iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #5,791 of 6,795
Ibasso seems to have a lot of the same problems with every model dap they make.  It seems not like a one off issue.  It appears to me that a lot more people have problems with Ibasso daps than people that do not have problems with their daps.  Ibasso seems to not fix any of the problems before rolling something new out and fazing something older out.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #5,792 of 6,795
  It seems like Ibasso takes forever to roll out daps and then use low quality parts.  This seems to happen with every dap they make.  There is a theme here and it is turning me off of wanting an Ibasso product.  This seems to be their way of doing business to me.

A company that operates like that would not stay in business. They had some bugs to work out, and they fixed them. I mean look at Samsung, even a company that big has issues from time to time. They tested their batteries all they could, then found out the batch they got wasn't up to snuff. No way to tell until they are in the field. Just make sure you order directly from iBasso to get the latest product.

I've had my DX80 for over a year and it continues to be one of the best products I've ever purchased for audio. It sounds so much better than even many desktop units that cost quite a bit more.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #5,793 of 6,795
Riley Beale I would not agree with you . DX80 has top notch parts inside, starting from good dac chips,gold plated board, impressive power circuit  and Nichicon audio capacitors. DACs are shielded separately from the digital section (other players with this configuration such as the A&K 120 II, cost as much as 3 times the DX80. And considering the price and the sound it delivers, this thing is a bargain.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #5,794 of 6,795
  It seems like Ibasso takes forever to roll out daps and then use low quality parts.  This seems to happen with every dap they make.  There is a theme here and it is turning me off of wanting an Ibasso product.  This seems to be their way of doing business to me.

You are wong about this. I have seen the parts they use as I have opened a couple of their daps and the parts are top quality. The boards are good and everything is shielded well. You make an assumption that is unfounded. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #5,796 of 6,795

If that was the case, why would they have to replace logic board to fix power consumption problem? This reminds me issues with products from Eastern Germany in early 80s, sorry.

Stuff happens. Sorry but this makes no sense to me. I have 4 Mac computers right now. In the past, 2 of them needed complete mother board replacements. Does that mean Apple is junk, I don't think so. That is what warranties are for. I had a sports car, the rear shocks went out and were replaced under warranty as was the turbo, stuff happens. I have a Leica M9 camera. Not cheap at the original price of 7,000 and that was just the body. The sensor required replacement 2 times. Leica is good stuff, made in Germany, but stuff happens. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #5,797 of 6,795
I'm hoping for an easier solution than dx80 seems to be. Would love changeable battery with the double card slots and no Ui issues. It seems everything that isn't an iPod has some weird UI stuff happening. Sign of the times I guess. I am glad many are happy with their dx80's now. I was ready to buy when it was being made, but I waited and saw the issues. All the while I got used to my dx90 and it is still going strong. The battery change on the go is very helpful, and I love the amount of power it has. I use it as a transport from time to time as well and it works for me there as well.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,798 of 6,795
Never opened my DX80 up but other than some issues with previous firmwares I am very happy with my player.  Battery works fine and the sound is great. (Just get that album sorting problem after restarting and I'm good).

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #5,799 of 6,795
I want a DX 80, but the problems with the battery, motherboard, hissing, and firmware are making me nervous about getting one.  How likely is it that I would encounter one or more of these problems.  I would like to buy from B&H Photo.  Do they have the latest problem free DX 80?  I do not have the time, energy or money to keep sending it back to China at my expense.  I do not deal with stress well so I kind of need a fairly sure guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem with it if I buy it this way.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #5,800 of 6,795
  I want a DX 80, but the problems with the battery, motherboard, hissing, and firmware are making me nervous about getting one.  How likely is it that I would encounter one or more of these problems.  I would like to buy from B&H Photo.  Do they have the latest problem free DX 80?  I do not have the time, energy or money to keep sending it back to China at my expense.  I do not deal with stress well so I kind of need a fairly sure guarantee that I wouldn't have a problem with it if I buy it this way.

Can't guarantee that B&H has the latest one, but they are a good company so they will take care of you if you have any issues.

I haven't seen any motherboard problems so I don't know what you're referring to there and you won't have any hissing problems as long as you aren't using incredibly sensitve IEMs. That is probably one of the only drawbacks of the DX80 is that it is not great for very sensitive/low impedance IEMs. It pairs insanely well with my Oppo PM-3. It's a wonderful pairing for any power hungry headphone.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5,801 of 6,795
  Can't guarantee that B&H has the latest one, but they are a good company so they will take care of you if you have any issues.

I haven't seen any motherboard problems so I don't know what you're referring to there and you won't have any hissing problems as long as you aren't using incredibly sensitve IEMs. That is probably one of the only drawbacks of the DX80 is that it is not great for very sensitive/low impedance IEMs. It pairs insanely well with my Oppo PM-3. It's a wonderful pairing for any power hungry headphone.

I would be using my Shure SE846 , Westone 3, Ulitmate Ears TipleFi 10 and V-Moda M-100.  Would any of those have hiss?

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #5,802 of 6,795

I would be using my Shure SE846 , Westone 3, Ulitmate Ears TipleFi 10 and V-Moda M-100.  Would any of those have hiss?

I wish I could answer that. I don't really know as I'm not an IEM user, I have just seen some people have issues. You may want to search the thread for those headphone names and see what you find.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #5,803 of 6,795
I have to pay via Visa gift card so ordering from Ibasso in China via Paypal is not an option for me.  Paypal does not take gift credit cards and you cannot order with them from another country.  Anybody know any place in the U.S. that I can order from that would accept a prepaid Visa gift card and would likely have new production stock?  I cannot pay with a Green Dot Visa card for personal reasons.  i am not comfortable ordering expensve high end products from Amazon or Fleabay because they have a lot of defective and counterfeit products.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #5,804 of 6,795

I pair DX80 with UE900. First DX80 had some hiss sound when i changed volume. It had consumption problems and i changed it. Second DX80 has no issues with hissing at all (completely black background) as in specs DX80 has output impendance <0.1ohm. But after 3 month of use i have consumption problems again: not so hard leakage like with my first one, but still - i charge it at the evening - go to sleep - wake up and find my dx80 with 88%... I will contact my reseller and arrange that i want to keep it till dx200 will arrive and then change my dx80 to dx200, if i like dx200 ofc. OR just change DX80 again... 
Honestly i find DX80 sound really balanced, dynamic and analitical. Cayin N5/i5 with ak4490 sounds thin, but has very nice mids and airy highs, which are very good for classic and laid-back music styles.
I want to know if Schiit Gungnir Multibit is worth adding 900$ in terms of SQ. I want to feel how much more advanced this DAC is compared to DX80.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,805 of 6,795
Would it be safer to buy a DX 80 or an Onkyo DP-X1 or should I wait for the DP-X1A?  I find the fact that it is similar to my Samsung Galaxy S6 a big plus and I like being able to have photos and music videos on it, but it is not a deal breaker.  It is just a nice bonus.  The last post really disturbs me about Ibasso quality.  Please correct me if I am missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back