iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 6, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #946 of 6,795

Do you have another card to try?

Unfortunately no.

I have managed to scan the whole card by copying about 10 albums at a time and performing a scan. A long and tedious process but worked out okay. So I believe it has more to do with the number of tracks to scan at one go, as the content is more or less the same when I tried to scan the whole card from scratch.

I hope iBasso could look into it?

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #947 of 6,795
  Unfortunately no.

I have managed to scan the whole card by copying about 10 albums at a time and performing a scan. A long and tedious process but worked out okay. So I believe it has more to do with the number of tracks to scan at one go, as the content is more or less the same when I tried to scan the whole card from scratch.

I hope iBasso could look into it?

Have you tried deleting the folder DX80 creates on the micro sd card? It will be called: .audio_data

Try deleting that then perform a fresh scan.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #949 of 6,795

Have you tried deleting the folder DX80 creates on the micro sd card? It will be called: .audio_data

Try deleting that then perform a fresh scan.

One of the first things I have tried. I have also tried formatting the entire card. Whatever the issue, I am not going to try anything else right now. Hopefully I don't have to try and scan the whole card again from scratch any time soon.

Apart from this issue, sound performance wise I am quite impressed. Compared to the X3ii the sound is a bit more spaced out and brighter. Overall sound seems more resolved and composed while also more lively. Nice!

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #951 of 6,795

I don't have an ER4/S but it says 100 ohms 98 dB/mW (108 dB/mV). I was able to get my AKG K240DF to go loud enough, and that's 600 ohms 88 dB/mW (much less efficient) so I would guess that it should be ok.

In any case you would be hard pressed to find another DAP that can drive as loud as the DX80. Also, considering that ER4/S is fairly direct and sharp sounding, I would think that the DX80's wide deep sound character will match nicely. I found that DX80 really gives musicality to studio monitors and analytical headphones.

Thanx Sandalaudio, still trying to look for my first DAP, will definitely look into this one.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #953 of 6,795
Is the dx80 a significant upgrade in sound quality (I know it's subjective, but considering clarity, accuracy, Soundstage, imaging) over the dx90?

IMO, a significant upgrade in sound quality...No.  An upgrade to a lesser degree...Yes.  

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #954 of 6,795
IMO, a significant upgrade in sound quality...No.  An upgrade to a lesser degree...Yes.  

Thank you so much, been waiting for reply ever since I wrote, I'm very eager to purchase allready, right now I'm torn between dx80 and dx90, I just don't know which one would be a better buy for my se846

On a side note (are the stock *clear * cables for my se846 better then the black cables that have volume control and pause for the se535? Or are they the same internally, I wonder if I should invest in a cable, if it would be try worth it, but I'd like to know if the clear cable is better then the black SE cables or if it makes no difference

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #955 of 6,795
Thank you so much, been waiting for reply ever since I wrote, I'm very eager to purchase allready, right now I'm torn between dx80 and dx90, I just don't know which one would be a better buy for my se846

On a side note (are the stock *clear * cables for my se846 better then the black cables that have volume control and pause for the se535? Or are they the same internally, I wonder if I should invest in a cable, if it would be try worth it, but I'd like to know if the clear cable is better then the black SE cables or if it makes no difference

"....or if it makes no difference"

That's an argument that has been raging for ever and there are lots of threads here dedicated to it.
My advice would be to try it with the stock cable for a while and then decide later.

As for DX90 vs DX80, I'm still trying to decide if there is much difference in the sound, which I think says it all for me. However, the DX80 does have the advantage of improvements in GUI and two SD slots.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #956 of 6,795

if you could, then invest in a good cable.

i'm using the moon audio silver dragon cable for my 846. noticeable improvements are:
- tighter bass and less congestion in mid/bass range
- more forward sounding
- better soundstage
- controlled highs
- more flexible cable and easier to route around the ear.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #957 of 6,795
if you could, then invest in a good cable.

i'm using the moon audio silver dragon cable for my 846. noticeable improvements are:

- tighter bass and less congestion in mid/bass range
- more forward sounding
- better soundstage
- controlled highs
- more flexible cable and easier to route around the ear.

I'm so exited to get a worthy dap, I know the the ibassos are probably considered low end compared to how pricy I've seen dap get, but I'm still very exited, and I hope the dx80 or 90 (still don't know which to get) would improve my se846 (or at least get the most out of them)

As for cables, for now I'm just wondering which would work best the clear ones that came stock with the se846 or the black ones stock that came with the se535ltd (I have both) are they the same cables internally?

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #958 of 6,795
I'm so exited to get a worthy dap, I know the the ibassos are probably considered low end compared to how pricy I've seen dap get, but I'm still very exited, and I hope the dx80 or 90 (still don't know which to get) would improve my se846 (or at least get the most out of them)

As for cables, for now I'm just wondering which would work best the clear ones that came stock with the se846 or the black ones stock that came with the se535ltd (I have both) are they the same cables internally?

Low end because of price or functions and sound? If we had priced the DX80 at $1000.00 would it be high end?
smile.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #959 of 6,795

Low end because of price or functions and sound? If we had priced the DX80 at $1000.00 would it be high end?
smile.gif

Very smart, Paul. And i totally agree with you on this one. iBasso just know how to produce a great sounding DAP for
a very fair Price. Sure, they could sell this one for $1000.00 and sell 1000 per year, or they can sell them for the
recent price and probably sell quiet a few more in the long term.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #960 of 6,795
Low end because of price or functions and sound? If we had priced the DX80 at $1000.00 would it be high end? :smile:

No not in matter of price, but I think it's fairly accepted that the known higher end models like AK (just 1 example) are accepted as being of much higher quality, judging by the very many posts and threads on this site and others that most (not all) dap that are priced above 800 are typical of eclipsing dx(anything) in quality, often times high price is asked due to high quality provided, I see you point, but in comparison... Well... There just isn't other then price....

With that said my pocket can afford a 200$ to 350$ player max, but if I could afford more, I would have long ago skipped this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back