got Mojo, if so, how is it with ibasso, In theory it should just sound the same whatever you feed it, but I found my zx100 to be much better than AK100ii as a source

That confirms my findings with the mojo - it responds well to good digital sources. I didn't particularly like it with the Fiio x5ii, but loved it with the original x5. The best so far is USB Audio Player Pro out of my android tablet (nvidia shield). I'd love to know more about the soundstage out of the DX80 with the mojo.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #655 of 1,208
Was going to get the cayin n6 but might get the dx80 instead ,wondering if the cayin n6 is still a step above the dx80 in sound quality???

I had a quick demo of the N6 and I found it to be very very impressive. I loved how it sounded but alas the large size and heat turned me off. I have a DX80 coming in today so hopefully I can get some comparison going this weekend. Sadly they require signature upon delivery and no one is home during the weekdays..

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #656 of 1,208
Was going to get the cayin n6 but might get the dx80 instead ,wondering if the cayin n6 is still a step above the dx80 in sound quality???

You mean, these...? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #657 of 1,208

When I play a DSF file on my DX80, the S/PDIF output sends no signal. I guess it won't do realtime DoP output on the fly.

Otherwise for PCM, the S/PDIF output is pretty clean and the bundled RCA S/PDIF cable is pretty good. It measures no different to my good coax cable.

Thanks! As I mentioned, suitability as a DoP transport wouldn't be an especially deal-breaking consideration here.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #660 of 1,208
  I think the Cayin N5 does this (or I was told that it will become available through future firmware updates which I cannot recall if it happened already or not).

As I understand it, where DoP output's concerned both the Cayin N5 and the FiiO X5ii are limited to decoding DSD64. The X7 may well deliver on DSD128, though I haven't heard DoP mentioned in any of the current reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back