iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #931 of 6,795
Noticing hiss with the se846? I'm. Coming from the dx50 which I love, but I want a better sound quality and no hiss, is it significant sound quality upgrade?

The DX90 was a big improvement on the DX50. The DX80 has some good physical improvements over the DX90.
I'm currently not sure if the sound is better than the DX90 or just similar, but it will still be an upgrade over your DX50.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #932 of 6,795

From what I have seen using several varieties of headphones on one of these problem units, if you have the "hiss problem" it may have nothing to do with IEM's.

I agree, but I'll emphasize the "may".

My first unit hissed with my Grado IEMs, but not either of my Klipsch IEMs.So, in a way, it had something to do with the IEMs.

However, I'd bet - just a guess - that this particular DX80 would have hissed with numerous other sensitive and/or low-impedance IEMs. My guess would be that the issue was definitely with the DX80, not the IEMs.

My second DX80 has no hiss with any of my IEMs. So again I'd have to guess that the issue was definitely with that first DX80, not the IEMs.

In the end: if you don't hear hiss, don't worry.
If you're thinking about buying a DX80, but are worried about hiss, then buy it because it's an awesome unit. Chances are very small that your unit will hiss, judging by the comments on this forum. There are far less occurrences of hiss then no hiss, so chances are very good that you'll be fine. But immediately test it for hiss. If it does hiss then return it within the allowed return period and get a replacement. That strategy worked for me, and I'm quite happy.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #933 of 6,795
The DX90 was a big improvement on the DX50. The DX80 has some good physical improvements over the DX90.
I'm currently not sure if the sound is better than the DX90 or just similar, but it will still be an upgrade over your DX50.

Thanks so much, anyone else can relate, what do I need t do. To make the se846 sound the best it can considering a price range of max 450,and no hiss

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #934 of 6,795
Thanks so much, anyone else can relate, what do I need t do. To make the se846 sound the best it can considering a price range of max 450,and no hiss

We had a few units with the hiss in the very first batch. We have produced a few thousand since then with no issue. Progress never stops. We developed the DX80 which we feel is an upgrade in sound and features at a lower price than might have been possible in the past.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #935 of 6,795

We had a few units with the hiss in the very first batch. We have produced a few thousand since then with no issue. Progress never stops. We developed the DX80 which we feel is an upgrade in sound and features at a lower price than might have been possible in the past.

Hi Paul,

Just curious how you knew the first batches had hissing issues? Was it only from feedback? Also, how do you know the next 1000 did not have issues? Again, is it because you have not heard anything from the community only, or did you actually test them? What was the issue that caused the hissing.

Thanks

D.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #936 of 6,795

Wrong. It is a combined optical and coaxial digital output.

I just saw COAX cable inside the package. Do you know which cable is for optical ?  By the way, DSD (DSF, DIFF)  cannot be transport through COAX or Optical, not sure 24/192 PCM.  When I connected optical to my receiver , I did not hear anything for DSD or 24/192 playback, only heard 16/44.1 or 24/96 PCM maximum. I upgraded from DX50, which converted from DSD to 24/88.2 when play DSD, sounded great when connected to receiver via COAX.

I am not sure if we can request Paul to ask Development team to add one more new feature.

New Feature Request.
1. Add one feature to output 24/88.2 via optical/coax if playback DSD or 24/192 PCM. If we do not have this feature, it seems optical/coax output does not make any sense because 16/44.1 PCM does not need optical/coax output.
2. Setting Display Album artwork priority ( Display .jpg in the same folder first, embedded second or vice versa, rotate Album pictures automatically if multiple .jpg files exist because it makes more sense for bigger screen.)
3. Display Lyrics (Embeded or .lrc file)  if tap album artwork like iPhone because it makes more sense for bigger screen.

In addition, upgrade from DX50 , I heard song singer voice if little bit far away comparing DX50 and not sure it was caused by more   bass or treble or different sound signature. Or maybe DX50 is warmer or muddler, anyone who has the same feeling shares any thoughts ?

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #937 of 6,795

Wrong. It is a combined optical and coaxial digital output.

I just saw COAX cable inside the package. Do you know which cable is for optical ?

By the way, DSD (DSF, DIFF)  cannot be transport through COAX or Optical, not sure 24/192 PCM.  When I connected optical to my receiver , I did not hear anything for DSD or 24/192 playback, only heard 16/44.1 or 24/96 PCM maximum. I upgraded from DX50, which converted from DSD to 24/88.2 when play DSD, sounded great when connected to receiver via COAX.

