iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 20, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,306 of 6,795
  My unit had quite severe hissing too. Yes, there is no hiss when no songs are playing, but it starts after playing, apparently more so on quite parts, especially at the endings. I had used the DX80 with 3 of my IEMs - W4R, CE6P and V6s.
This was my experience so far:
W4R - moderate hissing. Not good, but still acceptable
CE6P - Severe hissing, unacceptable
V6s - Severe hissing, unacceptable
Furthermore, I found that using silver cables made the hiss worse too. I decided to send by DX80 back since I couldn't stand the hiss on my ce6p and v6s. No music for the time being 
frown.gif
Off-topic: Still excited for the DX200 though 

Yes the CE6P are rather sensitive earphones, having said that I don't understand why the DX80 hisses that much? The DX90 definitely is a fairly quiet player. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,307 of 6,795
  Yes the CE6P are rather sensitive earphones, having said that I don't understand why the DX80 hisses that much? The DX90 definitely is a fairly quiet player. 

I have owned the DX50 and DX90 before, and currently the DX80 and I agree that the DX90 really has a completely black background. No hiss, just total silence where I can really enjoy my music. I think not all the DX80s are affected by this problem. Probably just some from the very first batch (I was the first customer of my local retailer for the DX80). Right now I'm just using my first gen D-Zero for the time being. I must say it is also quite silent too, except for occasional noise from the computer. The hiss was worst with the V6s, I would say it was 50% or more of the volume of the music.

Anyway for the DX80 firmware I think iBasso should add in a feature to preserve the aspect ratio of the album art. Some of my album art aren't perfect squares and they look bad on display.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,308 of 6,795
Mine doesn't hiss. I observed hissing coming only from some music files.

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,309 of 6,795
  I have owned the DX50 and DX90 before, and currently the DX80 and I agree that the DX90 really has a completely black background. No hiss, just total silence where I can really enjoy my music. I think not all the DX80s are affected by this problem. Probably just some from the very first batch (I was the first customer of my local retailer for the DX80). Right now I'm just using my first gen D-Zero for the time being. I must say it is also quite silent too, except for occasional noise from the computer. The hiss was worst with the V6s, I would say it was 50% or more of the volume of the music.

Anyway for the DX80 firmware I think iBasso should add in a feature to preserve the aspect ratio of the album art. Some of my album art aren't perfect squares and they look bad on display.

My Dx80 should not be from the first batch. As it comes with FW 1.1.2 already.
And is a restock batch from my retailer.
Just wondering does it happens to all Dx80. Or just a few isolated case.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,310 of 6,795
  My Dx80 should not be from the first batch. As it comes with FW 1.1.2 already.
And is a restock batch from my retailer.
Just wondering does it happens to all Dx80. Or just a few isolated case.

With all of the headphones I've tried, including sensitive IEM's, I hear no hiss on the DX80 if it is not in the recording.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,311 of 6,795
What do you think will sound better:

DX80. Or iPhone6 paired with an Oppo HA-2?

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,312 of 6,795
The DX80 by itself. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,313 of 6,795
Well , my X80 finally arrived - Apparently when [the only UK stockist I could find] says 'in stock' - they mean it is in stock at the manufactures?!? So after 2 weeks they have arrived :)

Immediate first impressions V1.1.4:  (with Oppo PM3)
(compared to my DX90)

Good:

They are a more mature DAP than the DX90
More creamy, less attack, more relaxed
They certainly suite my new Planer Oppo P3 better
The vocals are more present and lifted out of the mix
The balance of bass/mids/treble is quite nice. At least nothing is exaggerated
They are more'audiophile' sounding (in some ways) 
They can be quite spacious and 3D
Classical sounds a lot better
UI is snappy and fast - I Like it
Finally battery life is more than 4-5 hours!!
Volume much lower for the same level
Ni Hiss detected here so it looks like hiss is a technical fault and not a characteristic of the player 
Not so Good:  (although, see below)

They are Not reference quality...I thought they would be :/
The Space and 3D can sometimes sound a little un-natural 
Incomplete first time scan (2x FAT32 128GB card) 
When playing an album that scans before it plays I get a loud crack (like when you unplug a headphone / turn off amp)
and some distortion at the begining, almost as if the player has got ahead of it self in its excitment!! 
Its only in certain light that the PLAY/FF/RR signs on the buttons can be seen
because of the bump were the screws are on the sides of the player I often miss hitting the power/volume buttons!
I think the volume are in the wrong position - Intuitively I go to an area where they 'should' be to adjust and always get it wrong!! 

Anyway, over all I think this is a fun sounding DAP. I can see why when asked if it is better than DX90 people tend to say...it sounds different. As is often the case I think it depends on music / cans / preference as to whether it is better.
basically, Im happy with it

>>>> EDIT: All the above is in reference to the Oppo PM3 planer closed back cans. <<<<

Listening now through Fidue A83 triple hybrid driver and . . 

>> Holy Mother of the Music Gods<< Does this player sound PHENOMENAL. Better than the DX90? With the A83 - Hell YES - Its a whole 'nother level. *swoons*

I better put it away now - Not supposed to be listening to it until Christmas!! But hey, I had to make sure it was charged, ready with new update & cards installed, Right?? :D

So as far the A83's pairing - I would give the DX80 95/100. I can't fault the sound... *swoons again*
Once again iBasso has taken me to a new level in my listening pleasure :D

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,315 of 6,795
The second part of a review:

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/ibasso-dx80-revival-of-the-hero-ii/

A new firmware will be out within one week.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 21, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,318 of 6,795
Post moved to DX80 Issues thread.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,319 of 6,795
  Help please.  Just got my new DX80, and well, I originally thought that I had inserted a micro sd card incorrectly, but it is correctly placed.  However, it is stuck, and it is in slot 2, and this will be problematic for any future fw updates.  Any asisstance would be appreciated.  Thanks!

using pinset maybe can help, 

anyway are there silent when playing dsd file over spdif out can be fixed by firmware ? 

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,320 of 6,795
  The second part of a review:

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/ibasso-dx80-revival-of-the-hero-ii/

A new firmware will be out within one week.

Hi Paul, do you have a list of what we should expect in this new fw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back