iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #4,756 of 6,795
Wait though. There is one area where the DX80 lags. While listening to a song and you press the NEXT button there is about a 1.5 second delay before it switches to the next song. Not a big deal, but whenever I experience this is always has me wondering for a moment if I pressed the button correctly,

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4,757 of 6,795
  Wait though. There is one area where the DX80 lags. While listening to a song and you press the NEXT button there is about a 1.5 second delay before it switches to the next song. Not a big deal, but whenever I experience this is always has me wondering for a moment if I pressed the button correctly,

This can be firmware dependent.  Some FW has exhibited this while others, including the 1.4.2 for me right now, have been quite snappy.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #4,758 of 6,795
Hi guys. Thank you all for the help, it has really cleared up the UI issue for me. The iBasso is looking like a good choice, shame about the lack of search function though. I just wanted to ask a few more questions, if I may. 

Firstly, what is the output power of the iBasso? I am planning on getting a good set of headphones (looking like either the Sennheiser HD650 or the AKG K712 Pro) in the near future and was wondering if the dx80 would be able to drive these. I have seen all the numbers, but can't really make sense of it all.

And secondly, what is the dx80 like in comparison with the Pioneer XDP-100R? I am comparing these two as they both seem to have the features I need (2 microSD, decent sound, touchscreen interface). What is the difference in power/UI/performance of these two DAPs? I want something that will be able to hold all my lossless files, hopefully power a good set of headphones and connect to my home HiFi system (I think the optical out will be handy in that regard). 

Again, thanks for the help!

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #4,759 of 6,795
  Firstly, what is the output power of the iBasso? I am planning on getting a good set of headphones (looking like either the Sennheiser HD650 or the AKG K712 Pro) in the near future and was wondering if the dx80 would be able to drive these. I have seen all the numbers, but can't really make sense of it all.

Likewise, math and science don't mean much to me. The matter must be tackled experientially.

Today, while my wife drove my family home from the beach I decided to see how well my brand-new DX80 could drive my HE-500s directly from the phone out jack (no amplifier). To its immense credit, the DX80 pushed my planars to a very acceptable volume level with the internal setting at max (150). The instrumental separation and soundstage were very impressive—especially since in the background I had my four-year-old talking to her siblings, my wife running the radio, the gentle rumble of our SUV's engine, and road noise. The bass suffered a bit, which could just as easily have been due to the fact that I was riding in a car at the time, which always seems to soften the bass response of any headphones or IEMs I use in transit.

To say I was very impressed at the DX80's performance is an understatement. There's no question at all that the HE-500s demand amplification; however, this DAP delivered performance several times better than I had expected from it. By comparison, listening at max volume directly from my Samsung Note 4 was laughable: not only could I hear every bit of surrounding noise, chatter, and music, but it was all as loud or louder than the song I was listening to.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #4,761 of 6,795

Well, since the AKG's are rated at 62 ohms I would guess that the DX80 would be able to drive them okay. But the HD650 is rated for 300 ohms. I kind of doubt the DX8o could drive those at an acceptable level. Maybe someone here as first hand experience with either of these headphones.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #4,762 of 6,795
I don't have any problems driving the HD 600, K701 or HD 800 straight of the HD 800 (not only volume but also control). I am somebody who does not need much volume to be happy though, so I might not be the best example. With the power output of the DX80 however, I doubt that someone will get issues driving these headphones to unhealthy listening levels.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,765 of 6,795
Djinnenjous

[COLOR=111111]how do you like the sound of the dunu titan 1? you listen to them on dx80?[/COLOR]

Sadly, the Titan 1 and I never really became good friends. By my estimation it was overhyped by about 6,000%, as I find it to be overly bright and fatiguing and not to have any particular stand-out qualities that other 'phones can't replicate or outclass.

I've used the Titans once in something like six months, and not for very long; and I've never even tried them with my DX80. I'll give them a shot today out of curiosity since you've mentioned it, but I doubt I'll be particularly impressed.

I have both and they both have there pros and cons. I like my DX90 sound wise a bit more.

I've always been madly in love with my DX90 but since I got my DX80 I've only used the former DAP when my DX80's battery was completely dead. To be fair, I do not think the DX80 is strictly superior; part of this is excitement over a new toy and it also has to do with my treble sensitivities and preference in sound signature.

Based in my experiences with both, I'd automatically assume literally anything made by iBasso is worth the price of admission.

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #4,768 of 6,795
  If you are asking me my only use for the DX80 is a source only for my iFi Micro iDSD. So it always sounds the same coming out of the Micro which is sublime!!

thinking of getting a idsd micro , please tell us more

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #4,769 of 6,795

thinking of getting a idsd micro , please tell us more

Get it, it the perfect combo for DX80. I use mine via optical, there is a nice one on Amazon for 20 bucks. If you read @twister6 review he goes into depth really good on how these 2 work together and he has a link to the optical cable. I use mine with my Oppo PM3 and its they great synergy. They can power ANY headphone out there with no issues and have plenty of options for all your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back