I am not sure if we can request Paul to ask Development team to add one more new feature.

New Feature Request.
1. Add one feature to output 24/88.2 via optical/coax if playback DSD or 24/192 PCM. If we do not have this feature, it seems optical/coax output does not make any sense because 16/44.1 PCM does not need optical/coax output.
2. Setting Display Album artwork priority ( Display .jpg in the same folder first, embedded second or vice versa, rotate Album pictures automatically if multiple .jpg files exist because it makes more sense for bigger screen.)
3. Display Lyrics (Embeded or .lrc file)  if tap album artwork like iPhone because it makes more sense for bigger screen.

In addition, upgrade from DX50 , I heard song singer voice if little bit far away comparing DX50 and not sure it was caused by more   bass or treble or different sound signature. Or maybe DX50 is warmer or muddler, anyone who has the same feeling shares any thoughts ?

It is correct, included is only an electrical coaxial digital cable.
You can get optical digital cables (TOSLINK) cables from nearly every online-store that has digital cables (e.g. Amazon).

Both TOSLINK (COAX) as well as S/PDIF work very well with the DX80 (standard CD format) and I really like that it shares one output socket for both types and switches them automatically.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #938 of 6,795

Just to get this hissing business cleared once and for all, it would be nice to get a confirmation from iBasso on if there was some particular hardware issue identified with the first batch, which is totally fixed on the later batches.

I had a similar issue with Chord Mojo, where my first unit had a hardware fault that had hissing (which Chord admitted), and a replacement unit had no such issues.
The unfortunate thing was that the people who got their hands on the unit early (i.e. reviewers) had the hissing batch and made the bad reputation spread around.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #939 of 6,795

Just to get this hissing business cleared once and for all, it would be nice to get a confirmation from iBasso on if there was some particular hardware issue identified with the first batch, which is totally fixed on the later batches.

I had a similar issue with Chord Mojo, where my first unit had a hardware fault that had hissing (which Chord admitted), and a replacement unit had no such issues.
The unfortunate thing was that the people who got their hands on the unit early (i.e. reviewers) had the hissing batch and made the bad reputation spread around.

That is why I said it was a few in the first batch. A capacitor was changed and the problem solved and no longer exists.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #940 of 6,795
That is why I said it was a few in the first batch. A capacitor was changed and the problem solved and no longer exists.

That is enough confirmation I need, guys it looks like ibasso is on top of the game and fixing issues promptly, I just hope for at least 2 years of software update support,

I still am not convinced this is an upgrade over the dx90 (I never owned) due to reading this and other threads, it's rather unclear as far as sound quality (For me sound quality is most important over features and touchscreen)

My ultimate question before I hit the *buy* button,

Is the dx80 a significant upgrade in sound quality (I know it's subjective, but considering clarity, accuracy, Soundstage, imaging) over the dx90?

2nd... For the shure se846 would it pair up good in general? Would me buying an amp like the fiio e12 or something similar (idk anything about amps and which one would be good sub 150$) if and only if it satisfies the se846.

I just want to reach a Lvl with a *rig* that I can be comfy for about a year and then slowly upgrade,

I went from se535 to ie800 to k3003 to jh iem to UE ciem and to me by far the best is se846 with sensaphonic sleeves. But that's just me subjectively

Thank you for reading, and please advise

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #942 of 6,795
Hi guys, just wondering if the DX80 works well with etymotic ER4/S? i read that it can drive up to 600 ohm somewhere but i am not 100% certain. Anybody can clarify on this? will it be a good pairing? thanks

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #944 of 6,795
Hi guys, just wondering if the DX80 works well with etymotic ER4/S? i read that it can drive up to 600 ohm somewhere but i am not 100% certain. Anybody can clarify on this? will it be a good pairing? thanks

I don't have an ER4/S but it says 100 ohms 98 dB/mW (108 dB/mV). I was able to get my AKG K240DF to go loud enough, and that's 600 ohms 88 dB/mW (much less efficient) so I would guess that it should be ok.

In any case you would be hard pressed to find another DAP that can drive as loud as the DX80. Also, considering that ER4/S is fairly direct and sharp sounding, I would think that the DX80's wide deep sound character will match nicely. I found that DX80 really gives musicality to studio monitors and analytical headphones.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #945 of 6,795

I have ER4S / DX80. 

DX80 can drive them just fine in low gain at around 90/150 - what I'd consider 'normal' listening levels.

When moving up to 120/150 I wouldn't go much louder personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back