iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,772 of 6,795
I ended up buying the DX80 a few weeks ago now. The dual micro slots are absolutely amazing! With 400GB of music on my player I have basically a sample of everything I love from my library, and more. Each listening session is a surprise with songs I haven't heard for ages and forgot how much they mean to me. 

The interface is a tad laggy (compared to the newer smart phones) but it functions perfectly. I had no giant hiccups with firmware or bugs yet, fingers crossed. 

Compared with the DX90 this thing scans at least 4 times as fast.

The only thing that's sort of a deal breaker is the battery! It's not removable :frowning2: I loved that about the DX90. What do I do when this bat goes kaput? I also noticed the battery lasts much longer than the DX90, however over the past few weeks it appears the battery started draining a little faster than the first couple of days, and finally reached a plateau lasting a few hours or a few more depending on what type of file I'm listening to. It definitely won't last the advertised "14 hours" (maybe playing mp3's?). 

Overall I'm super happy with it. The sound on the DX90 may be a tad more detailed and deeper in the low end, although the dual SD's on the 80 make up for that! Come to pappa micro SD 1TB! I'm waiting for you :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #4,773 of 6,795
I bought this DX80 2 weeks ago, after my DX90 got stolen,
I'm already regretting it, man those dual SD were so tempting ! I was lacking space on the DX90... but then... that awful firmware!

ok ok I had my DX90 rockboxed, and now back on an OS that is not even worth my iHP140 firmware... man for that price, I'd have expected you'd give some money to the dev for a decent job.

Soundwise, it's great even with my K701 unampped, I do appreciate the quality, but that's it.

now if someone from iBasso read this, can you have a look a those points :
- why putting a delete file option reachable with 2 touch of the screen while obviously there is no reason to delete files on an offline player that won't suddenly need to increase space ; can you add an option to disable it? oh btw, yes a hold combo would be appreciated at least.
- I have 2 x 128Gb µSD, browing is a pain with such a big font, I'd love to have 25 lines displayed on that nice screen instead of seven, simply reducing the fonts and add a horizontal scrolling display for long title would do.
- MEDIA SCANNING ; yeah caps because this point is so terrible. Even tho I have scanned both my SD cards, it is still doing a media scan every 3 folders I'm browsing into when I play a song.
so basically I play 3 songs, then browse into another folder to play another song and then it simply stops any music playing for 20 secs until it finish scanning (FLAC mostly)... if there is no fix for that, I'll be selling it back
I want to precise that no matter if I have already played a file from that same folder in the past, it is rescanning it.

oh and I hate not being able to control completly the player by physical buttons, but that's just me I guess so
I'll spare you the comment on how so many function are missing knowing that I didn't expect it to be as great as rockbox, but those up here seems fundamental to me.

cheers.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,774 of 6,795
  I bought this DX80 2 weeks ago, after my DX90 got stolen,
I'm already regretting it, man those dual SD were so tempting ! I was lacking space on the DX90... but then... that awful firmware!

ok ok I had my DX90 rockboxed, and now back on an OS that is not even worth my iHP140 firmware... man for that price, I'd have expected you'd give some money to the dev for a decent job.

Soundwise, it's great even with my K701 unampped, I do appreciate the quality, but that's it.

now if someone from iBasso read this, can you have a look a those points :
- why putting a delete file option reachable with 2 touch of the screen while obviously there is no reason to delete files on an offline player that won't suddenly need to increase space ; can you add an option to disable it? oh btw, yes a hold combo would be appreciated at least.
- I have 2 x 128Gb µSD, browing is a pain with such a big font, I'd love to have 25 lines displayed on that nice screen instead of seven, simply reducing the fonts and add a horizontal scrolling display for long title would do.
- MEDIA SCANNING ; yeah caps because this point is so terrible. Even tho I have scanned both my SD cards, it is still doing a media scan every 3 folders I'm browsing into when I play a song.
so basically I play 3 songs, then browse into another folder to play another song and then it simply stops any music playing for 20 secs until it finish scanning (FLAC mostly)... if there is no fix for that, I'll be selling it back
I want to precise that no matter if I have already played a file from that same folder in the past, it is rescanning it.

oh and I hate not being able to control completly the player by physical buttons, but that's just me I guess so
I'll spare you the comment on how so many function are missing knowing that I didn't expect it to be as great as rockbox, but those up here seems fundamental to me.

cheers.

