iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,912 of 6,795
Would it not be nice to give that control to end user? If I hear clipping I will reduce the final volume..
On rear occasions, when I feel the need to use EQ on DX80,  I do not boost but reduce frequencies (at 250 and lower), so for me personally that feature is completely counterproductive. 
But the assumption seems to be  - user is dumb, he will now boost the freqs over the top and that will cause clipping, so we [iBasso] better reduce the volume ... Not sure if that is the right approach.

The Cowon Plenue D might be the player you're looking for in terms of giving you the option to boost the EQ sliders as high as you want and give you the distortion you are looking at.. However, there are some caveats as always..
1) Sound isn't anywhere near as layered as the DX80
2) Soundstage isn't as defined/imaged as the good as the DX80
3) EQ sliders are very cumbersome, and only lets you choose up to 4 frequencies to boost or lower at any given moment, which is the dumbest thing I've ever experienced.
4) Sound signature is to artificial.
5) No line out.

Other than that, it gives you (the user) to decide what is too much or too little.. And has a lot of cool different features that are not found on any other player. Plus the size of it is really handy.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,913 of 6,795
  Would it not be nice to give that control to end user? If I hear clipping I will reduce the final volume..
On rear occasions, when I feel the need to use EQ on DX80,  I do not boost but reduce frequencies (at 250 and lower), so for me personally that feature is completely counterproductive. 
But the assumption seems to be  - user is dumb, he will now boost the freqs over the top and that will cause clipping, so we [iBasso] better reduce the volume ... Not sure if that is the right approach.

Both the AK100 and AK120 players I had also attenuated the volume when the EQ was in line, so from my perspective the fact that the DX80 also did it wasn't unusual.

Does this bother you enough that it makes this device unacceptable?  

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,914 of 6,795

Both the AK100 and AK120 players I had also attenuated the volume when the EQ was in line, so from my perspective the fact that the DX80 also did it wasn't unusual.

Does this bother you enough that it makes this device unacceptable?  

Why such an extreme? No, it does not make it unacceptable, but it is a annoyance, and not a small one. Here how it goes:
1) as the track begins I spent some/few seconds to get that perfect volume level that I enjoy. Most of the time I listen to ALL tracks in random order, so I must adjust volume almost for each track as all albums recorded at different levels. Having ReplayGain would solve that issue as all my tracks are analyzed and have that info in the tags, but that's a separate discussion ...
2) Just as I'm done with finding that "perfect volume" I realize that this specific track is a bit too "boomy" for my taste, so I decide to engage EQ and reduce some low frequencies.
3) Now I cannot hear anything because iBasso decided to reduce the volume so I need to spend another some/few seconds to get back to that "perfect volume".
4) for an average track of lets say 3.5 minutes I just spent about 15%-20% (30-40 seconds) getting to the volume level I prefer.

Unacceptable - perhaps not, annoying - yes, big time. Waste of time - yes, big time.
I can distinguish between "clipping" and not "clipping" - let me do it iBasso, please.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,915 of 6,795
Fiio does the same thing with the EQ, it's pretty standard. When I bought my dirst DAP I thought it was broke or not functioing properly but I learned from a similiar conversation that it was  neccessary to prevent the clipping. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,916 of 6,795
Why such an extreme? No, it does not make it unacceptable, but it is a annoyance, and not a small one. Here how it goes:
1) as the track begins I spent some/few seconds to get that perfect volume level that I enjoy. Most of the time I listen to ALL tracks in random order, so I must adjust volume almost for each track as all albums recorded at different levels. Having ReplayGain would solve that issue as all my tracks are analyzed and have that info in the tags, but that's a separate discussion ...
2) Just as I'm done with finding that "perfect volume" I realize that this specific track is a bit too "boomy" for my taste, so I decide to engage EQ and reduce some low frequencies.
3) Now I cannot hear anything because iBasso decided to reduce the volume so I need to spend another some/few seconds to get back to that "perfect volume".
4) for an average track of lets say 3.5 minutes I just spent about 15%-20% (30-40 seconds) getting to the volume level I prefer.

Unacceptable - perhaps not, annoying - yes, big time. Waste of time - yes, big time.
I can distinguish between "clipping" and not "clipping" - let me do it iBasso, please.

I agree, it's simple logic, *don't do anything unless asked*

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,917 of 6,795

I will put it out there but people also don't like clipping. This is why most all companies reduce the volume some so that on the higher EQ setting there normally won't be clipping.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #2,918 of 6,795
I honestly don't see why people are bit*hing about the reduced volume when using the EQ. Just increase the volume or gain.
The DX50 and 90 also had a volume reduction when the EQ was turned on and nobody was complaining about it.
Just as it has been said several times, it is being made to prevent clipping when people raise one EQ band by too much.

deadhorse.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #2,921 of 6,795
  I honestly don't see why people are bit*hing about the reduced volume when using the EQ. Just increase the volume or gain.
The DX50 and 90 also had a volume reduction when the EQ was turned on and nobody was complaining about it.
Just as it has been said several times, it is being made to prevent clipping when people raise one EQ band by too much.

deadhorse.gif

And this is NOT the only issue with the EQ... Ok,ok... I won't bother you folks with this anymore...

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #2,922 of 6,795
  paging for paul. Is there any lock feature?? I always press my volume button by accident.. Nearly went deaf..

Quick snapshot - brilliant!

Suggestion for the future: give us the ability to enable the volume buttons right on the lock screen, so that only the playback control buttons are locked.

Long press on the (mechanical) "Play" button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back