iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,131 of 6,795
Impedance only matters for waveguides, i.e. conductors with a length comparable with the signal wave length. S/PDIF transmits signals with maximum frequency of 12MHz (for 192kHz sample rate, 32 bits, stereo), meaning, with wave length more than 15 meters. So, for a cable less than 1 meter, the impedance does not matter at all.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,132 of 6,795
So, for a [coaxial] cable less than 1 meter, the impedance does not matter at all.

+1, that's also my experience, having soldered quite a few coaxial IC cables (3.5 mm to 3.5 mm, 3.5 mm to RCA) without 75 Ohm resistance but just the plugs and cable.

@NaiveSound

Don't worry, the FiiO cable you bought is more than sufficient and a "real" short coax cable won't have any additional benefit.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,133 of 6,795
Still enjoying my DX80 but looking for a new IEM to pair it with.  I was looking into the SE846 but a bit worried about the hissing.

I can hear it when the track starts but its not noticeable when the music starts playing so I don't think it would bother me too much.  Besides the hiss do people think this is a good pairing with each other?  I also have a DX90 which seems to be hiss-free as well but I much prefer the UI/screen/battery life of the DX80.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,134 of 6,795
Personally I've been enjoying Tralucent Ref.1 these last few days. DX80 offers great level of detail and I much prefer to use DX80 UI and screen, you know... the newer toy, but for some reason the Ref.1 simply sit better with my old DX50, wider stage, greater presence of air in the presentation, little less detail overall. It's purely a synergy thing though, I prefer Ref.1 with DX50 over Cayin N6 and Pono player.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,136 of 6,795
Has anyone tested the function USB DAC with Foobar2000 with dsd image music? I have TEAC DSD DAC and know how set up it but DX80 (last fw) cant play in native dsd or dop. diff/dsf played without problem.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,137 of 6,795
Hi, I just got my dx80 and I can't figure out how it handles long track names. Is there an option to have the names scroll? Essentially all my track names of classical music are cut off. If there is no such option, I hope a future firmware upgrade will add it!

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,138 of 6,795
Hi, I just got my dx80 and I can't figure out how it handles long track names. Is there an option to have the names scroll? Essentially all my track names of classical music are cut off. If there is no such option, I hope a future firmware upgrade will add it!

You can drag the title with your finger.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,139 of 6,795
You can drag the title with your finger.

This only works for the track which is currently playing, not in the menus where you choose a track/an album.

Also, when I go to "Music Info", either from the track list, or from the currently playing display, the tags are cut off, even though half the screen is empty.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #2,143 of 6,795
  Still enjoying my DX80 but looking for a new IEM to pair it with.  I was looking into the SE846 but a bit worried about the hissing.

I can hear it when the track starts but its not noticeable when the music starts playing so I don't think it would bother me too much.  Besides the hiss do people think this is a good pairing with each other?  I also have a DX90 which seems to be hiss-free as well but I much prefer the UI/screen/battery life of the DX80.

I'm using DX80 with SE846, & the pairing is good enough for me.  With the 3 filter choices of SE846, you have a bit more room to tune it to your liking.

About the hiss, I didn't notice it during demo probably because the environment wasn't quiet enough.  Once I noticed it, feels like the hiss is always there.  Still trying to get over it.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,145 of 6,795

That issue has had a lot of attention here in this thread and the 2 other major DX80 threads. 
Ibasso DX80
iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
The short version: Ibasso has stated that its a hardware issue, inherent to the use of Cirrus Logic chips(?) , wont be solved by FW. Some experience the thuds/plops, some don't. some hear it louder, some hear it softer; might have to do with sensitive iem, or not. The quality of the SD-card might also be involved. Some differences in thud/plop between FW's have been reported though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back