iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,926 of 6,795
  I honestly don't see why people are bit*hing about the reduced volume when using the EQ. Just increase the volume or gain.
The DX50 and 90 also had a volume reduction when the EQ was turned on and nobody was complaining about it.
Just as it has been said several times, it is being made to prevent clipping when people raise one EQ band by too much.

deadhorse.gif

Because that would make me enjoy the device much more, is there anything wrong with that to make you wonder?
And it was also said many times that we are capable of detecting clipping or lowering volume on our own.
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,927 of 6,795

I honestly don't see why people are bit*hing about the reduced volume when using the EQ. Just increase the volume or gain.
The DX50 and 90 also had a volume reduction when the EQ was turned on and nobody was complaining about it.
Just as it has been said several times, it is being made to prevent clipping when people raise one EQ band by too much.

deadhorse.gif

Because that would make me enjoy the device much more, is there anything wrong with that to make you wonder?
And it was also said many times that we are capable of detecting clipping or lowering volume on our own.
beerchug.gif

No, nothing wrong with that for sure. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just keep in mind that without a reduction of the "pre-amp" volume (actually the loudness of the recording), clipping will start much earlier.

And btw, many devices that retain the same volume after the EQ is enabled just automatically raise the volume, so they are basically doing the same (reducing the volume to gain more head-room) but have an automatic compensation that increases the overall volume again to match it with the un-EQ'ed.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,928 of 6,795
Any recommendations of IEM's under $150 that pair nicely with the DX80? If this is the wrong section I'll edit my post, just figured the users of DX80 would have the best input.

Current IEMS: Monster Turbine Pro Gold's & Shure SE215

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,929 of 6,795
Any recommendations of IEM's under $150 that pair nicely with the DX80? If this is the wrong section I'll edit my post, just figured the users of DX80 would have the best input.

I'll recommend Fidue A73 for you to research. HiFiChris may also help, he's up to date with many IEM around that price range.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,930 of 6,795
@Ahdiofyle

Are you looking for a more or less similar sound as the Turbine and SE215 or do you want to try something more natural? As both in-ears are quite on the bass-heavy side.

As much as I love the A73, I fear it might be somewhat light on the bass for you. Maybe something from RHA, the Alpha & Delta AD01, DUNU Titan 5 (with either a really good fit or a closed vent mod), Klipsch R6 (haven't heard it personally but it is said to be not too far off the S4), Sennheiser Momentum in-ears (haven't heard that one myself either) are worth to be looked at.

The Sennheiser IE 80, LEAR LHF-AE1d (<- highly recommended and super versatile), Echobox Finder X1 (which has however quite bright highs) might fit in as well, but they are somewhat over your budget.

No other models that come into my mind at the moment. A good thread to ask would be this one if you are indeed looking for a quite bassy signature: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,931 of 6,795

I'm enjoying my Audiofly AF140 with DX80, big time.
AF140 has Dynamic driver and two balanced armature drivers. That dynamic driver really gives depth to lows.
I also have Westone W40 and they do not pair well with DX80 for me, thin ...

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,932 of 6,795
  @Ahdiofyle

Are you looking for a more or less similar sound as the Turbine and SE215 or do you want to try something more natural? As both in-ears are quite on the bass-heavy side.

As much as I love the A73, I fear it might be somewhat light on the bass for you. Maybe something from RHA, the Alpha & Delta AD01, DUNU Titan 5 (with either a really good fit or a closed vent mod), Klipsch R6 (haven't heard it personally but it is said to be not too far off the S4), Sennheiser Momentum in-ears (haven't heard that one myself either) are worth to be looked at.

The Sennheiser IE 80, LEAR LHF-AE1d (<- highly recommended and super versatile), Echobox Finder X1 (which has however quite bright highs) might fit in as well, but they are somewhat over your budget.

No other models that come into my mind at the moment. A good thread to ask would be this one if you are indeed looking for a quite bassy signature: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club

Yeah I'm actually going to try and get a away from the bassy types of IEM. I'll definitely check our your recommendations though, thank you for the help!

