iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,902 of 6,795
With the application usb audio player pro the EQ don't change the volume however.

Yes this is because this application is not preventing clipping.
If you want to have an EQ that does not distort when you boost frequencies you have to give some extra headroom approx. the same amount of the maximum selectable dB boost amplitude.
Its not a bug, its a feature.
There is no other way to keep the volume at the same level and keeping enough headroom to prevent distortion when boosting frequencies.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2,906 of 6,795
We do have a new FW coming out very soon.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,907 of 6,795
what good things is that ? I already use device at same pricing line as this never got thump when song's change or pressing button, except for cheap 2.1 speaker systems

I was referring to the initial sound when the player is turned on referring back to the original comment. Amps often have that and this device has two. As for the other sounds... I don't have them with my player so can't comment on those. Keep updating the firmware, iBasso are great in updating it orogressively.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,909 of 6,795
I may sound quite bias as I am a fan of Ibasso DAPs here (owned a DX50), so please take my honest opinions with a pinch of salt. Having demoed the DX80 for a short while with my ATH-IM02 (stock cable), I think that the sound is really dynamic yet engaging. The treble can be quite on the bright side, but it was acceptable for me. Most importanly, based on my short impression, despite the obvious flaws, the UI and the output were much better that the DX50 (DX50 UI was okay for me though), so those are the two big thumbs up from me. Overall, for me, this is a mid-end priced DAP with a high-end performance. Just need some tweaking on the UI, this may the DAP for me (if I could ever have the money lol). Keep it up Ibasso!

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,910 of 6,795
  Yes this is because this application is not preventing clipping.
If you want to have an EQ that does not distort when you boost frequencies you have to give some extra headroom approx. the same amount of the maximum selectable dB boost amplitude.
Its not a bug, its a feature.
There is no other way to keep the volume at the same level and keeping enough headroom to prevent distortion when boosting frequencies.

Would it not be nice to give that control to end user? If I hear clipping I will reduce the final volume..
On rear occasions, when I feel the need to use EQ on DX80,  I do not boost but reduce frequencies (at 250 and lower), so for me personally that feature is completely counterproductive. 
But the assumption seems to be  - user is dumb, he will now boost the freqs over the top and that will cause clipping, so we [iBasso] better reduce the volume ... Not sure if that is the right approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back