iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #766 of 6,795
iBasso DX80 + Shure 846 + Moon Audio Silver Dragon iem cable

audible low level hiss on low gain setting, in particular when no music is playing, and during the first few seconds of silence in a song once playback is initiated. wish it was pitch black. 

am assuming:
this is due to the Shures being a sensitive iem?
this will not resolve with burning in?
a future firmware update will not fix this?

otherwise, i think it has very very good sound quality.

do you guys use sharp or slow roll-off?

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #768 of 6,795
I ended up ordering both the DX80 and DX90 (i found an online store which still has the DX90 here in europe) as the issue with the hissing of the DX80 with sensitive iems made me worried. Next week i'll receive the DX80 and hopefully the DX90 as well so I will compare both with my Shure Se846 and check which one i like more. To be honest, for the two iBasso i paid less of the price of just one ak 100 ii so i may keep both 
dt880smile.png

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #769 of 6,795
I haven't got any hissing in my DX80 so far.
  iBasso DX80 + Shure 846 + Moon Audio Silver Dragon iem cable

audible low level hiss on low gain setting, in particular when no music is playing, and during the first few seconds of silence in a song once playback is initiated. wish it was pitch black. 

am assuming:
this is due to the Shures being a sensitive iem?
this will not resolve with burning in?
a future firmware update will not fix this?

otherwise, i think it has very very good sound quality.

do you guys use sharp or slow roll-off?

I use slow roll-off, and haven't got any hissing so far.
And also used as USB-DAC, no hissing at all.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #770 of 6,795
Slow or fast roll-off made no difference to hissing for me.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #771 of 6,795
  It means, the headphone amplifier is sensitive to RF noises fed by some kinds of cables. From my experience, the main source are Wi-Fi access points (2.4GHz). By the way, I hear no interference from my mobile phone in different bands (tried GSM, UMTS, LTE).

I can test this when I get home.  However, I have two DX80's in the house right now.  One hisses and one does not, so it may be more than just a nearby WiFi source.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #772 of 6,795

I can test this when I get home.  However, I have two DX80's in the house right now.  One hisses and one does not, so it may be more than just a nearby WiFi source.

Sounds like it is product quality problem.
hopefully the shop let me test listen for a while.
Mine doesn't have hisses so far.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #773 of 6,795
  I preordered the DX80 in Thailand / Bangkok. Will get it tomorrow. I am super excited to test it with my Shure SE846 (with upgraded silver cable). Will post some comparison to Meridian Explorer 2 and Audioquest Dragonfly in terms of DAC abilities.

Does the DX80 work flawlessly as USB DAC with the current firmware ?

And are there better USB Cables available as upgrade (and do they make sense ? while i didn't believe all the talk about upgraded USB Cables, since it is digital, the upgrade on my meridian explorer 2 really brought better results than stock cable haha).

Where did you order it from to have it delivered to Thailand?

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #775 of 6,795
  Where did you order it from to have it delivered to Thailand?

Munkonggadget is a dealer of Ibasso in Thailand. They have stocked DX80.

http://forum.munkonggadget.com/stock/?m=browse&shop=munkong&option=category&brand=IBASSO&category_id=7&order=latest

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #776 of 6,795
I find this a big problem now that people with the hiss problems are coming out in the open. I would think Ibasso should do a recall for people affected by this problem.

I tried a test which helps me dectec the amount of hiss on a few iem's and full sized head phone and here are the results.

For the test I listened while the cans where plugged into the device after that I would play and pause a song at 0 volume to see if the hiss was amplified.

Dt770 pro 250 ohm - no hiss at all during playback
Hd598 - barely hissing not noticeable with volume past 1
Lcd-xc - there is a audible hiss but surprisingly it jumps from right ear to left ear when the play button is pressed
Hf5 iem - audible hiss
Klipsch s4 - low audible hiss

I am sending mine back to Ibasso in China Monday if I don't here back from the Amazon seller.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #777 of 6,795
There seem to be two groups - one includes the people that are using very sensitive IEMs and are also very sensitive themselves (like me), and the other contains the ones who seem to have a defective DX80.

Things like

Lcd-xc - there is a audible hiss but surprisingly it jumps from right ear to left ear when the play button is pressed

sound like the latter (defective device) to me.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #778 of 6,795
I tried a test which helps me dectec the amount of hiss on a few iem's and full sized head phone and here are the results.

Do you happen to know the impedance and sensitivity of all of these? It seems, though I'm not sure, that the hiss is apparent on IEMs or cans that are very sensitive and/or have low impedance.

I have a feeling it's the impedance, since an external volume control, which adds some resistance, eliminates the hiss for me.

Paul from iBasso has said that these hissing DX80s can be returned for repair.
I'm reluctant to do so since the DX80 is my only player.
And I'm not yet convinced that this is an occasional issue with certain DX80s or a design flaw with all DX80s. I'd hate to return it for repair and have it come back with the same issue.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #779 of 6,795
I have seen other devices with hiss like the Chord Mojo. My Mojo doesn't have hiss nor does my DX80 but I would imagine if you have a Mojo (I have already seen that some have been sent in and received back with the problem solved) or a DX80 with hiss that either manufacture will fix it. It happens. On either I have hooked the phone out into another amp to see if at full power, I could detect hiss on either and I don't so I guess either some units are defective and also, as I have read, some cables act like antennas but with true hiss, I would contact the manufacture, a simple procedure. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #780 of 6,795
Do you happen to know the impedance and sensitivity of all of these? It seems, though I'm not sure, that the hiss is apparent on IEMs or cans that are very sensitive and/or have low impedance.

I have a feeling it's the impedance, since an external volume control, which adds some resistance, eliminates the hiss for me.

Paul from iBasso has said that these hissing DX80s can be returned for repair.
I'm reluctant to do so since the DX80 is my only player.
And I'm not yet convinced that this is an occasional issue with certain DX80s or a design flaw with all DX80s. I'd hate to return it for repair and have it come back with the same issue.

That's what it looks like to me I can't say until I send it to Ibasso for repair but I won't be able to comment until 4 months from now since I will be out of the states and will be taking the dx90 with me.

It could be defective since the dx90 I have is pitch black with all cans and iem's. I would send it in immediately and wait it out.

Hissing aside this is the best dap out there as of now for the money and what you get. I have 12000 plus songs and loading albums is instant and there is little hang up on all songs which is still better than same and upper class daps like the ak240 . I just hope they can fix the hissing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back