iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,126 of 6,795

Thanks Paul, that's great news. My unit came via Amazon, small nick on the chassis on the back I can live with, probably a production flaw.

Searching online, I don't see any DX80 pdf manual....I'll start poking around to look for any gain settings.

The gain setting can be accessed by dragging your finger from the top of the screen down. A drop down window will come down with the gain and other settings. I am sorry your DX80 has a nick. Each unit is inspected before leaving us and this should have been caught. You can return it for replacement if you would like.

Is it normal when using as USB DAC for Line Out to suddenly drop out and remain off?

I can go the phones out to work, but Line Out just stops working...?

Regrding my earlier concerns about gain, I had my LDR on the wrong input.

There is a relay that automatically switches to line out when a plug is inserted in that socket. It seems the relay is not working correctly. If you have a plug in the line out the headphone out plug is off but the line out should stay on until you remove the plug. We have not had this happen before but I will report it to our QC team.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,128 of 6,795

Greetings,
I'm considering the DX80 as gift for my wife, but my concern is creating and importing playlists. I have searched, and I have attempted to download the manual (it's an empty excel file). Would someone please explain the process for creating a playlist from within the player and, more important, how to import an externally created playlist. She would most likely use VLC to create her playlists. I can also create playlists for her on Jriver. 
thanks for your help.

The User Manual is a PDF, so something probably went wonky when you tried to DL it. Basically all you need to do is hit the + on the screen to add a song/create a playlist.

I haven't actually done a playlist so I was just reporting what i know of the interface. It appears that you would need to have the track ready to play before you get the +sign but as you said others have mentioned more sophisticated ways to create these. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,131 of 6,795
  The gain setting can be accessed by dragging your finger from the top of the screen down. A drop down window will come down with the gain and other settings. I am sorry your DX80 has a nick. Each unit is inspected before leaving us and this should have been caught. You can return it for replacement if you would like.

There is a relay that automatically switches to line out when a plug is inserted in that socket. It seems the relay is not working correctly. If you have a plug in the line out the headphone out plug is off but the line out should stay on until you remove the plug. We have not had this happen before but I will report it to our QC team.

Thanks, I am using an LDR passive preamp so maybe that is an issue, if the iBasso doesn't see a load on line out, no idea?

Also, when using the phones output to the LDR, it just deciding to go into Charging Mode while in DAC mode, and stop playing music. Maybe the battery was low, not sure, I couldn't tell.

Will test some more later.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,132 of 6,795
Thanks for your reply, I was finally able to get the manual. The manual is not detailed in regard to my questions. It mentions, as you do, to press "+", Can this be done to add individual tracks when browsing the Directories? Or do you have to add the song to a playlist from the "Now Playing" screen? 
For importing, I saw an earlier post about how playlists on this device used reversed directory separators, ie, from "\" to "/". A poster mentioned that he had to edit the external playlist and reverse all of these. I'm sure that I could write a macro to do this, but I don't want to and I think it would be a deal killer. Would someone please comment on this issue?
thanks again,
kadiddle

You can add individual songs, albums, artists discography or an entire genre to a playlist from the directories by holding down on your chosen subject until the options appear (this takes around 2 seconds). This is also shown on page 18 of the manual.

Here's a link to the manual pdf if anyone's having trouble finding it. http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20151113/201511132335379336.pdf

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,133 of 6,795
  Greetings,
I'm considering the DX80 as gift for my wife, but my concern is creating and importing playlists. I have searched, and I have attempted to download the manual (it's an empty excel file). Would someone please explain the process for creating a playlist from within the player and, more important, how to import an externally created playlist. She would most likely use VLC to create her playlists. I can also create playlists for her on Jriver. 
thanks for your help.

I have no problems creating and importing playlists on my DX80. I first used MediaMonkey to create a playlist in .m3u format, and that needed editing before it would import into the DX80 (see below). Now that I know how to do this, I wrote a simple program that will create playlists and those import in one step.

I wrote the instructions below for someone else. They cover using the DX80 to create a playlist, and how to import a .m3u playlist created on a PC.
These instructions kinda did not work for him - he could not get the DX80 to export a playlist (steps 9-13), and thus couldn't complete them.
These steps do work for me, since I performed the steps as I wrote them down.

Hopefully it will work for you.
It's a lot of instructions but I'm a very detailed guy... It doesn't take all that long - besides waiting for the DX80 to actually do the import.

I'm assuming you're on a Windows PC. If you're on a Mac this will be a little different - and I have no idea how it will be different, but probably in steps 15 and 16 when dealing with the slashes and backslashes.

1. Copy all the music you want to your DX80.
2. Copy the playlist file to the device - someplace easy to find like the root directory.
3. Using the DX80, play a song. Tap on the album cover until 2 symbols appear at the top - a plus sign on the left, and something on the right.
4. Tap the plus sign. You'll see all your playlists - which is probably blank except for a box with a plus sign in it.
5. Tap that box with the plus sign. This will create a new playlist called Playlist1.
6. Click the Back arrow in the top left to go back to the song that's playing.
7. Swipe right to get to the My Music screen.
8. Click on Playlist on the bottom right. Again you'll see all the playlists on the device.
9. Long-press Playlist1 until the next screen pops up.
10. Tap Export. It will take a second or so, and you'll be back on the screen showing all the playlists.
11. Plug the DX80 back into your computer.
12. Open the drive that is the DX80, and browse to the \m3u directory.
13. You should see a file called Playlist1.m3u
14. Open that file in a text editor. You'll see something like:

/mnt/external_sd/The Edgar Winter Group/They Only Come Out at Night/Frankenstein.flac

Note a couple things here - the slashes / not backslashes \, and the first two paths. In my case, "/mnt/external_sd" - you might see "/mnt/firstsd" since it depends on which slot your music card is in.

