Ibasso DX80
Aug 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #91 of 1,208

We will have to wait to see.  I loved the implementation of the CS4398 chip in my AK100II but didn't really enjoy it on the FiiO X3II.  I slightly prefer the AK100II to the DX90 and the DX90 to the X3II so we will see how this goes!

I would think for the price difference you should like it MUCH more. No wonder I see enough AK's up for sale to make me go hmm.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #92 of 1,208

I would think for the price difference you should like it MUCH more. No wonder I see enough AK's up for sale to make me go hmm.

Haha, I definitely admit that the price was hard to swallow.  Luckily for me, I bought mine secondhand in like new condition.

There are things that the AK100II does better than the DX90 such as the slightly slimmer profile (making it easier to pocket), nicer looking and more usable UI, the better touchscreen, better screen quality, and of course better battery life.  To me these things made the AK player more enjoyable to use on a day to day basis.

However, I still love the DX90 and the fact that you tend to forget about the things mentioned above when you are listening to your music.  To be honest, I actually prefer the DX90's sound to the AK100II in some cases.  The bass has more bloom and better impact making it much more enjoyable to listen to for modern songs especially on my noisy commutes.  Definitely sounds more in your face and exciting compared to the AK100II's more mellow and smoother sound.

I commend iBasso for making such a functional product with a variety of inputs/ouputs with great sound/build quality.  And most importantly, they are doing this at an affordable price!  I am definitely an iBasso fan for life and even though I don't need another DAP, I will happily snatch up a DX80 just to hear their newest invention which I am sure will give my AK100II a run for its money (the DX90 already does).

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #93 of 1,208

Haha, I definitely admit that the price was hard to swallow.  Luckily for me, I bought mine secondhand in like new condition.

There are things that the AK100II does better than the DX90 such as the slightly slimmer profile (making it easier to pocket), nicer looking and more usable UI, the better touchscreen, better screen quality, and of course better battery life.  To me these things made the AK player more enjoyable to use on a day to day basis.

However, I still love the DX90 and the fact that you tend to forget about the things mentioned above when you are listening to your music.  To be honest, I actually prefer the DX90's sound to the AK100II in some cases.  The bass has more bloom and better impact making it much more enjoyable to listen to for modern songs especially on my noisy commutes.  Definitely sounds more in your face and exciting compared to the AK100II's more mellow and smoother sound.

I commend iBasso for making such a functional product with a variety of inputs/ouputs with great sound/build quality.  And most importantly, they are doing this at an affordable price!  I am definitely an iBasso fan for life and even though I don't need another DAP, I will happily snatch up a DX80 just to hear their newest invention which I am sure will give my AK100II a run for its money (the DX90 already does).

I don't buy new DAP's, both my Cowon and DX90 are used. $150 for the Cowon, $260 for the DX90, have seen the DX90 slightly less. I take that back, my Sansa Clips were new.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #94 of 1,208
As much as i would like to agree and say go for it,smart money says wait for DX110 or whatever it is called.Unless you're really addicted to buying daps like many here are,nothing wrong with,since you already have ak100ii you should go for the upgrade not the sidegrade unless you have money to burn.Btw,after hearing the N6 bass,the bass on dx90 seems bloated and muddy.Every time i hear it now i unconsiously compare it with the latter bass and that takes away some of the enjoyment in music,but that's just me,YMMV.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #95 of 1,208
  As much as i would like to agree and say go for it,smart money says wait for DX110 or whatever it is called.Unless you're really addicted to buying daps like many here are,nothing wrong with,since you already have ak100ii you should go for the upgrade not the sidegrade unless you have money to burn.Btw,after hearing the N6 bass,the bass on dx90 seems bloated and muddy.Every time i hear it now i unconsiously compare it with the latter bass and that takes away some of the enjoyment in music,but that's just me,YMMV.

Wise words!  As with most new products, I tend to get overly excited with the new releases.  In the back of my mind I probably am expecting the AK100II to still win out but who knows?  iBasso could definitely have a winner in their hands.  Hopefully the first round of reviews will let me know, for better or for worse.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #96 of 1,208
Looks like the DX80 is going to be replacing the DX90 in the market segment. I mean, $340 makes it more of a Fiio X5ii competitor than a Fiio X3ii competitor. So in a sense, what iBasso has done is eliminate the DX50, brought the price down on the successor to the DX90 just to a point where it directly competes with other DAPs under 400 and will roll out a new DX TOTL to compete with DAPs in the 600-700 dollar price point such as the upcoming X7. 

I'm really interested to see what the new TOTL iBasso DAP will be like!

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #97 of 1,208

I'm really interested to see what the new TOTL iBasso DAP will be like!

Why are you so sure that there will be another TOTL iBasso DAP? Did I overlook some announcement? For me it looks the DX80 will be replacing both,
so they can focus on one model. Also dual DAC on their new entry-level DAP? 

Ok, interesting times coming. iBasso DX80 and maybe another one, Questyle QP1(R), Hidisz AP300, Cayin N5.... How can i afford that?

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #98 of 1,208
I'm not sure about anything myself. After all, I've only read about the DX80 a few days ago and didn't know anything about it before. Of course, I can be wrong. It's not like as if I have any connections at iBasso. They're really quite secretive about their products, as I remember emailing them late last year and being told that iBasso had no new DAPs in the works, then poof, DX80. So clearly they were trying to keep things under wraps. In other words, there is only speculation and nothing more.

It's entirely possible that the DX80 will be the only DAP, but based on iBasso's product lines, they follow more along the trends of Fiio than say, Hidiz or Shanling. You can check their product portfolio and see that they have had a history of multiple DAP and DACs in their line. They have a way of trying to cover multiple parts of the market rather than just trying to hit one part. I believe that the DX80 will be replacing both the DX50 and DX90, but that a new TOTL DAP to succeed the long dead DX100 may be in the works since they don't have any entry in that corner of the market unlike Fiio with their upcoming X7. 

Who knows. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #100 of 1,208
Well, anyway, it's all irrelevant right now. I can't even afford to replace my DX90 and I definitely never will as I like it too much. BTW, I asked someone who owns several DAPs which he liked best under 1000 and he said that as is in stock configuration, the Cowon Penue 1 dap is the best. But with swapped out amps, the ET MA9 is slightly better. So maybe they're worth your consideration as well?

For me, well, I'll be holding on to my DX90 for a looooooong time. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #102 of 1,208
Aug 12, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #103 of 1,208
Speaking about native DSD, how the volume control is implemented?

From the Cirrus Logic site about the CS4398

The CS4398 DAC also has a proprietary Direct Stream Digital (DSD) processor, which allows for volume control and 50 kHz on-chip filtering without an intermediate decimation stage. It also offers an optional path for direct DSD conversion by directly using the multi-element switched capacitor array.

Direct Stream Digital® mode (SACD)
    Non-decimating volume control
    On-chip 50 kHz filter
    Dedicated input pins

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs4398.html

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #104 of 1,208
Hah, I love the look of it.  I literally JUST bought my DX90.  Came in the mail yesterday morning.  
Kind of late to the game.  I love it though.  Up until now, I've been using my X5, and with all of the rave comments I've been hearing about the DX90, I needed to try it out.

So far, no complaints.  Will definitely keep an eye out for the 80 as well.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #105 of 1,208
  Hah, I love the look of it.  I literally JUST bought my DX90.  Came in the mail yesterday morning.  
Kind of late to the game.  I love it though.  Up until now, I've been using my X5, and with all of the rave comments I've been hearing about the DX90, I needed to try it out.

So far, no complaints.  Will definitely keep an eye out for the 80 as well.

It is always fun to have variety. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back