iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
May 13, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #4,459 of 6,795
  Ok, thanks. But they should sound almost identical. The ibasso and AK are both just acting as digital transports...

I have the Mojo and the DX80 as well has the Hugo. I like the Hugo better, for sound. The Mojo and DX80 work fine together as does the AK 100II that I have. You can use optical or coax with the DX80. I use the DX80 more often as it holds a lot more music and overall as a DAP, I prefer the DX80. 

May 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #4,460 of 6,795

It totally depends on your preferences.

If you are for a smoother, more organic and somewhat warmer sound together with 2 micro SD slots, a better battery life as well as the superior UI, the DX80 might well be worth to be considered.

I prefer a smoother type of sound and always considered the ES9018 devices a bit glary. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out the DX80 sometime before purchase. 

I concur, most SABRE implementations tend to sound crisp, clean, "glary". Imvho and from what I perceive, the DX80 is more "musical", warmer, smoother, more "organic", with a wide and deep soundstage. An anti-DX90 if you would want to say so, but no less detailed, just less "aggressive" and with more spatial depth (width is identical but I always found the DX90 to have some more soundstage width than depth).

May 13, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,461 of 6,795
I went back to 1.1.4 and it sounds notably better than any other update that was released after 1.1.4. Of course this is very subjective but it occurred to me to mention this after what @HiFiChris said about the DX80's sound signature in his post above.

"DX80 is more "musical", warmer, smoother, more "organic", with a wide and deep soundstage."

May 14, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4,463 of 6,795
so which FW is the most stable and how do they sound , musical-wise ?

May 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #4,466 of 6,795
Has anyone paired the DX80 with the Sennheiser IE80s?  Long story short, I got an early batch DX80 that has hiss issues that I am getting replaced, but I'm also in the market for some new IEMs.  I want to get a set that sounds good with no hiss on the DX80s.

May 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #4,467 of 6,795
so which FW is the most stable and how do they sound , musical-wise ?

Perhaps I have one of the unicorns.. Because I haven't had a problem with mine since 1.3.3... Well, okay, one problem.. The random cutting the song off early issue.. But seriously, other than that.. I have had no other issues that are really blaring.. Or that come to mind... As for sound, I seriously think it's a placebo effect to a certain degree.. If you want to hear a difference you will.. I adjust my EQ setting way to often depending on my mood, so perhaps that's the REAL reason I don't hear a true difference.. Either way, I'm happy just having the additional features and overall sound it makes/potential to make... Between this and the Shanling M2, and my smartphone. They are all I need in my audio profile..

May 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #4,469 of 6,795
16 Ohm, most probably you should forget IE80...

Hmm, dang.  They seem like great IEMs for the money too, since you can get a good deal on them.

I'm looking for something that has a neutral to warm sound profile that will match with the DX80, with great mids and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back