iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,456 of 6,795
but this was a big delay. 3 secs maybe. Never had that trouble in 1.4

Does it do this will all the artwork? I was just going from album to album and to a song in the album and it was very fast. Maybe download the FW again? 

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,457 of 6,795
Updated mine to 1.2.0 fine. Only minor issue was .img file couldn't be found in Slot 2 and had to move it to my 128GB card in slot 1.
All seems to be working fine. Album art is fine and swapping between albums refreshes art quickly.

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,458 of 6,795
To me Software was OK before this update, however I feel the warm signature takes away from clarity (or *punch) and hiss us just too prevelant.

I'm heavily thinking about returning and keeping my dx90 which sounds just about the same.

Maybe the dx200..... Loosing hope in ibasso, maybe I need to just get mojo and be done with it

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,461 of 6,795
Is the AK better than N dx80 in terms of sound quality as far as it being engaging and musical? Is the *fidelity* factor higher in the AK Jr?

Hang in there.
The last update sounds very flat, dull and lifeless to me (similar to $99 FiiO X1) - re-instaling 1.14 and the sound is much better - dynamic, punchy, energetic
Just to my ears... can't speak for anyone elses ears :)

My point is that with the dx90 some of us found the FW updates often gave difference sonic characteristics. Eventually I found one that suited my personal taste / headphone model.
Apparently, {if memory serves} whenever the software team created a new FW update some of sound characteristics of the player changed to a lesser or greater degree

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,462 of 6,795
   Hang in there.
The last update sounds very flat, dull and lifeless to me (similar to $99 FiiO X1) - re-instaling 1.14 and the sound is much better - dynamic, punchy, energetic

My point is that with the dx90 some of us found the FW updates often gave difference sonic characteristics. Eventually I found one that suited my personal taste / headphone model.

Nope, cant hear any differences

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,463 of 6,795

Hang in there.

Nope, cant hear any differences

o_0 - might be my player then or something?? because its a night and day difference for me - If anything they are both extremes of the spectrum - re-listening to same tracks from FW1.2.0 and now on FW 1.1.4 - the detail retrevial is almost too good - talk about deep punchy bass & sparkling highs.
Oh well. Different experiences...that's ok :)

What headphones/IEM's are you listening with Kryten? - Im using A83 which are bright & detailed - is what kinda freaked me out a bit with the sound quality characteristic of the 1.2.0 - It was like my ears where suddenly full of wax!!
Maybe there was a fault in the update or something else? - If you go the bug thread for the dx80 you'll see I had quite a few weird audio related issues !!
I might re-download & try again to be triply sure :D

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,465 of 6,795
Well, I went back to 1.2.0 and it seemed a 'bit' clearer but now parts of songs are distorting badly and the clicking issues with vinyl rips is still there so basically I can't use it - its weird but for me anyway the 1.2.0 is a really weirdly messed up bit of software. I'll stick with the 1.1.4 and wait for the next FW   :frowning2: 

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,466 of 6,795

o_0 - might be my player then or something?? because its a night and day difference for me - If anything they are both extremes of the spectrum - re-listening to same tracks from FW1.2.0 and now on FW 1.1.4 - the detail retrevial is almost too good - talk about deep punchy bass & sparkling highs.
Oh well. Different experiences...that's ok :)

What headphones/IEM's are you listening with Kryten? - Im using A83 which are bright & detailed - is what kinda freaked me out a bit with the sound quality characteristic of the 1.2.0 - It was like my ears where suddenly full of wax!!
Maybe there was a fault in the update or something else? - If you go the bug thread for the dx80 you'll see I had quite a few weird audio related issues !!
I might re-download & try again to be triply sure :D

I'm using JH13 Freq Phase and have run through my "reference" tracks I use for comparisons and can't hear a difference in the firmwares. However I have not swapped back and forth between the firmwares, but I do know the tracks I am using.
I know them quite well because I am in the middle of comparing the DX80,90,100 and can hear some minor differences between them.

It will be interesting to hear whether anyone else can hear differences after the upgrade.
:)

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,467 of 6,795
I'm using JH13 Freq Phase and have run through my "reference" tracks I use for comparisons and can't hear a difference in the firmwares. However I have not swapped back and forth between the firmwares, but I do know the tracks I am using.
I know them quite well because I am in the middle of comparing the DX80,90,100 and can hear some minor differences between them.

It will be interesting to hear whether anyone else can hear differences after the upgrade.
:)

I feel dx90 2.3.0. 0 lurker software is almost the same (slightly clearer) then a *not burned I'm dx80)

I think. Dx80 lacks a *wow* factor, and just near 0 *fidelity*

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,468 of 6,795
I'm just not impressed by the dx80 will return, looking to see if AK Jr is better or fiio x7 or just get a mojo

if you don't mind stacking go Mojo, ir you just play files from an SD card and want a stand alone player you have plenty of options on top of what you stated.

Get the X7 if you absolutely need streaming and hate stacking. Keep in mind that even at FW 1.5 the X7's Android side is unfinished, buggy and the hardware not well enough implemented to be the main way to enjoy music, really a bit of a squandered opportunity from Fiio far as I am concerned.

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,469 of 6,795
if you don't mind stacking go Mojo, ir you just play files from an SD card and want a stand alone player you have plenty of options on top of what you stated.

Get the X7 if you absolutely need streaming and hate stacking. Keep in mind that even at FW 1.5 the X7's Android side is unfinished, buggy and the hardware not well enough implemented to be the main way to enjoy music, really a bit of a squandered opportunity from Fiio far as I am concerned.

What do you recommend, if I get the mojo I have to sell my dx90, so my only source will have to be my note 5, would that be ok to drive the mojo? Or is sound better if it comes from a dap like ibasso or fiio with a mojo

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,470 of 6,795
   Hang in there.

I also heard the difference you did, Jon, (exactly the same) like the sound went overly warm. I also went back to 1.1.4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back