15. Using a text editor, open your playlist that you copied to the DX80 back in Step 2. You'll see a list of songs but they'll be in DOS format, something like:

C:\Music\The Edgar Winter Group\They Only Come Out at Night\Frankenstein.flac

16. Now perform 2 search-and-replace actions in the text editor:
16a. Replace all occurrences of "C:\Music\" (or whatever you have) with "/mnt/external_sd/" or "/mnt/firstsd/" (whichever one appeared in Step 14).
- NOTE: It may just be "C:\". Compare the paths and only replace what is different.
16b. Replace all occurrences of "\" with "/"
17. Save the file, which should overwrite the one on the DX80.
18. Unplug from your PC and start the DX80 up again.
19. It should be showing a song, so swipe right to get back to the My Music screen.
20. In the middle-right, tap on Directory.
21. Tap on your card that contains your music, either SD card 1 or SD card 2
22. Find your playlist that you edited in Step 16
23. Tap on your playlist. A box will pop up, asking "Import Playlist?" Tap Yes.
24. It will scan the media looking for each song. Depending on the number of songs in the playlist and on the device, it could take some time.
25. When it's done it will pop back showing the files in that directory. Click the Back arrow a few times until you're back on the My Music screen.
26. On the bottom right, click on Playlist.
27. Tap on your playlist. A list of songs in that playlist should appear. Scroll through if you wish to see if they're all there.
28. Click the back arrow to show the list of playlists.
29. Long-press your playlist. A window will pop up. Hit Play.
30. Enjoy your music.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,134 of 6,795
I'm considering getting an Oppo HA-2 to pair with my iphone 6+ and macbook pro. Goals are to provide a better output than the iphone and macbook DAC... the Dx80 is in this price range, does anyone have a sound quality comparison between the HA-2 and the DX80?

I have the sony XBA-Z5 and the Fostex TH-X00

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,136 of 6,795
  I'm considering getting an Oppo HA-2 to pair with my iphone 6+ and macbook pro. Goals are to provide a better output than the iphone and macbook DAC... the Dx80 is in this price range, does anyone have a sound quality comparison between the HA-2 and the DX80?

I have the sony XBA-Z5 and the Fostex TH-X00

I have both the HA-2 and DX80, and they sound quite different. HA-2 is such a versatile, well-designed machine that it's worth having around for a variety of applications.
From the practical point of view, I really like the HA-2's build quality, awesome USB rapid charger (5A!) but I stopped using it with iPod simply because of the annoying high-res file transfer process and limited onboard memory on my iPod.

Sound wise, both have similar power output to be able to drive moderate larger headphones. To me, DX80 feels like it has a particular sound character that is quite unique (I wouldn't go as far as saying "coloured"). The low mids in particular is very highly resolving and has a great sense of space compared to the other DAPs I tried, but the high frequency is not as sparkly or fluid as I want it to be. I thought the DX80 is like a good boutique analogue amplifier (like tube amps) that makes even bad music sound good. It takes away the harshness in music.

HA-2 on the other hand is much more plain and dry. I think it's close to the way transistor desktop headphone amps sound, quite linear and easy to pick up the subtle details. It's very similar to HA-1 in the sound signature. However, it can sound a bit boring where there's nothing really going for it. It's like the most reliable Toyota. I guess the thing I like about the HA-2 is that I tend to forget about it, meaning that I am hearing the music and the headphones, so the amp becomes somewhat invisible. DX80 sounds like I'm listening with the DX80, which maybe a good thing or a bad thing. Anyway that's my opinion.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,138 of 6,795

DX80's S/PDIF output can do PCM up to 192kHz/24bit as long as the cable is good enough quality.
It can't output DSD so it will be silent.

I tested S/PDIF / Coax output. Basically I play DSD most of time. Please let me know if you have different results.
1. 16/44.1 OK
2. 24/48  OK
3. 24/88.2 OK
4. 24/96    OK
5. 24/192  with supplied Coax cable, some songs sound cutting-out like bandwidth congestion , some songs silent, not OK 
6. DSD64   silent, not OK 

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,139 of 6,795
My dx80 was drowning about 40% (95 to 57) last night, which is I leave it standby for 3-4 hour, is that normal?

How much actual play time? I get around 12 hours of actual play. When I am not using it I shut it off unless it is on the USB keeping it charged. 

I tested S/PDIF / Coax output. Basically I play DSD most of time. Please let me know if you have different results.
1. 16/44.1 OK
2. 24/48  OK
3. 24/88.2 OK
4. 24/96    OK
5. 24/192  with supplied Coax cable, some songs sound cutting-out like bandwidth congestion , some songs silent, not OK 
6. DSD64   silent, not OK 

With my coax, I get up to and including 24/192. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back