iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 3, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #6,001 of 6,795
You could always get rid of the flap, My Cowon P1 flap fell off after a couple of months and that has never neglected from the sound of it

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #6,002 of 6,795
  I get that quick intermittent noise on my train commute at a couple of stations (think it is the one with cellular masts) only when using my custom inears, doesn't happen if I have headphones on. Must be sensitivity

Thinking the same thing about sensitivity.  Sometimes when the CB goes off it sort of mimics that noise but bassy.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #6,003 of 6,795
Arrghhh could somebody help me choose between the dx80 and the plenue d pleeeease?
I really am stuck

I've been reading forums and tests for 2 days and i cannot make my decision!
I'm mainly listening to electronic music (tekno/psychedelic...) but i really enjoy fusion jazz.
I'm used to monitoring speakers (not the greatest but not the cheapest)

What would you recommend me betwen the cowon plenue D and the ibasso dx80 ? (or anything in that pricerange but I think i've read about all :)
Thanks !

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #6,004 of 6,795
How smooth and easy to use is the GUI on the DX80?  I am sensitive to hiss.  How would it pair Shure SE846 regarding hiss?  I have a Fiio X5 and find the UI lags when I press buttons or turn the scroll wheel.  I am starting to get a little tired of it.  That is why I want to upgrade to a new DAP.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #6,005 of 6,795
  How smooth and easy to use is the GUI on the DX80? 

The UI and operation are smooth, intuitive and stable.

I am sensitive to hiss.  How would it pair Shure SE846 regarding hiss?

Being sensitive to hiss myself and also owning the SE846, the DX80 will output a quite strong and noticeable amount of hiss into the Shure.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #6,006 of 6,795

The UI and operation are smooth, intuitive and stable.

Being sensitive to hiss myself and also owning the SE846, the DX80 will output a quite strong and noticeable amount of hiss into the Shure.

Thank you very much for your response.  Would the hiss be a dealbreaker for you if you mostly or always used your Shure's with the DX80?

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #6,007 of 6,795
  Thank you very much for your response.  Would the hiss be a dealbreaker for you if you mostly or always used your Shure's with the DX80?

It depends, but it is definitely one of the hissier DAPs. I personally find the hiss in combination with the SE846 to be too much because of its quantity and prefer to use my DX90 with very sensitive in-ears for critical listening.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #6,009 of 6,795
DX80 is almost dead silent with my ue900 which are 30ohm. It only hisses when i change volume. As far as i know shure 846 are 9ohm. DX80 has <0.1ohm output impendance, which means that it theoretically produces zero hiss with all iems.
My first DX80 produced much louder hiss noise, than my second one. So i think it also depends on concrete unit.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #6,010 of 6,795
  DX80 is almost dead silent with my ue900 which are 30ohm. It only hisses when i change volume. As far as i know shure 846 are 9ohm. DX80 has <0.1ohm output impendance, which means that it theoretically produces zero hiss with all iems.
My first DX80 produced much louder hiss noise, than my second one. So i think it also depends on concrete unit.

Okay.  Maybe if I get one for Christmas or something I will give it a fair chance for a bit before I write it off..  I probably jumped the gun a bit given I have never tried it myself.  Unless I try it myself I won't really know, right?  Lol.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #6,011 of 6,795

The output impedance has nothing to do with the amount of hiss. There are hissy sources with very low output impedance, there are hissy sources with high output impedance, there are hiss-free sources with high output impedance and there are hiss-free sources with really output impedance.
Saying that the output impedance is directly related to the amount of hiss one will experience is nonsense.

By the way, the reason why some DX80s have had more hiss than others is that the very first batch had different capacitors inside and with some cables, they put out more noise. This has been fixed after the very first batch.

The other hiss one is hearing is coming from the amplifier section that is very powerful and doesn't have the highest SNR spec, hence the DX80 will be hissier with very sensitive in-ears than other sources with a higher loaded SNR spec are.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #6,012 of 6,795
Sorry.  I am confused now.  Given I will be almost exclusively using a dap with my Shure's should I stay away from the DX80 if I am super sensitive to hiss?  It would probably drive me crazy and cause more frustration than enjoyment.  It doesn't matter to me what the source of the hiss is if it is too much it would be a waste for my purposes.  I only use IEMs while out and about mostly and I do not have any plans to upgrade IEMs right now.  Maybe in the future if something strikes my fancy.  How would the hiss be on the proper gain setting with my V-Moda M100 and what would be enough gain to drive those properly?  Would the M100 be a better match and would it have hiss?

I do not hear much hiss on my Fiio X5.  I can handle the Shure's out of my Fiio pretty well.  I really hear it on all of my computers be it desktops and laptops.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,013 of 6,795
@Riley Beale

Do you hear hiss with the SE846 connected to your FiiO X5?

If so, you will also get noticeable hiss from the DX80. However, if you hear barely any hiss with the Shure connected to your FiiO, you are probably not as sensitive to hiss as you think and the DX80 might be fine to go.

Anyway, without having hard it for yourself, you definitely won't be able to tell whether there will be a bothering amount of hiss for you with an extremely sensitive in-ear such as the SE846 or not.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #6,014 of 6,795
  @Riley Beale

Do you hear hiss with the SE846 connected to your FiiO X5?

If so, you will also get noticeable hiss from the DX80. However, if you hear barely any hiss with the Shure connected to your FiiO, you are probably not as sensitive to hiss as you think and the DX80 might be fine to go.

Anyway, without having hard it for yourself, you definitely won't be able to tell whether there will be a bothering amount of hiss for you with an extremely sensitive in-ear such as the SE846 or not.

I hear very little to no hiss with my Fiio.  I mostly hear a ton of hiss out of my computers all Dell running Windows.

I use my IEMs to tune the sound.  I find the Fiio a  bit thin sounding and the UI is pretty slow compared to new DAPs I assume.  I would like more power to drive my V-Moda Crossfade M100 as well,  The old X5 just doesn't cut it for me at all and never really did with over ears.  I would also like a more responsive UI and better response to pushing buttons and such.  I find high gain on the X5 doesn't drive my M100 well enough  to my tastes.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #6,015 of 6,795

By the way, the reason why some DX80s have had more hiss than others is that the very first batch had different capacitors inside and with some cables, they put out more noise. This has been fixed after the very first batch.​

​Is it possible to know if i have a first batch with the serial number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back