iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 7, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,681 of 6,795

I have passed this on to our SW team. Have you tried the card in any other device since formatting and loading it with music?

hi paul, thanks for your answer and help! 

yes, i tried it with a card reader in win10 and with my cowon plenue D (which is even pickier than the dx80, when it comes to libraries), the card works fine as long as i keep it away from the dx80 :wink: i also scanned the card and the music files, separately, for errors... with no findings.

i just reflashed the 1.42 FW again, changed to another, freshly formatted 128gb card, and only put the sound files back on it that used to work with the dx80 and the FW1.42. but this time with the same sad result, the dx80 stopped scanning the sd card around 28-30% and rebooted. after that win10 again said that there was a problem with the sd card as soon as i conected the dx80. 

its really strange, especially as i had the dx80 running with 1.42 and both cards with no problems for weeks. it seems that maybe a wrongly tagged file, or an odd album artworks somehow screwd it up... idk, but relly appreciate that you guys are looking into it...

edit: i went back to FW 1.33 now and the dx80 scans the same card with the same music files just fine, it takes noticably longer, but no reboots and all files show up in the library. so i guess some of the changes made in FW 1.4x (1.4.0 dind't work either) must be the culprid...

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4,683 of 6,795
I wish ibasso would make another 200$ player to replace the dx50

•No android OS
•No touchscreen, just buttons
•simple proven DAC (like cs4398 or wm8790)
•But excellent wiring and circuitry, all silver like dx90J (NO MORE HISS)
•we loved the replaceable battery in the dx50/dx90
•keep the 255 step volume!!!
•give it the good jacks from the dx90

And please gapless playback should always work no matter what.

I know this isn't about the dx80 guys but I had to get some people's attention somehow lol sorry

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,684 of 6,795
  ... i just reflashed the 1.42 FW again, changed to another, freshly formatted 128gb card, and only put the sound files back on it that used to work with the dx80 and the FW1.42. but this time with the same sad result, the dx80 stopped scanning the sd card around 28-30% and rebooted. after that win10 again said that there was a problem with the sd card as soon as i conected the dx80. ....

edit: i went back to FW 1.33 now and the dx80 scans the same card with the same music files just fine....

This sort of nonsense is why it's clear that iBasso does not care about their customers. There are dozens and dozens of posts in this thread like this one--from people who are bending over backwards to debug and troubleshoot for the benefit of iBasso. It should not fall to the customer to troubleshoot their card size, file tagging, etc. etc. etc. The product spec when you purchase a DX80 does not say, "Only able to play music that is tagged in such-and-such a manner on such-and-such specific microSD cards."

The obviously-flawed FW 1.4.2 has been out for weeks now. Many people on this thread have complained that it can't scan their cards, which means that many more people (who don't know about this thread) are suffering from the same problem. Everyone I have seen on this thread who's had problems with it has had zero problems if they simply revert to 1.3.3. Of course, doing that means accepting that they're going to use a crap UI (Definition of "crap": going "back" from a subfolder to its parent always takes you to the top of the parent folder... this is something that was not a problem for Windows 3.1 back before I went to college). This could be fixed in a heartbeat if iBasso just released an updated firmware that scans cards the way 1.3.3 did, but has the UI functionality of 1.4.2. Clearly that's not their plan--probably because the software "team" is actually a single, incompetent, person overwhelmed with writing (probably terrible) firmware for the next product.

People who have no problems with their DX80s will tell me I'm being a jerk for complaining, and/or offer some other suggestion for how I can troubleshoot for iBasso, and/or tell me my tags are no good, and/or tell me my cards are too big, and/or tell me to buy a windows machine and run the factory reset tool, and/or some other excuse. Whatever. I spent what to me is a lot of money on this machine, it doesn't work correctly, the people who sold it to me don't seem to care, and I think it's important to warn anyone who's considering buying one of these things about all of this.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,685 of 6,795
  This sort of nonsense is why it's clear that iBasso does not care about their customers.

This is such a ridiculous statement I don't even know where to begin. So, because they have problems with new firmware, they hate us?

Please, do tell why they would even release new firmware if they didn't care about us? Wouldn't they have just released it at 1.0 and moved on?

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #4,686 of 6,795
I never said that. They don't hate us, they just don't care if we have a bad experience. They are working on the next product.

And I'm sure "Paul" is a great guy, but forum posts don't make my expensive machine work correctly.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #4,687 of 6,795
I wish ibasso would make another 200$ player to replace the dx50

•No android OS
•No touchscreen, just buttons
•simple proven DAC (like cs4398 or wm8790) I wouldn't mind an ESS chip either. :wink:
But excellent wiring and circuitry, all silver like dx90J (NO MORE HISS) Silver wiring alone is not resolving hiss.
•we loved the replaceable battery in the dx50/dx90
•keep the 255 step volume!!! That would be great, as it is an awesome feature of their past and current models (many steps with linear, fine-grained volume increments - pure brilliancy).
•give it the good jacks from the dx90 The jacks used for the DX80 are nice as well (don't have both the same anyway?).

