iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,441 of 6,795
  Cheers, the DP-X1 does look good. I just re-jigged my SDcards today, and the DX80 is scanning much better now. The null files are those FLAC files that one item with a .cue sheet. In other words, I only get null'd when FLAC albums are not separated into individual tracks. Anyone else get this? 

I don't have any cue files on the cards for the DX80. All FLAC albums are split before being moved to the cards. Perhaps I'll add some and see if they cause any issues with the scanning.

I still get the null files, and it does seem to happen with some files more regularly than others. I've retagged them all and it still happens. However that's really not my biggest challenge. That card still scans to 100% without any other errors. Just some null files. The other card consistently scans to 97-99% and reboots the DX80 without all the files being scanned. Same cards/files work on the DX90 without issues. While I could go back to 1.33, I find the menu navigation to be much more frustrating to deal with. Later today I'll try reformatting the cards again and starting from scratch and see if that improves things. Not everyone is having the scanning issue. Cards, files, and choice of which firmware to use are really the only variables that we can control.  

I keep pushing forward with the DX80 though as I'm a fan of the sound quality, form factor, features, and overall UI. It's on the edge of being the perfect DAP for me. 

@Paul, if you want more information about my specific cards, files, etc., or I can assist with beta testing the firmware, let me know. 

May 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,442 of 6,795

I don't have any cue files on the cards for the DX80. All FLAC albums are split before being moved to the cards. Perhaps I'll add some and see if they cause any issues with the scanning.

I still get the null files, and it does seem to happen with some files more regularly than others. I've retagged them all and it still happens. However that's really not my biggest challenge. That card still scans to 100% without any other errors. Just some null files. The other card consistently scans to 97-99% and reboots the DX80 without all the files being scanned. Same cards/files work on the DX90 without issues. While I could go back to 1.33, I find the menu navigation to be much more frustrating to deal with. Later today I'll try reformatting the cards again and starting from scratch and see if that improves things. Not everyone is having the scanning issue. Cards, files, and choice of which firmware to use are really the only variables that we can control.  

I keep pushing forward with the DX80 though as I'm a fan of the sound quality, form factor, features, and overall UI. It's on the edge of being the perfect DAP for me. 

@Paul, if you want more information about my specific cards, files, etc., or I can assist with beta testing the firmware, let me know. 

I have sent you a PM.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #4,443 of 6,795
I'll be honest, I read about three pages before I had to stop. 

If someone can provide immediate satisfaction: What's the verdict? 

Is the DX80 a worthy upgrade over the DX90? Is the CS4398 worth it? 

I have some CS4398 stuff and never cared much for the sound, although it may be the implementation. 

May 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,444 of 6,795

​I don't have any cue files or FLAC. All mine are ALAC and I still have a few albums that null. But I agree with you I've had a couple different DAPs and each one had inherent problems. They will get fixed in time. As for the DX80 I am on 1.4.2 and did have scan problems with one of my SD cards. But since I have switched cards, my scan problems have stopped.

@Paul I can also provide you with which cards I have and had problems with and if you need more beta testers, I would be more than willing to help out.

May 13, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,447 of 6,795

I have some CS4398 stuff and never cared much for the sound, although it may be the implementation. 

It totally depends on your preferences.

If you are for a smoother, more organic and somewhat warmer sound together with 2 micro SD slots, a better battery life as well as the superior UI, the DX80 might well be worth to be considered.

May 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #4,448 of 6,795

yes ak and opus for example

May 13, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #4,452 of 6,795
  Thanks for the info, that was my guess about the exit on the top of the DAP. Thus, never done that before, just USB to the DAC. I was thinking of connecting to the Mojo in a possible future buy.

i dont think mojo pair well dx80 IMHO

May 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #4,455 of 6,795

It totally depends on your preferences.

If you are for a smoother, more organic and somewhat warmer sound together with 2 micro SD slots, a better battery life as well as the superior UI, the DX80 might well be worth to be considered.

I prefer a smoother type of sound and always considered the ES9018 devices a bit glary. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out the DX80 sometime before purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back