iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 27, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #751 of 6,795
Just wandering how many of you have a hiss-free DX80? Hearing all this talk about hiss has me paranoid. I have been playing various tracks from my 5500+ music library (FLAC files - Lossless) that is loaded on my DX80 trying to listen for the hiss, using Shure SE535 IEM's. Only of a few tracks can I hear any hiss (very little) and I am thinking it is more from the recording than the DX80. Most of my FLAC files when played through the DX80 presents a black background. I even tried to moved my cable around and moving the connection around on the headphone output and still no hiss. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones that got a good device or my ears are not that sensitive to detect the hiss (which I don't believe, because my hearing is really good). I ordered my DX80 from B & H Photo on November 19 and it came with fw 1.0.0 (which I immediately updated to 1.1.4).

Anyways just wandering how many of you are enjoying your DX80 without any complications, hiss, etc?

I ordered from amazon may try b and h photo the hiss is coming from my Etymotic Research HF5 @ 16 ohms vs the 30+ on your shures so we really can't say anything until someone compiles a list of a setup that hiss. It could be the dx80 is not fit for sensitive iem's and headphones. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #752 of 6,795
I get no hiss with my Klipsch IEMs, just my sensitive, low-impedance Grados. Don't be paranoid about impedance until you plug your IEMs in.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #754 of 6,795
After the 1.1.4 update, album art images are crystal clear! It's much easier to appreciate the 480x800 screen on the dx80 now. By the way, after a couple of days of listening I've noticed a slight background hiss. Not as bad as the dx50 but definitely not pitch black like the dx90. Anybody else has this too? Is it normal?

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #755 of 6,795
I just got my DX80 and so far I have been impressed with the sound straight out of the box and the headphone out socket. However I have been trying to use it with my Chord Mojo using the supplied coaxial cable but so far I have not been able to get any sound out of it and I just wondered if there is a correct way of hooking it up? The cable is very loose connecting to the Mojo which probably doesn't help.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #757 of 6,795
  I just got my DX80 and so far I have been impressed with the sound straight out of the box and the headphone out socket. However I have been trying to use it with my Chord Mojo using the supplied coaxial cable but so far I have not been able to get any sound out of it and I just wondered if there is a correct way of hooking it up? The cable is very loose connecting to the Mojo which probably doesn't help.

It will work. Just make sure the test file is not DSD as the player can't output that across the external digital output.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #759 of 6,795
  hi, i would like to know if the dx80 is made with metal enclosure unlike the dx90 ,which has metal like texture but still a piece of plastic? would dx80 also have the same problem? and what was the price u purchased the 80?

thanks a lot! i really look forward to your full review on this machintahtt toN​

Not that it is very relevant, with the DX90 being phased out,  but at least some parts of the DX90 casing are metal. I had an accident with mine right at the beginning (helpful to stop worrying about minor damage in use) and it fell out of the car onto the road.  It still has the bright chips on the edge. You don't get that with plastic.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #760 of 6,795
  Thanks for that. Looking at your photos it seems like I may need an adaptor to go between the cable and the Mojo?

for connecting to Mojo you need cable with two 3,5mm mono jacks. cable supplied with DX80/90 is with 3,5mm jack on one end and RCA jack on the other end, so you need adaptor 3,5mm mono jack / RCA. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #761 of 6,795
Regarding the hiss with some headphone cables.

Yes, I mean it: the hiss is sourced from cables! I have two different cables for my UM Merlin, a stock and a custom made (see the link in my signature). Only the custom one, thick and heavy silver cable, produces the hiss. The stock cable, and other headphones I tried, are all black silent.

Even with this cable, I experience no the hiss problem outdoor, in a bus, or in an underground train. Only a small hiss I hear in the office. That's because I have 30+ WI-Fi spots around at home, onlt a few at the office, and nothing at th street or bus. At home, near my Wi-Fi router, the hiss depends on the router activity.

To prove that the cable feeds RF noise into the player, I've disassembled the cable connector, and soldered a ceramic capacitor (0.51nF, but the one that I have handy, actually) between one signal wire and the ground. I didn't put the second one, because the second signal wire is hard to reach. The hiss totally eliminated, in both channels! Only if I go close to my Wi-Fi router, and touch the cable with finger, I can hear low level hiss, and only in the channel without a capacitor.

It means, the headphone amplifier is sensitive to RF noises fed by some kinds of cables. From my experience, the main source are Wi-Fi access points (2.4GHz). By the way, I hear no interference from my mobile phone in different bands (tried GSM, UMTS, LTE).

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #762 of 6,795
  Regarding the hiss with some headphone cables.

I don't know whether to be relieved that the problem is not with my dx80 or be concerned that the silver cables i just ordered will hiss badly
frown.gif
 . Currently I'm using only the stock westone cable and the hiss is just moderately audible. Recalling back I remembered trying some silver cables a few weeks back and the hiss was quite severe. I noticed it on the spot immediately as whereas for my stock cables I only noticed just a few days ago. So I am guessing that you are probably right, the hiss lies with the cables, not the dx80. Hope my new silver cables will pair beautifully with my dx80 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #764 of 6,795
[COLOR=0000CD]Regarding the hiss with some headphone cables.[/COLOR]

Yes, I mean it: the hiss is sourced from cables! I have two different cables for my UM Merlin, a stock and a custom made (see the link in my signature). Only the custom one, thick and heavy silver cable, produces the hiss. The stock cable, and other headphones I tried, are all black silent.

Even with this cable, I experience no the hiss problem outdoor, in a bus, or in an underground train. Only a small hiss I hear in the office. That's because I have 30+ WI-Fi spots around at home, onlt a few at the office, and nothing at th street or bus. At home, near my Wi-Fi router, the hiss depends on the router activity.

To prove that the cable feeds RF noise into the player, I've disassembled the cable connector, and soldered a ceramic capacitor (0.51nF, but the one that I have handy, actually) between one signal wire and the ground. I didn't put the second one, because the second signal wire is hard to reach. The hiss totally eliminated, in both channels! Only if I go close to my Wi-Fi router, and touch the cable with finger, I can hear low level hiss, and only in the channel without a capacitor.

It means, the headphone amplifier is sensitive to RF noises fed by some kinds of cables. From my experience, the main source are Wi-Fi access points (2.4GHz). By the way, I hear no interference from my mobile phone in different bands (tried GSM, UMTS, LTE).

I'm still going with the dx80 puts out to much power for sensitive iem's, as I just listened to my dt770 250 ohm And I hear no hiss at all.

I tested the hf5 on the fiio x5ii and dx90 and its pitch black so the iem's are not the problem.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #765 of 6,795
I'm still going with the dx80 puts out to much power for sensitive iem's, as I just listened to my dt770 250 ohm And I hear no hiss at all.

I tested the hf5 on the fiio x5ii and dx90 and its pitch black so the iem's are not the problem.

QFE. I have no issues with the Grado IEMs on 4 other devices, and 2 other IEMs do not have hiss with the DX80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back