iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,366 of 6,795
If you have a legitimate problem, why not just send it back for  resolution or refund? Ibasso seem like a pretty customer focused company and will look after you, and if you bought from Amazon you'll be protected. If you bought a product from Best Buy and it didn't work, you'd take it back....what is the difference here? I just think it's bad practice to bad mouth a product when you haven't tried to resolve with the vendor first. Forums tend to concentrate problems, but most people I'm sure have perfectly good experiences.....however they don't tend to advertise that.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,367 of 6,795
I came here legitmally looking for help. All I said was first impressions are that I wouldn't recommend it. I think you are way out of line and off base with your comments

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,368 of 6,795
I totally disagree. I am pretty tech savvy and pretty stumped by this experience. I currently could not recommend this to a friend as they would be beyond lost

Please try a 64gb or smaller card for the FW formatted to FAT32.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,369 of 6,795
Please try a 64gb or smaller card for the FW formatted to FAT32.

I don't even think I own one. I bought this 200 brand new specifically for my new DX80. Now that isn't compatible for aFW update? This seems like a crazy process. Again, I am on a Mac so not even sure how to format to FAT32. I just don't see how any of this is user friendly. Have you considered over the air updates?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,370 of 6,795
I don't understand why folks like you feel the need to patronize folks who have problems with their brand new gear that they have PAID for. I still have an issues with DX90 and, answer by IBASSO support that freezing of the players is caused by a bad file it's just bull.​ To me that is just a crappy design and future FW updates just accelerated that problem, so I had to choose to either forget about any FW updating, or try to find which song on 256gb card was a "bad" one. I am sorry, but that is just not good enough, especially since these kind of issues tend to happen on all their players, which means they haven't got a clue how to fix it or they just don't care. So, until people are paying for their gear they have right to complain when that gear doesn't work out of the box. It's like you buy a new car and over first pothole suspension completely falls apart, instead of just giving you a rough ride if suspension is cheap and nasty. Hope you get my point. Rant over.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,371 of 6,795
I don't understand why folks like you feel the need to patronize folks who have problems with their brand new gear that they have PAID for. I still have an issues with DX90 and, answer by IBASSO support that freezing of the players is caused by a bad file it's just bull.​ To me that is just a crappy design and future FW updates just accelerated that problem, so I had to choose to either forget about any FW updating, or try to find which song on 256gb card was a "bad" one. I am sorry, but that is just not good enough, especially since these kind of issues tend to happen on all their players, which means they haven't got a clue how to fix it or they just don't care. So, until people are paying for their gear they have right to complain when that gear doesn't work out of the box. It's like you buy a new car and over first pothole suspension completely falls apart, instead of just giving you a rough ride if suspension is cheap and nasty. Hope you get my point. Rant over.

I agree, looking at this simply is (too many people are clearly unhappy, it's looming like a failed product, expecially when ibasso is allredy launching another dx model)

For something that costs 350$ just to play music files.. (an Xbox or ps4 or mid range pc) if one of those products had as many problems as this dx model they would have recalled.

Dx80 comes in tomorrow for me, I won't hesitate to return and keep my dx90 until something *significantly subjective* comes around

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,372 of 6,795
I don't even think I own one. I bought this 200 brand new specifically for my new DX80. Now that isn't compatible for aFW update? This seems like a crazy process. Again, I am on a Mac so not even sure how to format to FAT32. I just don't see how any of this is user friendly. Have you considered over the air updates?

You can format to FAT in the Mac disc utility. The Disc Utility is found in Applications in the Utilities folder. Go into Erase and you will see where you can format cards or hard drives.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,373 of 6,795
Practically every manufacturer releases their products less than 100% ready and relies on user feedback to fix the bugs otherwise nothing would ever get released.
None of these "issues" being reported above are particular worth throwing your toys out of the pram over.

Make sure your SD card for the upgrade is less than 128GB and formatted as FAT32. Upgrade to latest firmware. Check your file names, TAGs and image sizes.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,374 of 6,795
Hey guys, I've just purchase the DX80 a week ago so I'd like to share my experience, views, thoughts with you guys. I'll be pointing out only the important stuff and hope in covering most of it in simple forms so that you don't have to go through the 90 pages in search for answers till your eyeballs rolls out.

*Do note that I'll be comparing it with the DX90.

Size & Weight
- Noticeably heavier, and longer. Results: More sturdy & sleek.

Battery
- Much better battery, observed up to 12 hours of usage at around 
volume 100, and scrolling through songs ever once in a while.

- While on the other hand my DX90 only last about 6 hours, that's 2 
times the improvement. What's better, it's draining on a bigger, 
brighter and clearer screen, with a quicker response to touch.(Not 
on the same level as the DX90)

SD Card Slot
- Not one, but two. TWOOOO. Supporting up to 2TB.. Well I 
don't think there's a 2TB SDcard in the market right now but you can at 
least thank iBasso for planning out your future. You don't even get 
that with the Ak100II(1 Internal and 1 slot) So consider yourself 
lucky people.

Design & GUI Interface
- Slimmer, more modern design. (Unlike my blocky DX90)

- I know not everyone, but personal I do care how my overall setup 
looks. So it's a plus for me that the DX80 have clear, bright and 
much better album art which looks great, along with the outlook 
design and beautiful interface.

