iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #541 of 6,795
Quote:

we hear things differently here as i find dx80 to be the airy one and zx2 to be the natural one , but no worries

we both agree that dx80 is a great DAP with a stellar bang-for-buck value

btw , how is dx80 with mojo ? is it worth the 600 euros needed for the mojo ?

Quote:

Oh, I am not saying the DX80 is not airy but that is a major trait of the ZX2, IMO. Yes, we all hear things differently. To me, the DX80 is one of the most natural sounding sources I have heard and I value that. I don't feel the DX80 needs an external dac. . . . The Mojo sounds different and adds variety to music so you always have that choice. 

When you get a chance, would you mind giving us more details on how the addition of the Mojo alters the sound compared to the DX80 on its own?

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #542 of 6,795
Do any of you that have over 9000 songs feel the dx80 is sluggish in the all music browsing?

I have approximately 6,500 songs and I am seeing some minor sluggishness as compared to when it had fewer tracks.  However, in my case any sluggishness has been usable/acceptable.  The largest difference I've noticed is a 20 second delay on startup after the welcome screen.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #543 of 6,795

I have approximately 6,500 songs and I am seeing some minor sluggishness as compared to when it had fewer tracks.  However, in my case any sluggishness has been usable/acceptable.  The largest difference I've noticed is a 20 second delay on startup after the welcome screen.

I have around 3000 songs combined from two cards (128+64GB), and there is no real sluggishness during the song selection.

I also notice that there is a bit of a waiting time upon startup. After the splash screen, the main playback (transport) screen shows up, but it won't respond to anything for several seconds. It's not a big deal but it means that I prefer not to shut it down if I don't have to.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #544 of 6,795
I'm driving myself crazy with all the DAPs available and due to hit the streets soon. The DX80 looks really nice and from everything I've read it sounds fantastic, not to mention I can save $300-$500 and it's available NOW, LOL

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #547 of 6,795
It feels like the battery pack or some other part is smoothly gliding around inside when I physically turn the DX80 upside-down then back upright. It makes an audible noise as well. I haven't listened to the player yet, just removed it from the packaging and this was the first thing I noticed.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #548 of 6,795
  It feels like the battery pack or some other part is smoothly gliding around inside when I physically turn the DX80 upside-down then back upright. It makes an audible noise as well. I haven't listened to the player yet, just removed it from the packaging and this was the first thing I noticed.

It shouldn't do that. I would take it back for a return/exchange.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #549 of 6,795
Well that stinks... any other thoughts on if the DX80 is supposed to have a moving part inside (as mentioned in my previous 2 posts above) would be appreciated!

So I took my 64gb SD card out of my DX90 and put it directly into the new DX80 and it read without problems.

After a bit of listening I believe that, in comparision to the DX90, the DX80 has a better equalizer, deeper and overall more satisfying bass, but slightly more fatiguing to listen to. Of course this is listening without any burn-in, straight out of the box.
The differences are subtle IMO, but it's a nice change coming from listening to the DX90 for roughly 200 hours total over the past year.

Edit: Thought I should mention these impressions are based on using the Yamaha EPH-100's (awesome IEM's)

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #551 of 6,795
It might be that the battery is stuck-in with double-sided sponge-tape, and it's maybe had a knock during shipping that could have shaken it loose.

Only a guess.

In any event, there shouldn't be anything loose in the DAP, and, over the lifetime of the DAP, it wouldn't be a good thing to continually have something sliding around. Therefore, if it was me, I'd return it and get a replacement.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #552 of 6,795
  Does everyone else's DX80 have a moving part inside that you can feel / hear sliding around vertically? 

No part should be sliding around inside of the DX80.  The battery is in a pretty tight enclosure so even if loose it would slide very little so I am not sure what this might be. Please return it for an exchange. I apologize for any inconvenience.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #553 of 6,795
After researching the Fiio X7, the new Onkyo DAP and various other options I think I have finally chosen the DX80 as my DAP of choice to replace the X3ii. When does the DX80 hit UK retailers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back