iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #5,776 of 6,795

Update on DX80 battery replacement.  I opted to send my unit to China for battery replacement.  It was done under warranty. I purchased it though Amazon.  I used USPS Flat Rate box for 67 USD.  This took 9 days to arrive at iBasso.
After 4 days it was shipped back via DHL at their expense.  This took 3 days, so you get what you pay for on shipping.

After playing for 8 hours with the display off into an ATH-MRS7 the battery discharged from 99% to 42%.  This performance is better than new and I am completely satisfied.
I inquired if iBasso had recommendations for charging and usage to maximizing battery life.
They replied "No matter how you use the battery, the battery life is almost the same."

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #5,777 of 6,795

No.  You would need to send the DX 80 Ibasso for a battery replacement.  It is not user replaceable therefor they only replace themselves.  They do not want users doing it themselves nor unauthorized repairmen doing it either.  Ibasso will not sell you an extra battery.  Hope this helps.  Good luck and happy listening!

you know, shipping to them and the battery for me expensive.
maybe they are sold elsewhere or is it a fake?

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,778 of 6,795
iBasso could do with getting some distributors in other countries really. I got my DX80 through Amazon as well, so was buying blind, just based on reviews. It would have been good to demo the device somewhere. There are places near where I live that stock A&K DAPs now - iBasso should follow suit. Sending stuff back and forth to China isn't ideal...

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5,779 of 6,795

Update on DX80 battery replacement.  I opted to send my unit to China for battery replacement.  It was done under warranty. I purchased it though Amazon.  I used USPS Flat Rate box for 67 USD.  This took 9 days to arrive at iBasso.
After 4 days it was shipped back via DHL at their expense.  This took 3 days, so you get what you pay for on shipping.

After playing for 8 hours with the display off into an ATH-MRS7 the battery discharged from 99% to 42%.  This performance is better than new and I am completely satisfied.
I inquired if iBasso had recommendations for charging and usage to maximizing battery life.
They replied "No matter how you use the battery, the battery life is almost the same."

I have a number of test units. One I don't use and just let it sit to check the battery every week. After a month it self discharged to 83% and now stays there. Even the slow discharge special batteries I have here discharge some, which is normal and then stay at around 80 to 90%. So the battery is staying at a good point now for long term storage. Another I have plugged in all the time and also cycle it a lot. It holds a good charge. Sadly some of the first batteries had the discharge problems as some have seen and gotten replaced. The batteries we have used for some time now have a very good life and should last easily a number of years.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #5,780 of 6,795
  iBasso could do with getting some distributors in other countries really. I got my DX80 through Amazon as well, so was buying blind, just based on reviews. It would have been good to demo the device somewhere. There are places near where I live that stock A&K DAPs now - iBasso should follow suit. Sending stuff back and forth to China isn't ideal...

If people know of good distributors let us know.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 4, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #5,781 of 6,795

I already wrote them about it.
answer - they asked me to be their representative.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #5,782 of 6,795
Since the latest FW update, my DX80 has started to stop playing in the middle of a song. Has happened 3 times since the update & it will start playing if I press the play button & then work fine for that listening session. Anyone else experiencing this?
kev

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #5,783 of 6,795
  you know, shipping to them and the battery for me expensive.
maybe they are sold elsewhere or is it a fake?

I would strongly suggest not replacing the battery yourself.  I would send it to Ibasso to make sure the right battery is installed and it gets done properly.  You would void all warranties by replacing it yourself or having somebody else do it.  Then if you have another problem Ibasso will not help you and you would be stuck with a loss of $359.00.  If you install a battery that does not meet exact Ibasso DX 80 specs it could explode, melt or severely overheat causing injury, damage to your person, property, and device.  Samsung tried to put a battery that had too much power into the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and they were exploding.  They are facing a mountain of lawsuits and found the replacements were doing the same thing.  They ended up taking the phone completely off the market and ditching the entire product for good.  Replace the battery at your own risk.  Please be careful.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #5,784 of 6,795
Silly of me I did not know I would have to send a unit to China to replace the battery. I think it is a great product  and I love my DX80  but I would not buy it anyway if I knew that. I bought it from B&H online but they have a store in NYC. The question to iBasso: why don't you find someone in NA to do that?

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,785 of 6,795
  Here is my picture of disassembled DX80. You may see there the battery is labeled as 605083, 3.8V. The number means 6mm by 50mm by 83mm HxWxL. Also, you can see there is not enough room for any bigger cell. You may try to find something close in size. 3.7V is more easy to find and should work as well, but you'll have less capacity. If you find a cell w/o a controller board, it can be taken and soldered from the original battery.

All at your own risk without any warranty, neither expressed nor implied, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for warning, reading your and post looking at the pictures was enough for me to abandon the idea of replacing the battery myself. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #5,787 of 6,795
The battery issue seems to be quite wide spread, I had to send mine for repair, they said they had to replace the logic board. Since then all working fine, but I am a quite concerned about the quality of components used.

My dealer pulled iBasso from their offering, kept Fiio, A&K and others.

Any comments, response from iBasso regarding the issue?

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,789 of 6,795
  The battery issue seems to be quite wide spread, I had to send mine for repair, they said they had to replace the logic board. Since then all working fine, but I am a quite concerned about the quality of components used.

My dealer pulled iBasso from their offering, kept Fiio, A&K and others.

Any comments, response from iBasso regarding the issue?

I know they had some issues with the batteries in some of the early units. That has been said a few times. I have been running mine a long time every day with no issues. I have had more issues with some of my other daps to a greater degree than with the DX80. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,790 of 6,795
It seems like Ibasso takes forever to roll out daps and then use low quality parts.  This seems to happen with every dap they make.  There is a theme here and it is turning me off of wanting an Ibasso product.  This seems to be their way of doing business to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back