And please gapless playback should always work no matter what. Gapless right from the star, as they did with the DX80, would be great. With the DX90, it took several FWs until it worked flawlessly.

2 Micro SD card slots would be a killer feature, too.

I know this isn't about the dx80 guys but I had to get some people's attention somehow lol sorry

That's a very interesting idea (I kind of doubt it will happen, but it is interesting).

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #4,689 of 6,795
I never said that. They don't hate us, they just don't care if we have a bad experience. They are working on the next product.

And I'm sure "Paul" is a great guy, but forum posts don't make my expensive machine work correctly.

Of course we care if customers have a good experience. We got into this business to enjoy the music and to have others enjoy it. We are currently working on the DX50 and 90 FW and then will work on the DX80 FW. I have sent the information gathered here over time to the software team and they are aware of the problems. We have even had sd cards sent to us. We paid for these and the shipping to try and see why they weren't working. With 1.4.0 and 1.4.2 we allowed for scanning and listening to the music at the same time. This was an attempt to increase listening enjoyment because you don't have to wait for a scan to finish. It seems to have introduced problems with some scanning and that is why there is a difference between the current FW and 1.3.3. We hope to keep the faster scanning method but if the problems continue we may have to revert to the previous type. It is because we do care that we made the change so that people could more quickly start listening to music.

All we can do is try and figure this out as the cards sent to us scanned without a problem and the hardware is exactly the same. It is a puzzle but one way or another it will get straightened out.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #4,690 of 6,795

hi paul, thanks for your answer and help! 

yes, i tried it with a card reader in win10 and with my cowon plenue D (which is even pickier than the dx80, when it comes to libraries), the card works fine as long as i keep it away from the dx80 :wink: i also scanned the card and the music files, separately, for errors... with no findings.

i just reflashed the 1.42 FW again, changed to another, freshly formatted 128gb card, and only put the sound files back on it that used to work with the dx80 and the FW1.42. but this time with the same sad result, the dx80 stopped scanning the sd card around 28-30% and rebooted. after that win10 again said that there was a problem with the sd card as soon as i conected the dx80. 

its really strange, especially as i had the dx80 running with 1.42 and both cards with no problems for weeks. it seems that maybe a wrongly tagged file, or an odd album artworks somehow screwd it up... idk, but relly appreciate that you guys are looking into it...

edit: i went back to FW 1.33 now and the dx80 scans the same card with the same music files just fine, it takes noticably longer, but no reboots and all files show up in the library. so i guess some of the changes made in FW 1.4x (1.4.0 dind't work either) must be the culprid...

Have you tried a full format, not quick but full in exFat? Please try this if you haven't.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,691 of 6,795

Have you tried a full format, not quick but full in exFat? Please try this if you haven't.

no i havent yet, as it takes quite a time to do a full format and copy all the 100GB music forth and back. moreover with exfat the long press on folder to play didn't work last time i tried. i mean the card works in other devices... so i dind't try...

but yea, i will do a full format in exfat, as soon as i found the time...and report back... thanks!

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #4,692 of 6,795

Of course we care if customers have a good experience. .... We are currently working on the DX50 and 90 FW and then will work on the DX80 FW....

Hmmm... I was totally sympathetic to you till I read this!  Fantastic that you've listened to complaints about speed of scanning and rewritten it for 1.4.x.  Totally sympathetic about the difficulties of software development, being a developer myself.  Don't feel that reverting to 1.3.3 is too much of a compromise, for me at least, and I do believe it sounds noticeably better than 1.4.x anyway.

I do have a big problem with you saying that you're doing nothing to address the problems of your current product because you're working on a couple of non-current products.  That doesn't sound like the right priority to me.

You will forever be getting bad publicity if you don't nail your current product's problems as quickly as possible and put the past into the past.  I have no knowledge of what you're doing on DX50/90 but these products have been out for several years and are no longer current (?).  Surely they cannot have problems that are so serious they are worth diverting all your resources away from addressing the (serious, to many people) problems of your current product?

I'm quite prepared to be patient on DX80 + 1.3.3 for the time being but I'd hate to still be reading serial complaints about its firmware a couple of years down the line when it's no longer even a current product.

In summary, what I mean is that, in my opinion, it would be better for iBasso in the long run to commit 100% effort in the short run on getting DX80 to stability asap.  It's your current product and affects your current reputation more than non-current products.  You're already possibly tainted by DX50/90, but doing a great job on DX80 is your redemption for the future and will most affect what people think contemplating the purchase of iBasso products in the future.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #4,693 of 6,795
@Paul - iBasso , @pete99 has a very valid point.I believe DX50/90 are quite stable at the moment and maybe you should get DX80 as most stable as your main priority. It's your future. I'm not getting a DX200 knowing that in the next several months after launch you will be working most of the time on older products. I will know that through one year after launch my DX200 can be very unstable or even unusable.  

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,695 of 6,795
   I'm not getting a DX200 knowing that in the next several months after launch you will be working most of the time on older products.

Would you buy a product knowing that its support will be dropped in a year? I, for one, appreciate iBasso efforts in supporting just discontinued products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back