- I believe It's something that I would get comments on how premium 
of a device it is, with a modern look/design and updated beautiful 
clean interface that I can enjoy looking at. Which I think I wouldn't get
with my DX90. (Not with that blocky feel and olden looking 
interface)

- That just goes to show how much iBasso intend to sharpen it's 
product line-up. Bringing a premium, affordable and good sounding 
device to us audio consumers. (I don't have to say, you guys know 
it's not an easy thing to do.) I wouldn't even want to start 
talking about the process.

Sound
- To my ears, it's definitely an improvement over the DX90. There's 
more rhythm to the music, better transparency, smoother bass and 
larger sound-stage which makes my listening experience with the DX80 
a more pleasant one, side by side in comparison with the DX90.
(Currently on a total 40 hours of burn-in)

- I can just use it with my Logitech speaker as a DAC to burn-in. 
After it reaches 100%, I can just go to sleep, leaving it playing 
with the iBasso burn-in cable and waking up 12 hours or earlier to 
pair it with my speaker again. How convenient is that?

Right...the hiss.. (Back to this again, oh wells)
- I think that generally, what most people experienced is the 
background noise coming from the recording from the tracks itself.

- Well, so how can you confirm this? Easy.
Play a track with your speaker, listen with your ears right next to 
it. If you pay attention, you'll notice the same "sssss" sound. 
It's just ever slightly more noticeable as you're listen with IEM 
because of the fact that IEM have a better isolation, which allow 
you to perceive the "sssss" sound better.

- If you still in doubt, go listen to some quiet Adele songs or 
something, and turn up the volume.

So how do you fix this problem? Well, there's a few ways.

1) Ignore the presence, yup. (As stupid as it sounds, it works)
- When you focus on something, you tend to get better at it as you 
move on. That's simple psychology just as anything else. If you try 
to do it, you'll succeed and get better in it and let me tell you, 
you ain't wanna be good in being sensitive to the "sssssss" sound.

- Basically just enjoy your music people.

2) Listen at lower volumes. (For me, it's around 95 or lower)

3) Get a earphone that's easier to drive. One that requires lesser 
volume to reach the same amount of loudness.

- Some IEM plays louder at the same volume, and some just requires 
more volume to drive and that explains why the "ssss" is louder for 
some. (Lesser volume, lesser perceived "sssss")

Thumping sound (When pressing play/next)
- Honestly, I didn't notice it until someone mentioned about it. It 
feels like a slight pressure coming from the earphones. Not 
noticeable, and hard to perceive, unless you really go and listen to 
it. (Which is dumb, I mean I would just forget about it)

CONCLUSION|

I was lucky to update it straight to 1.1.4 the moment I got it so I didn't experience much issues people are facing before the update. Big thumbs up to iBasso for refining the line-up.Really happy with the price I paid (Sold off my DX90 and only have to top it up approx 100USD) The DX90 is definitely a good player, having maintained the market price basically tells the story.

Definitely a step-up ahead, would love to see incremental improvements with the future updates. Thank you iBasso.

|In reality not everyone can be pleased, and people often complain about little problems that can be fixed with alternatives at the present. This is a mature device, not a toy. If you're having problems now, deal with it. I'm sure iBasso's doing their best with fixing your problems even while you're slacking off or drinking your coffee. So just give them the time. Not everyone's free, especially with the release of the DX80, upcoming DX200 and there's much to be done. So, In the mean time let's just all appreciate this great piece of art.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,375 of 6,795

Adele songs mostly have recording hiss. That is different from the hiss that I am hearing. The hiss only occur on sensitive Iems. With headphone, I care barely hear any hiss from the unit. But with my ciems, the hiss is there even when music are playing.
The Dx80 is really good for the price. Just that the hiss really annoyed me to no end.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,376 of 6,795
i am a new DX80 owner and wonder how long it would take the unit to break in, after ten days, it still sound on the same level as my ipod classic. I connect it via the Mojo optical cable to the Mojo and it was soundly outclassed by the AK120 in terms of air, separation, prat and soundstage. Am I expecting too much or is my unit still not fully broken in to live up to all the good reports seem here

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,377 of 6,795
  Adele songs mostly have recording hiss. That is different from the hiss that I am hearing. The hiss only occur on sensitive Iems. With headphone, I care barely hear any hiss from the unit. But with my ciems, the hiss is there even when music are playing.
The Dx80 is really good for the price. Just that the hiss really annoyed me to no end.

Actually, 85% of my songs I can hear the hiss just that some are less perceivable due to other sound/instruments(Adele's just a more obvious eg). I'm also using a rather sensitive earphones. Might be something to do with the CIEM's sensitivity, or impedance/output but I can't be sure.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,378 of 6,795

Actually, 85% of my songs I can hear the hiss just that some are less perceivable due to other sound/instruments(Adele's just a more obvious eg). I'm also using a rather sensitive earphones. Might be something to do with the CIEM's sensitivity, or impedance/output but I can't be sure.

Adele's song is recording hiss. So most probably the hiss from your other music is due to the dap. You can try listening it through a headphone. The hiss should not be there for most of the song.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,379 of 6,795
Will the DX-80 read Exfat cards that have not been formatted by the device itself? And with the latest FW update, what are the key remaining bugs, if any? Thanks.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,380 of 6,795
Hiss detection on the easiest way: play a song on your device and turn volume down to 0. Do you hear any hiss? On DX80 with Fischer Amps FA-3 I´ve noticed an audible one.
But for me negligible cos my listening level with the IEMs is much higher on DX80 on which hiss level completely disappears. So I think the hiss thing will often come to the boil where you should find out if it´s a real issue for you due to your habitual listening volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back