iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Mar 30, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,601 of 6,795
Can Paul actually throw some idea on stock availability for SE Asia market, Malaysia specifically? Is there any hiccups on departure from your factory? I bought my unit on 4th March and returned it on the next day due to a defect, and today i'm still waiting for updates from my reseller on its availability. The distributor keeps telling the stock will arrive "this week" since last week, and had left me quite furious with how things are going.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,602 of 6,795
I didn't quite see up to now a comparison of the SQ (that's all I am interested in) of the DX80 with the Plenue P1 and Questyle QP1R. Given the different price segments of these DAPs, with both the Cowon and the Questyle being much more expensive than the DX80, I am the first one to admit (on a theoretical level since I only own the DX80) that there must be some differences in terms of sound quality. I am not at all interested in comparisons of the type: the X DAP is twice the price of the Y DAP, but the sound quality is only a 20% increment. I just want to know how do they compare on an absolute basis, as if they would belong to the same class.

Additionally, I am interested to know if the amplification is or is not effective in the case of the DX80. More to the point, I was wondering if pairing the DX80 with a Vorzuge amp (e.g the Pure II) is of any help (in terms of, let's say, soundstage) or the amp section of the Ibasso is already very good and does not need any additional help.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,604 of 6,795
  I didn't quite see up to now a comparison of the SQ (that's all I am interested in) of the DX80 with the Plenue P1 and Questyle QP1R. Given the different price segments of these DAPs, with both the Cowon and the Questyle being much more expensive than the DX80, I am the first one to admit (on a theoretical level since I only own the DX80) that there must be some differences in terms of sound quality. I am not at all interested in comparisons of the type: the X DAP is twice the price of the Y DAP, but the sound quality is only a 20% increment. I just want to know how do they compare on an absolute basis, as if they would belong to the same class.

Additionally, I am interested to know if the amplification is or is not effective in the case of the DX80. More to the point, I was wondering if pairing the DX80 with a Vorzuge amp (e.g the Pure II) is of any help (in terms of, let's say, soundstage) or the amp section of the Ibasso is already very good and does not need any additional help.

Thanks in advance!

as compared to the p1 and qp1r, dx80 is less refined but it is fun to listen to.
amp is powerful enough

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,605 of 6,795
Personally I would never let the battery run down to 23% if I could possibly avoid it.  My understanding is that it's better to recharge more frequently and to avoid the battery going too low.  I aim to recharge around 50% or so and definitely by 40%.  My understanding is that a battery has a fixed number of charge cycles before it loses its performance.  2 recharges at 50% = 1 cycle.  Allowing the battery percent to drop too low probably has chemical implications on its lifespan.

Just my 2 cents - my interpretation of batteryuniversity info - see http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,606 of 6,795
  Personally I would never let the battery run down to 23% if I could possibly avoid it.  My understanding is that it's better to recharge more frequently and to avoid the battery going too low.  I aim to recharge around 50% or so and definitely by 40%.  My understanding is that a battery has a fixed number of charge cycles before it loses its performance.  2 recharges at 50% = 1 cycle.  Allowing the battery percent to drop too low probably has chemical implications on its lifespan.

Just my 2 cents - my interpretation of batteryuniversity info - see http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

if dx80 has cowon battery life, it will be perfect mid fi dap

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #3,607 of 6,795
  if dx80 has cowon battery life, it will be perfect mid fi dap

Depends on which Cowon dap you choose...

I like my P1 for many aspects, but I'm sure DX80 has as good (and probably even better) battery life
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,608 of 6,795
  Can Paul actually throw some idea on stock availability for SE Asia market, Malaysia specifically? Is there any hiccups on departure from your factory? I bought my unit on 4th March and returned it on the next day due to a defect, and today i'm still waiting for updates from my reseller on its availability. The distributor keeps telling the stock will arrive "this week" since last week, and had left me quite furious with how things are going.

I am looking into this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 30, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #3,609 of 6,795
Like tgrosu I  have also wondered about pairing the DX80 with an external amp.
I tend to listen at between 95 to 110 volume with high gain on, I try to keep EQ turned off if possible however sometimes I find I need more bass so EQ is turned on.
Are you guys saying that apart from the amplification and bass (bass boost) there is no real benefit pairing the dx80 with an amp, so the investement of an amp does not warrant the additional expense ?

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3,611 of 6,795
  Like tgrosu I  have also wondered about pairing the DX80 with an external amp.
I tend to listen at between 95 to 110 volume with high gain on, I try to keep EQ turned off if possible however sometimes I find I need more bass so EQ is turned on.
Are you guys saying that apart from the amplification and bass (bass boost) there is no real benefit pairing the dx80 with an amp, so the investement of an amp does not warrant the additional expense ?

It all depends on the headphones you're using. I'm using an Oppo PM-3 and I don't find that they need an amp, and those aren't the easiest cans to drive to their full potential. If you're at that volume level I don't think you'll benefit from an external amp that much either.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,613 of 6,795
I have a cowon P1 and an iBasso DX80 and I pick up the DX80 most times when going out. It has more music on it and as a dac it is superb. Considering the difference in price I say the DX80 wins hands down. I'm not knocking the P1 as it is a lovely dap but is much more expensive.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,615 of 6,795
Has anyone tried using their DX 80 with the new ALO Rx amp? I'm curious if there are any improvements on the overall SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back