Ibasso DX80
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,201 of 1,208
Hey !

I have just spoted this post and I have exactly the same issue with my FAT32 Sandisk 128g (I first thought it was linked with a tagging problem). I am using FW 1.2.1 and I have this odd bug : "it crashes scanning half-way through, followed by a loud relay "click" ".

Do you guys have some fix for this bug ?

Regards,

Hi folks,

another newbie here.
I registered because my DX80 won't scan correctly. Here's the story:

I have two cards (Samsung EVO 128gb and SanDIsk 200gb) and both of them get scanned ok with just a small amount of files.
I arrange my files "artist > year - album" that's all. With the exception of "Various" and "Soundtracks".
But if I pack the cards with plenty of files then the scan get's aborted after xy percent - the more files, the earlier. When it aborts I get the same "click" that MaxLaMenace observed, too. After that the playing screen is emtpty. If a song was playing it is "ejected". After that the database has the files of the incomplete scan in it. This is happens on both cards.
What I did find out is that if I move all audio-files out of their folders to the top directory and delete the (now empty) folders then the scan completes!
So it is most likely not related to tagging, compression et al.

I am using the latest Firmware.

Is there anyone around here that has observed the same behaviour?
And maybe found a fix for it? :)
Any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,202 of 1,208
Any help is highly appreciated.
You should consider two things:
  1. When Mango scans your storage for music files, it uses the same storage for both found music files data base, and cover art. So, don't fill your SD cards to the end, always leave some megabytes, or gigabytes (depending on the number of tracks and cover arts) for that data.
  2. After the scan is done, Mango copies collected track data and cover art into DX80 internal flash, which is "only" 3GB (if I remember correctly).
I believe #1 is more appropriate for cases when the scan crashes in the middle. #2 usually leads to incomplete library or no artwork after a successful scan.

The most problem is the artwork. Services that sell music tend to put relatively big artwork in each and every track, though they all are the same. Better to have one external cover.jpg for an album (if you need one), and no embedded art work.

One possible solution is not to perform media scan at all, but to use Directory browsing instead. Mango still scans the folder(s) chosen for playback, and may end up with overflow, but not instantly. A well-organized library using file system directory tree is not much worse than tag browsers...

... until you want to randomly play all your thousands of MP3 tracks! That's the real problem with high capacity storage and players like DX80, which rely on pre-scanned data base.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,203 of 1,208
You should consider two things:
  1. When Mango scans your storage for music files, it uses the same storage for both found music files data base, and cover art. So, don't fill your SD cards to the end, always leave some megabytes, or gigabytes (depending on the number of tracks and cover arts) for that data.
  2. After the scan is done, Mango copies collected track data and cover art into DX80 internal flash, which is "only" 3GB (if I remember correctly).

Thanks a lot for the info - that's really good to know.
So far I have not filled it up completely. The scan problem starts even when the card (200gb) is only halfway full.

The interesting question is still:
Why does it not abort the scan when I remove my folder structure and scan just the files?
Does it take that much more space to store the file-paths? The embedded cover art and all else is still there - only in one folder/place.
I'm no professional when it comes to these questions, so I am wondering.

One possible solution is not to perform media scan at all, but to use Directory browsing instead. Mango still scans the folder(s) chosen for playback, and may end up with overflow, but not instantly. A well-organized library using file system directory tree is not much worse than tag browsers...

... until you want to randomly play all your thousands of MP3 tracks! That's the real problem with high capacity storage and players like DX80, which rely on pre-scanned data base.

I was thinking about doing just that - browsing by folder structure. It just would come in handy to be able to browse/search both cards at once. If I take the step up from one card to two it would be nice to not think "where did I put xy?" each time (even if I would arrange them alphabetical). Until now I used a DX50 for years and I always used directory browsing (and Rockbox, btw). I am still pondering wether to keep the DX80 or not....

If I run into overflow while browsing via directory, how do I solve that?
Just delete the .audio_data folder?

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,204 of 1,208
Does it take that much more space to store the file-paths?
Of course, it keeps the full path of each and every track!
If I run into overflow while browsing via directory, how do I solve that?
Just delete the .audio_data folder?
Most probably - yes. I'm not sure because I never faced such a problem :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,205 of 1,208
Of course, it keeps the full path of each and every track!
Most probably - yes. I'm not sure because I never faced such a problem :)

:beyersmile:
Alright.
But it seems now that this behaviour can not be changed by FW update, what would you say?

I would have the possibility to ship the DX80 together with the card to China to have it looked after. But judging from your infos I'd say this is programmed into Mango and cannot be fixed, right?

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #1,206 of 1,208
But it seems now that this behaviour can not be changed by FW update, what would you say?
You see, I'm a programmer, so my answer could be: "It can be changed". But, I understand that it would require a lot of efforts, with no a benefit, so the real life answer: "It won't be changed" :wink:

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,208 of 1,208
I still love my DX80 & last year I had the battery replaced by Extreme Audio. I was referred to them by the vendor on Amazon & apparently they are a distributor for iBasso. Well, I sent my pristine DX80 to Extreme Audio to have the battery replaced for $35. After nearly 2 months & several emails, they said they would get it right out, but they had lost my address. The unit they returned to me was not in pristine condition. Either they replaced mine with another unit or their technician is not competent. This was not a warranty repair, so it's not common for them to swap units. The one I received had pry marks on the metal case around the seams. The blemishes were covered with Sharpie marker, (easy to ID by the tell-tale purple color). The screw plugs were mutilated & then glued back in place. One of the case clips that holds the cover in place was broken. The unit works fine, except that a year later I need a new battery again! This time I contacted Paul at https://www.facebook.com/iBassoAudi...-AR6ddDQSZH96TlGVQNbzKgNRid5Tc6jZhzCf8HHRtaX0 & he told me that Extreme Audio has never been a service center for them. He told me how to order a new battery directly from iBasso & get free screw plugs. The battery was US $10 & shipping via post was $10. He even provided a disassembly video for the DX80. I should have done this the last time. Live & learn! So, don't send anything to Extreme Audio for repair, unless maybe for warranty, but I would be reluctant to let them touch my unit. I did not complain to them when I received my unit, but have since let them know my displeasure with the service they provided. They just said that the work would have been done by their service technician & offered no apology.
Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Back