iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 21, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,176 of 6,795
Why not give foobar a trial? It could be software related.

Thanks for the hint, i already have the ASIO buffer at 2048 and the streaming mode to minimal. I don't use foobar, and the sound is also there when i don't have a player or anything else open. It is like i can hear one of the IC's working it is always the same "pattern" of pops - repeating after the same amount of time. When playback starts - it is still there but less audible because other frequencies are driving over it.
But if it is only a software issue i am more to happy to wait for the new firmware. I get most of the points "i never want my DAP to be a DAC".. But i like the sound of the DX80, why shouldn't i also enjoy it on my computer :) ?

So looking forward on some news regarding this

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,177 of 6,795

Just to get some positivity over here:
I love my DX80. 
A lot.
great sound, great UI, good battery life , great price, fantastic lows, lush mids, a very nice treble sparkle , wide soundstage, good separation. premium look&feel. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,180 of 6,795
Why not give foobar a trial? It could be software related.

Thanks for your answer, but since the poping, clicking noise is also there without any software opened i dont think that foobar will make it go away. But of course i will give it a try, just does not seem to be a logical possibility.

It is clearly from the player itself, like when the DAC Circuit is activated some IC or something will produce this noise (since it is repeating in patterns it might be a electronic part causing this in my opinion).

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,182 of 6,795
I was comparing the DX80 to the AK100II today, which I haven't done for some time. I can't believe how much I paid for the 100II and the DX80 has a more open and natural soundscape. Also nice that I can use 2X200gb of cards and if I want something even more different, I can pop a card in a small reader and use the OTG via folders. Everything is working as it should and I have to admit, I enjoy the 12 hours of battery life. On other thing of note, is that I find the DX80 to have more power. An area that disappointed me with the Ak100II is the fact that in balanced, it has less power than in single ended. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #2,183 of 6,795
It is like i can hear one of the IC's working it is always the same "pattern" of pops - repeating after the same amount of time.
Sounds like interference from computer's power supply, video adapter etc.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,184 of 6,795
Do all DAPs play 320 Kbps mp3's better than Flacs? Or is it just this player? I have the same song on my card as 320kbps and also in Flac format.. I hear better instrument separation and details on the 320 version.. However, I have better headroom with the Flac version.. (Headroom= It can get louder with less congestion and distortion)

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,185 of 6,795
Do all DAPs play 320 Kbps mp3's better than Flacs? Or is it just this player? I have the same song on my card as 320kbps and also in Flac format.. I hear better instrument separation and details on the 320 version.. However, I have better headroom with the Flac version.. (Headroom= It can get louder with less congestion and distortion)

I believe it comes to mastering, I have the same situation and not just with DAPs. Some 320 do sound better than certain Flats, I guess it matters the way a flac is ripped too

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,186 of 6,795
  I was comparing the DX80 to the AK100II today, which I haven't done for some time. I can't believe how much I paid for the 100II and the DX80 has a more open and natural soundscape. Also nice that I can use 2X200gb of cards and if I want something even more different, I can pop a card in a small reader and use the OTG via folders. Everything is working as it should and I have to admit, I enjoy the 12 hours of battery life. On other thing of note, is that I find the DX80 to have more power. An area that disappointed me with the Ak100II is the fact that in balanced, it has less power than in single ended. 

Definitely agree.  DX80 is a steal for the price compared to the AK100II (though <$500 AK100II is definitely very tempting).  So many great features and sounds wonderful to boot.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,187 of 6,795
I got my dx80 a few days ago and quite like it so far. I have nothing to complain about in terms of sound with my Etymotic er-4s. The USB DAC feature works well with my macbook and my iPhone/iPad (with CCK).

However, the library management needs improvement, in particular since the dx80 claims to be able to "handle" 400GB+ of music. For libraries this large, a search function is indispensable. Also, I would like to have more browsing modes (perhaps even the ability to create custom ones); for example I would like to be able to browse a list of all albums of a specific genre.

I hope future firmware upgrades improve the library management. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,188 of 6,795
  I got my dx80 a few days ago and quite like it so far. I have nothing to complain about in terms of sound with my Etymotic er-4s. The USB DAC feature works well with my macbook and my iPhone/iPad (with CCK).

However, the library management needs improvement, in particular since the dx80 claims to be able to "handle" 400GB+ of music. For libraries this large, a search function is indispensable. Also, I would like to have more browsing modes (perhaps even the ability to create custom ones); for example I would like to be able to browse a list of all albums of a specific genre.

I hope future firmware upgrades improve the library management. 

I will pass your request to the software team.

For those who have an issue with that does not seem to go away with a FW update please try the Batch Tool. It does a clean load of the FW by wiping the internal memory.

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20151210/201512100333294318.rar   There are instructions for its use in the download and it can be used with the DX50 and DX90.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 22, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,189 of 6,795
  Thanks for your answer, but since the poping, clicking noise is also there without any software opened i dont think that foobar will make it go away. But of course i will give it a try, just does not seem to be a logical possibility.

It is clearly from the player itself, like when the DAC Circuit is activated some IC or something will produce this noise (since it is repeating in patterns it might be a electronic part causing this in my opinion).

I have asked the software team to look into this. This is a past request but I continue to update them.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back