iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,192 of 6,795
  The low level thump that some get when changing songs or using pause or play is from the dac chip and the larger capacitors that we use in conjunction with the chip.  The Cirrus chip has a poorly implemented mute function that does not work effectively as it should.

Hmm then I think makers like AK, Questyle and even Fiio must have done quite a bit of work on it cos there are no such issues with their players that are using CS4398.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,193 of 6,795
  Doing some tests i discovered that the clicking and the popping lower in density by lowering the output in the Windows drivers from 2 channels 24 bits, to 2 channels 16 bits do not know if it can help

Thank you. I have let them know this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,194 of 6,795

Hmm then I think makers like AK, Questyle and even Fiio must have done quite a bit of work on it cos there are no such issues with their players that are using CS4398.

They do not use the large capacity capacitors we use on the DX80.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,195 of 6,795
  Doing some tests i discovered that the clicking and the popping lower in density by lowering the output in the Windows drivers from 2 channels 24 bits, to 2 channels 16 bits do not know if it can help

Can you set the buffer to a higher number?

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,200 of 6,795
Hi, I received my DX80 on Thursday after pre-order from Advanced MP3 Players in UK. It was loaded with the new firmware.

To ensure a clean start I formatted both my 128gb cards as exFAT and copied over music freshly onto them again. All is perfect so far and the device is burning in. The music was found perfectly during the scan. I don't get any sound issues and I am delighted. I'll report back with more experience but so far nothing averse at all to report.

My existing DX50 will be used for dog walking and the DX80 for longer business travel each week.

I like the new UI and all artwork is loading well. No artwork has failed ormselayed in loading. I use 500x500 images at 300DPI embedded into the file (anything bigger is generally not recommended whether on a DAP or not). I'm playing 320kbs constant rate MP3s which sound great. I play via new AKG N60NC headphones for travel, Hifiman RE-400 in ears for dog walking and Sennheiser PX250 for late night listening. I'll give the DAP part of the unit a go in due course

I am not noticing any significant lag in using the player with swiping working well and intuitively.

Only observations so far, some text can be a little small such as on track info screen and a lock function will be helpful. These have been mentioned by othera. The navigation all seems to work very well.

So a big thanks to ibasso. I look forward to really getting into listening more soon.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,202 of 6,795
Question 8 of the FAQ in the user manual on the ibasso product page (at the page bottom) says exFAT and FAT32 are supported.

Upon checking I read that FAT32 can become unstable after 32GB and has a file size limit that a large DSD file could hit (in theory). I formatted in Windows10 using exFAT and the settings presented. I do not have a single issue or glitch so far in well over 24 hours constamt running to burn in the DAP via random play.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,204 of 6,795
I formatted my 200gb cards with fat32 and no problems at all. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #2,205 of 6,795
Thanks everyone. I haven't had any issues with my sdcard.. Just curious as to what the official word was, or if it mattered. My sdcard is still converted from the Fiio X3ii.
Speaking of Fiio, I hate the fact that I'm still questioning if I like this more or less than the Fiio X5ii. They are so similar yet so different. I love the looks of each of them for completely different reasons. The Fiio is simple and timeless; whereas, the iBasso is stealthy and futuristic. The same can go for their sound. The X5ii just sounds good regardless of the sound file. The DX80 can be pretty unforgiving when using lower bit rate files and poorly recorded/engineered tracks. However, on those tracks done right, the DX80's analytical nature really sets it apart from the X5ii. Then there are the glitches in firmware on the DX80 that are and will be worked out, such as the songs being cut off early regardless of "Gapless playback" on or not. Some songs get cut off so bad I miss the ending of songs, never had that issue on the X5ii or X3ii. Just a couple of issues I have with both players and the reasons why I can't make up my mind which I prefer and want to keep for the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back