iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 9, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #4,712 of 6,795

Have you tried a full format, not quick but full in exFat? Please try this if you haven't.

So, now i formatted (full format) the card in exfat, copied the whole bunch of music files back onto the freshly formatted card and re scanned it with FW 1.42... same result, unfortunately. the dx80 rebooted during the scanning process and the library is spoiled... only this time win10 cant open the card anymore when connected to the dx80 as card reader.

so i guess ill have to revert back to 1.33 and wait for a new FW to come...

Im pretty sure [if memory serves] I solved this and other issues by using the factory reset tool - Now everything works fine :)
I think you can find a link on page 1

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,713 of 6,795
Yea!!! after reflashing FW 1.42 by using the batch tool, with the card (and on it my music files) inside, the dx80 now scans the entire card properly.

so i guess this is why everything worked direktly after the update to fw 1.42, as i updated the dx80 loaded with music. but as i took the card out later on, addes some folders, put the card back and rescanned, the dx80 stuck and rebooted....  

im not sure what will happen if i try to add some music again and im not in the mood to test it now :wink: but for now using the batch tool is a good workaround to get the dx80 running again on FW1.42

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,716 of 6,795
  Yea!!! after reflashing FW 1.42 by using the batch tool, with the card (and on it my music files) inside, the dx80 now scans the entire card properly.

so i guess this is why everything worked direktly after the update to fw 1.42, as i updated the dx80 loaded with music. but as i took the card out later on, addes some folders, put the card back and rescanned, the dx80 stuck and rebooted....  

im not sure what will happen if i try to add some music again and im not in the mood to test it now :wink: but for now using the batch tool is a good workaround to get the dx80 running again on FW1.42

Glad to hear it :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #4,717 of 6,795
So after about one week with my DX80 I've fallen completely head-over-heels in love with it. I'm still rocking FW 1.3.3 because I wanted extensive experience with that before I began flirting with alternate versions--especially if they newest might introduce bugs. My initial impressions are incredibly positive. I have treble sensitivities and very little tolerance for sibilance; however, I am also a massive fan of extreme metal (death, black, doom, etc.), which is pretty much the single most poorly produced grand genre in all of music. Production values and dynamic ranges in metal are very commonly atrocious. As much as I love my DX90, its analytical and brighter nature tend to draw a lot of attention to the worst qualities in my favorite music--especially when paired with anything but IEMs that feature smooth or rolled off treble.

The DX80 is, to my ears, considerably smoother in the upper registers and has a much richer, more textured low end that makes bass guitars sound absolutely sexy. Paired with my FLC8S, I've already heard micro details for the first time in songs that I've listened to for approximately ten years. (No exaggeration!) In short, I already prefer my brand-new, un-broken-in DX80 to my hardware-modded DX90. The differences aren't night and day, but they're significant enough for me to be game changers.

As a guy who will never stand a snowball's chance in hell of affording anything by A&K, and who will almost certainly have to wait years in order to get a DX200, this is my end game for a long time. I am very, VERY happy with it.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #4,718 of 6,795
It always depends on the device and headphones in question, but I have generally found that I prefer using high gain and lower volume levels. If your headphones aren't that sensitive, then high gain is always the better option. Low gain is really just there to prevent people from blowing up very sensitive headphones and to reduce hiss with sensitive headphones.

I believe here it doesn't matter, I guess output voltage doesn't change.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #4,719 of 6,795
Paired with my FLC8S, I've already heard micro details for the first time in songs that I've listened to for approximately ten years. (No exaggeration!) In short, I already prefer my brand-new, un-broken-in DX80 to my hardware-modded DX90. The differences aren't night and day, but they're significant enough for me to be game changers.

I had a very similar experience when I first listened to my DX80. The first song I played was Steely Dan's - Aja. This is an album I have listened to for 40 years! Originally on vinyl, tape, then CD. Hearing it on the DX80 was like hearing it again for the first time. Subtleties and details I never heard before. That was my "Ah hah" moment in regards to all this "audiophile" stuff.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #4,722 of 6,795
[COLOR=111111]you probably also dx80 the other player did not listen, listen to the dx100 it also has excellent sound![/COLOR]

I own both. The DX100 isn't worth the money. It actually sounds about the same level as the DX80 and 90. In any event, fw and other issues make ibasso daps bad value for money. I will steer clear from now on.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,723 of 6,795
I own both. The DX100 isn't worth the money. It actually sounds about the same level as the DX80 and 90. In any event, fw and other issues make ibasso daps bad value for money. I will steer clear from now on.

u got to try hdp r10!

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,724 of 6,795
  I own both. The DX100 isn't worth the money. It actually sounds about the same level as the DX80 and 90.
In any event, fw and other issues make ibasso daps bad value for money. I will steer clear from now on.

Well, I have my DX100 now for 2 weeks. And all I can say is that I found the difference in sq/signature to be so big, that I put my good ol' DX90 for sale a few days later...
Funny how people can hear/judge things so totally differently
rolleyes.gif

u got to try hdp r10!

Is HDP R10 (DX100 Japanese edition right?) even better than the ''normal'' DX100?
If so, what are the differences?

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,725 of 6,795

Well, I have my DX100 now for 2 weeks. And all I can say is that I found the difference in sq/signature to be so big, that I put my good ol' DX90 for sale a few days later...
Funny how people can hear/judge things so totally differently
rolleyes.gif

Is HDP R10 (DX100 Japanese edition right?) even better than the ''normal'' DX100?
If so, what are the differences?

The R10 is a lower voltage. Some like it better, some don't. I find a significant difference in sound when comparing the DX100 to the DX90 and 80. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back