iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 6, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #5,806 of 6,795
Would it be safer to buy a DX 80 or an Onkyo DP-X1 or should I wait for the DP-X1A?  I find the fact that it is similar to my Samsung Galaxy S6 a big plus and I like being able to have photos and music videos on it, but it is not a deal breaker.  It is just a nice bonus.  The last post really disturbs me about Ibasso quality.  Please correct me if I am missing something.
dp x1A?

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #5,807 of 6,795
DP-X1A is an updated  version of the DP-X1 with upgraded amps or dacs, better quality jacks and re enforced jacks, twice the storage space, and I belideve, but don't quote me a more reliable battery and firmware.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #5,811 of 6,795
I want a DX 80, but the problems with the battery, motherboard, hissing, and firmware are making me nervous about getting one.  How likely is it that I would encounter one or more of these problems.  I would like to buy from B&H Photo.  Do they have the latest problem free DX 80?  I do not have the time, energy or money to keep sending it back to China at my expense.  I do not deal with stress well so I kind of need a fairly sure guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem with it if I buy it this way.

Riley Beale
 I got my DX80 from BH Photo in august. I got the good one so far.

I have purchased quite a bit of pro camera gear from B&H Photo and have had mostly good service. I purchased a new Canon L lens once and received an open box item. I just purchased my DX80 from B&H and received an open box item. The shipping box did not have any damage and the DC80 was wrapped in bubble wrap, but my ibasso gift box arrived with a big dent in the corner and without the shrink wrap. I watched a YouTube unboxing video where the poster had purchased from B&H and the item does come with shrink wrap.
I have not had the chance to try the device yet (I'm on vacation) but I don't feel you should need to worry about that when paying for a new item. I did contact B&H as soon as I opened the box but have yet to hear back. Sadly, because I'm Canadian, I might not be able to get this resolved before returning home.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #5,812 of 6,795
Dude, I don't get your fear of buying from Amazon or Ebay. It's not nineties anymore. They have solid buyer protection , I can vouch for it, since I've used it few times , every single time successfully. Aliexpress and GMarket  are  a different story, I wouldn't buy anything over 50 bucks, since their Buyer protection policies are crap. Also, there are a few excellent online stores for HiFi audio that carry various portable gear, ie. Redfli, Penon Audio, JetAudio etc. Hope this will help you in making your decision.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #5,813 of 6,795
Nice to be here!

After being a happy owner of an iRiver X20 for to many years, I finally replaced it with a DX80 a month or so ago.  So far I'm very happy with it but I have a few newb questions which I thought I would post here as far as organising, setup and use is concerned.

1. Will the library stretch over two SDCards or is there a separate library for each card?   Can I only play one library at a time?  The reason I am asking is that I want to isolate my Ambient,Chill and meditation albums from my general music and when I play them I want to be able to either shuffle play my music library  (normally) either randomly or by genre or play an entire album of meditation.  

2. How does the idle power off option work (ie what is idle?) and does it work in conjunction with the sleep timer.  If not which one overrides the other?

3. Are there any recommended guides for how best to set up libraries?

4. Finally is there any other good user documentation which I could use.  The doco that came with the DX80 is a little short on details.

Thanks all.  
happy_face1.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #5,814 of 6,795
  Dude, I don't get your fear of buying from Amazon or Ebay. It's not nineties anymore. They have solid buyer protection , I can vouch for it, since I've used it few times , every single time successfully. Aliexpress and GMarket  are  a different story, I wouldn't buy anything over 50 bucks, since their Buyer protection policies are crap. Also, there are a few excellent online stores for HiFi audio that carry various portable gear, ie. Redfli, Penon Audio, JetAudio etc. Hope this will help you in making your decision.

I know Amazon has pretty good buyer protection, but Fleabay the return has to have proof it is counterfeit or damaged by the manufacturer and so much paperwork and processes that I don't have the patience for it.  I know both have buyer protection of some kind or another, but I do not have the patience to deal with it if there is a problem.  I also do not have a credit card or bank account so I don't have Paypal and can't open an account.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #5,815 of 6,795
I just observed a weird thing... When i use my unit as a DAC with my MBP, it charges itself. But when i use it as a DAC with my Windows PC, it does not charge... I wonder why is that ? 

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,816 of 6,795
  I just observed a weird thing... When i use my unit as a DAC with my MBP, it charges itself. But when i use it as a DAC with my Windows PC, it does not charge... I wonder why is that ? 

That is interesting. I wonder if it is the current output of the MBP computer or the way the USB is handled by the different machines.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 7, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5,817 of 6,795

DX80 in the USB DAC mode announces itself as a self-powered device. It seems that Linux/FreeBSD (which is also MacOS) driver acknowledges it, while Windows driver ignores this information. I've faced a similar problem: DX80 drains power from my Android (=Linux) tablet.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #5,818 of 6,795

Lurker0

DX80 in the USB DAC mode announces itself as a self-powered device. It seems that Linux/FreeBSD (which is also MacOS) driver acknowledges it, while Windows driver ignores this information. I've faced a similar problem: DX80 drains power from my Android (=Linux) tablet.

I was almost sure that this is a driver thing...  Спасибо :wink:

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5,819 of 6,795

There are many variables with different combinations as Lurker0 has mentioned. It would be more up to the Mac and Windows software teams to sort this out. It would be nice to have an option to charge and external device or not in a preference menu on the computer.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back