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #2,934 of 6,795
@Ahdiofyle 

Then there are many other interesting IEMs below $150 - Brainwavz M3 (quite balanced but without neglecting the "fun" part), Fidue A73 (dark-ish v-shape, I love it personally as a "fun" IEM that is not too exaggerated) and A65 (smooth and dark-ish, somewhat warm signature), Pai Audio MR3 (relatively neutral, really good soundstage & imaging) and MR2 (bassy with a peak in the upper treble, good soundstage & imaging), DUNU's Titan series (all somewhat v-shaped, but the amount of bass you get highly depends on your ear anatomy and by the amount of by how much the inner facing vents are blocked) (whose treble is on the undeniably brighter side though), the Apple IEMs (not too far away from AKG K701's signature with regular insertion depth, becomes more full-bodied and darker with deep insertion), Phonak Audéo (fairly balanced with the grey filters) and UE600 (fairly balanced) (if you can somehow get one of those two somewhere), Fostex TE-02 (balanced IEM and one of the very few models where I would say sound quality is clearly above the price - even beats some of the single-BA IEMs below $150 I love on the technical side), Havi B3 Pro I (warm-ish balanced sound, large soundstage, excellent for its price, but there is something that I don't 100% like about it - doesn't sound 100% coherent to me although it is technically a top IEM for its price), MEE audio A151 2nd generation (dark-ish and warm, quite good soundstage).
Just to name the models that I like and would recommend.

I think the model with the least risk would be the Fidue A73.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #2,935 of 6,795
  @Ahdiofyle 

Then there are many other interesting IEMs below $150 - Brainwavz M3 (quite balanced but without neglecting the "fun" part), Fidue A73 (dark-ish v-shape, I love it personally as a "fun" IEM that is not too exaggerated) and A65 (smooth and dark-ish, somewhat warm signature), Pai Audio MR3 (relatively neutral, really good soundstage & imaging) and MR2 (bassy with a peak in the upper treble, good soundstage & imaging), DUNU's Titan series (all somewhat v-shaped, but the amount of bass you get highly depends on your ear anatomy and by the amount of by how much the inner facing vents are blocked) (whose treble is on the undeniably brighter side though), the Apple IEMs (not too far away from AKG K701's signature with regular insertion depth, becomes more full-bodied and darker with deep insertion), Phonak Audéo (fairly balanced with the grey filters) and UE600 (fairly balanced) (if you can somehow get one of those two somewhere), Fostex TE-02 (balanced IEM and one of the very few models where I would say sound quality is clearly above the price - even beats some of the single-BA IEMs below $150 I love on the technical side), Havi B3 Pro I (warm-ish balanced sound, large soundstage, excellent for its price, but there is something that I don't 100% like about it - doesn't sound 100% coherent to me although it is technically a top IEM for its price), MEE audio A151 2nd generation (dark-ish and warm, quite good soundstage).

MAN! I wish I could star/sticky this post, what a great write-up for those of us using the DX80. Thank you I am definitely going to do some research before pulling the trigger on these.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,936 of 6,795
  @Ahdiofyle 

I miss the RHA MA750. When i switch between the open headphone Fidelio X2 and the MA750, im everytime surprised at how good these IEM's are. Fun sound signature, some bass emphasis, clear treble, great soundstage.(Is this a' dark-ish v-shap-ish' sound? Dunno.)  And of course the solid build quality. I absolutly love them. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,938 of 6,795
  MAN! I wish I could star/sticky this post, what a great write-up for those of us using the DX80. Thank you I am definitely going to do some research before pulling the trigger on these.

I put it on the 1st page. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,939 of 6,795
  Oh, these were just recommendations based on the IEMs that I have on hand. Haven't heard the RHA MA750, so didn't comment on it. 
beerchug.gif

I know, else you would have named them  
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,940 of 6,795
@jamato8 

It was just a general recommendation to Ahdiofyle for not too basy IEMs below and around $150, nothing 100% DX80-related (other than based on the fact that the DX80 has got a really low output impedance and therefore doesn't show any FR deviation with multi-driver in-ears). Nothing based on "synergy", as that is really just a matter of preference and the IEM's sound signature has the much much much higher influence on the sound than the DAP (as long as there is no bass roll-off, a low output impedance and flat FR).

Honestly nothing that should be on the first page of this thread (I'd appreciate if you could remove it), as it was a summary of some recommendations to Ahdiofyle in this specific case for IEMs below $150 that are not too bassy and harmonise well with the DX80. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back