Have you ever used the iRiver 140 or 120 FW? It is horrible. DX80 FW is way ahead of anything the iRiver ever had. Also there is always a learning curve so give yourself time.

I would do a factory reset and rescan the cards. I have all of my cards scanning in without a problem, and a few null files but I get a few on every player I have.  

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #4,776 of 6,795

Have you ever used the iRiver 140 or 120 FW? It is horrible. DX80 FW is way ahead of anything the iRiver ever had. Also there is always a learning curve so give yourself time.

I would do a factory reset and rescan the cards. I have all of my cards scanning in without a problem, and a few null files but I get a few on every player I have.  

Only problem with that advice is everything can be working fine for days and even weeks... then out of the blue all kinds of problems can arise for no reason whatsoever. My player was working flawlessly for weeks then one night of listening I got pops, clicks, cutting out, end of songs cut..etc. I did the reset with the tool and it kept rebooting while scanning. Went back to 1.3.3. and still pops and clicks. Got so fed up I turned it off and left it for the night. Next day I did a reset with 1.4.2 and everything worked fine. No noises, scanned both cards fine. Worked for a few days like that and then started with scanning issues again.

In my experience just because the player works great today does not mean it wont glitch sometime down the road. Keep in mind thats without loading additional files or changing any settings. Thats my biggest complaint. I hate having to keep my fingers crossed and lighting a candle every time I turn the thing on in hopes of not having any issues that day.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #4,777 of 6,795

Sacrilege!  It may not have been pretty, but it worked and I don't believe I ever experienced a crash in over a decade of use.

Lol. Yeah, I guess some liked it ok but I could never get used to it and just did not like the interface. Rockbox was the only way I could ever use the iRiver. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,778 of 6,795
Here's a scanning issue I'm having that I haven't heard mentioned yet: after a full scan, my DX80 starts slowly "forgetting" songs.

Two nights ago, while browsing the album menu, I noticed several albums were missing tracks. If I went to the file browser where the incomplete album was, I could manually rescan the folder and that would fix it. No big deal.

I figured the last scan I did missed a few tracks, so I did a full, successful-seeming scan of both cards (2x 128gb), with a result of 7009 tracks. Seemed right.

Well, the next night I checked, and I had 6976 tracks listed. Last night: 6937.

What gives? Any ideas? Not the worst problem in the world, just seems really weird and I was wondering if any one else has/had this issue.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,779 of 6,795
Here's a scanning issue I'm having that I haven't heard mentioned yet: after a full scan, my DX80 starts slowly "forgetting" songs.

Two nights ago, while browsing the album menu, I noticed several albums were missing tracks. If I went to the file browser where the incomplete album was, I could manually rescan the folder and that would fix it. No big deal.

I figured the last scan I did missed a few tracks, so I did a full, successful-seeming scan of both cards (2x 128gb), with a result of 7009 tracks. Seemed right.

What gives? Any ideas? Not the worst problem in the world, just seems really weird and I was wondering if any one else has/had this issue.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4,780 of 6,795

Should have mentioned I'm on Lurker0's 1.4.2.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,781 of 6,795
One thing I wanted to know is: I tested the sound between 1.3.3 and 1.4.2, both Lurker0's. I though the sound on 1.4.2 had less bass and more treble. But...I din't test on stock firmware. What do guys have to say? Has it got the same behavior? I can't test it now.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,782 of 6,795

Hi Jamato,

yes I did use it for a decade like Wolfen, didn't even use rockbox on it.
I'm a organized and folder type of guy, so I'm never using the database, in that option iHP was completely fine, it was easy to browse, no lag at all.
plus the awful tiny screen of iriver was displaying as many folders as this DX80...
I'm going to go through my whole collection in order to clean at best my tags, then I'll do the factory reset,
but tags management is a pain whenever you change players, hence my habits of browsing through folders.

Should have mentioned I'm on Lurker0's 1.4.2.

has lurker left the possibility to delete folders on his FW? maybe inadvertently deleted some albums?

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #4,783 of 6,795
it seems that everyone experienced with battery drain issue
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back