iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,791 of 6,795
  Heads up, PNY 128GB High Speed MicroSDXC Memory Card, 29.99 Amazon. 

That is a very good price. Better than in China.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,793 of 6,795
and soon the DX200!!

Soon? I surely hope so 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #2,794 of 6,795
Blargh, more new firmware to possibly invalidate my comments!  I'm just kidding, though, I am psyched to try it!

I upgraded to 1.3.0 before taking my DX80 on a trip where I used it to listen to music on the plane, as well as via AUX to play music in the car.

I am getting an issue where the Artist ID3 tags on a certain set of albums get corrupted and I get (null) artists at the top of the listing.  It seems to happen to the same albums, but I know for a fact I corrected the copy on the device, successfully scanned the files and had no (null) listings, and then the (null) listings showed up again.  I probably need to make sure the files are good on my server then overwrite the copies on the device, factory reset, and rescan, but it sure does *seem* like the player is doing it.

Another issue I run in to is with Genres not fully populating.  We put all of my reggae (a lot of reggae) on shuffle and realized an hour or two later that it was repeating the same songs again.  The entire reggae genre wasn't included when I told it to shuffle.  I went back to the genre, long pressed play again and everything seemed fine, but I do get this issue once in a while even just browsing albums by genre.  I'm running two almost completely full 200gb cards, so I don't really hold it against the player especially because it does correct itself, but it is something I notice.

The increased size of the slider on the right side of the music listings in 1.3.0 is huge, it made such a difference.

For sound, I have exclusively listened using my Beyer Custom One Pros and via car input.  The Beyers have been said to have a V shaped sound, which I didn't necessarily agree with when using my phone to power them, but I think the DX80 shows this a lot more.  Rock tunes sometimes lack midrange punch and the higher notes of the bassline don't come through as well.  On a 24bit copy of CHVRCHES newest album...holy crap!  The detail in the highs is ludicrous.  You can turn it up as loud as you can stand and it just absolutely rips: total clarity.  I could see people saying it can be fatiguing, but I am pretty sure that is a function of the headphones and not the player.  The reproduction on the player is just so good.  It brings out a lot of details without making them overly prominent in the mix.

One thing that would be nice would be if the player could detect when the source it is playing to via line out is turned off and stop playing, then start again when it is turned on.  This works with a lot of phones' headphone outs, not sure if its possible with the line out.  I'd love a 1hr and 2hr option for auto power off as well.

I really really like this thing, and I'm glad I went with it over the alternatives.  It has that sort of high end audio device quirkiness to it, but it's very straightforward to use and is reliable.  I haven't had any showstopper issues with it at all.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,796 of 6,795
  Blargh, more new firmware to possibly invalidate my comments!  I'm just kidding, though, I am psyched to try it!

I upgraded to 1.3.0 before taking my DX80 on a trip where I used it to listen to music on the plane, as well as via AUX to play music in the car.

I am getting an issue where the Artist ID3 tags on a certain set of albums get corrupted and I get (null) artists at the top of the listing.  It seems to happen to the same albums, but I know for a fact I corrected the copy on the device, successfully scanned the files and had no (null) listings, and then the (null) listings showed up again.  I probably need to make sure the files are good on my server then overwrite the copies on the device, factory reset, and rescan, but it sure does *seem* like the player is doing it.

Another issue I run in to is with Genres not fully populating.  We put all of my reggae (a lot of reggae) on shuffle and realized an hour or two later that it was repeating the same songs again.  The entire reggae genre wasn't included when I told it to shuffle.  I went back to the genre, long pressed play again and everything seemed fine, but I do get this issue once in a while even just browsing albums by genre.  I'm running two almost completely full 200gb cards, so I don't really hold it against the player especially because it does correct itself, but it is something I notice.

The increased size of the slider on the right side of the music listings in 1.3.0 is huge, it made such a difference.

For sound, I have exclusively listened using my Beyer Custom One Pros and via car input.  The Beyers have been said to have a V shaped sound, which I didn't necessarily agree with when using my phone to power them, but I think the DX80 shows this a lot more.  Rock tunes sometimes lack midrange punch and the higher notes of the bassline don't come through as well.  On a 24bit copy of CHVRCHES newest album...holy crap!  The detail in the highs is ludicrous.  You can turn it up as loud as you can stand and it just absolutely rips: total clarity.  I could see people saying it can be fatiguing, but I am pretty sure that is a function of the headphones and not the player.  The reproduction on the player is just so good.  It brings out a lot of details without making them overly prominent in the mix.

One thing that would be nice would be if the player could detect when the source it is playing to via line out is turned off and stop playing, then start again when it is turned on.  This works with a lot of phones' headphone outs, not sure if its possible with the line out.  I'd love a 1hr and 2hr option for auto power off as well.

I really really like this thing, and I'm glad I went with it over the alternatives.  It has that sort of high end audio device quirkiness to it, but it's very straightforward to use and is reliable.  I haven't had any showstopper issues with it at all.

I agree that with 1.3.0 dx80 doing something with track list, from 1.1.0 to 1.2.1 it never happen, my dx80 make info like this
[title artist]
[null]
with corrupted file

while normal file like this :
[track]
[artist]

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,797 of 6,795
any problems with displaying album art over 500x500?

i know some players refuse to show it if its higher resolution. my current art is around 1400x1400 so it would be a pain to resize them.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,800 of 6,795
Anyone else having an issue that the DX80 will not automatically power off ? I set power off to 30 minutes just to see my full charged DX80 completely empty the next day. There was no music playing.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,801 of 6,795
  Anyone else having an issue that the DX80 will not automatically power off ? I set power off to 30 minutes just to see my full charged DX80 completely empty the next day. There was no music playing.

Please let me know if this happens again and I will report the problem to our software team. Also try a factory reset.

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,802 of 6,795
Since updating to the latest firmware I shut down my DX80 but after not using it for 2 days I turned it on and it was at 8% although I had charged it fully

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,804 of 6,795

I have firmware 1.3.3 installed and I just tested the 30 minute auto power off. It worked fine for me.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #2,805 of 6,795
  Since updating to the latest firmware I shut down my DX80 but after not using it for 2 days I turned it on and it was at 8% although I had charged it fully

When the player is off there should be no drain. Please do a factory reset and a full charge. If there is still an issue please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back