iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6,196 of 6,795

Hi,

I've already tried a factory reset which didn't help. The red light in the optical jack turns on as soon as I play any audio (thereby skipping the headphone jack). Any other ideas before I send this set (less than a month old!) back for RMA?

I am sorry you have this issue. It seems the relay is stuck. If you have had the DX80 for less than a month possibly the seller can do an exchange for you. This would seem to be reasonable in this case.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #6,197 of 6,795
If Paul told you there will be further updates, trust him, he is straight forward. You're right in saying though DX200 would be the priority. It would be more a matter of which device requires the most attention imo.

You are correct sir. I have stated that we will get back to the DX80 but it will take time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 17, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #6,201 of 6,795
  Question about connecting the DX80 to my home system. What is the best way for me to do this? Optical? 
I tried a 3.5mm to RCA out and it sounds like garbage.. 

Depends on your system/DAC and all of that. If you have a decent DAC in your system, the DX80 is a fantastic transport. Mine sounds great from the lineout as well though, so are you sure you were using the inside jack, not the headphone jack on the outside?

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #6,202 of 6,795
  Depends on your system/DAC and all of that. If you have a decent DAC in your system, the DX80 is a fantastic transport. Mine sounds great from the lineout as well though, so are you sure you were using the inside jack, not the headphone jack on the outside?

positive I was using the line out jack. Not the headphone jack. Checked it 3 times. Playing 24 bit / 96 and sounded bad. Played same tune on cd and sounds great. Disappointed at the moment. 
No DAC though. Using the DX80 strait into the AUX 1 RCA inputs... Is that my problem?

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #6,203 of 6,795

positive I was using the line out jack. Not the headphone jack. Checked it 3 times. Playing 24 bit / 96 and sounded bad. Played same tune on cd and sounds great. Disappointed at the moment. 
No DAC though. Using the DX80 strait into the AUX 1 RCA inputs... Is that my problem?

Aux 1 RCA on what device? If you don't have a preamp in the path it'll sound terrible and stupidly loud. If you're using a receiver it may not like the voltage output of the DX80, my old Marantz AV7701 HATED my Bifrost and would sound like garbled ass unless I connected the Asgard 2 to it and connected that to my receiver, but then that's 2 preamps, but at least it worked. It's probably something similar to that.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,204 of 6,795
  Aux 1 RCA on what device? If you don't have a preamp in the path it'll sound terrible and stupidly loud. If you're using a receiver it may not like the voltage output of the DX80, my old Marantz AV7701 HATED my Bifrost and would sound like garbled ass unless I connected the Asgard 2 to it and connected that to my receiver, but then that's 2 preamps, but at least it worked. It's probably something similar to that.

At home I run it through an old Denon AVR.. 
But today I went to a store and tested out some new cans. The owner hooked up the DX 80 to what he said was AUX 1 on a Peachtree Nova 150 running a pair of GoldenEar Triton towers.. 
It sounded so bad I am trying to figure out What.. I thought this this was a DAC and I did not need any other equipment to run in home use as well as a headphone system.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #6,205 of 6,795

But today I went to a store and tested out some new cans. The owner hooked up the DX 80 to what he said was AUX 1 on a Peachtree Nova 150 running a pair of GoldenEar Triton towers.. 
It sounded so bad I am trying to figure out What.. I thought this this was a DAC and I did not need any other equipment to run in home use as well as a headphone system.

That's really strange. I have never had that issue with the DX80, it has worked with all of my preamps. I would suggest trying another cable and playing a different file, maybe try a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, send it in for an RMA.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6,206 of 6,795
  That's really strange. I have never had that issue with the DX80, it has worked with all of my preamps. I would suggest trying another cable and playing a different file, maybe try a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, send it in for an RMA.

Anyway thanks for trying to help me sort it out.. I wasn't sure if I was missing some setting I needed to change or if optical out would solve the problem as the DX 80 was not designed to work properly (the way I am trying to use it) through the line out.. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #6,207 of 6,795

Can you describe what you mean by "sounded like garbage & sounded so bad"? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #6,209 of 6,795
Gents,

I was having DX80, it was not reading my SD cards, i'm with FW 1.4.2. It's been working fine till recentl, i'm using 2 128gb cards. Now I'm trying to load FW 1.5.8 and my DAP is not reading it. Tried factory reset, at least the good news its reading my sd card again. Anybody went through the same problem?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6,210 of 6,795
  Now I'm trying to load FW 1.5.8 and my DAP is not reading it.

1. Insert only one card into the second slot and try via Advanced menu.
2. Insert only one card into the first slot and try via recovery menu (turn on holding Vol+).
3. Try Factory Tool (aka Batch Tool).

I believe you know you should put update.img file into the root folder of the card for 1 or 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back