iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #406 of 6,795
  @pannomimi

Ouch, that looks much worse than my semi-good looking 300x300 px cover arts on my music.

Not many of my copyright-free recordings have cover arts, but some do, and one has got that massive pixelation yours has, another one however is super crisp. I tried to find out the cover art resolution on my PC, but couldn't find the embedded cover arts.

You know I'll watch that too large covers for albums inhibit Player when selecting the album, it's too problematic, and so I use the minimum dimensions of 300x300

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #408 of 6,795
Good day!

I am really interested in buying an iBasso D14 then this DAP happened.

Anyone who can share their comments/feedbacks as to the difference (or similarities) of the two?

I'm planning to use the iBasso D14 as a DAC/Amp to my PC. I think I can use the DX80 as a DAC/Amp as well (plus it's a DAP!).

Hope someone can chime in.

Thank you!

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #409 of 6,795
Does anyone has informations if the DX80 can maybe have in future a Rockbox port like DX50 / DX90? Is the used SoC and hardware good for Rockbox, or what of kind specs needs to match for Rockbox?

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #410 of 6,795
  Good day!

I am really interested in buying an iBasso D14 then this DAP happened.

Anyone who can share their comments/feedbacks as to the difference (or similarities) of the two?

I'm planning to use the iBasso D14 as a DAC/Amp to my PC. I think I can use the DX80 as a DAC/Amp as well (plus it's a DAP!).

Hope someone can chime in.

Thank you!

The DX80 can be used as a dac and amp. For Apple computers no driver is required. For PC based computers there is a driver we will have for this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 14, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #411 of 6,795
Embedded artwork should show up in the correct resolution. There appears to be a problem with artwork in a folder. We will resolve this hopefully in the next FW.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #412 of 6,795

I'm planning to use the iBasso D14 as a DAC/Amp to my PC. 

+1 ...I'm also interested in knowing how the D14 compares to the Dx80. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #414 of 6,795
+1 ...I'm also interested in knowing how the D14 compares to the Dx80. :)

Both sound really fine. I think it comes down to BMW vs Audi.... I doubt that anybody can make a definitive "best" statement. You just need to listen and compare to really draw your own conclusions.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #415 of 6,795
I just realized the gapless is working flawless now. Playing Pink Floyd, The Wall Live, seamless. Also wonderful with my JH Pro 13's I just got back from being totally updated with new shells and to the current Freqphase. The 13's when new are bass light until they have at least 24 hours on them. No real foundation at all on them but it is finally slipping in there now. I thought I had lost the bass with the upgrade. They are also smoothing out. Seems they replaced more than just the shells and changed to the 3 holes. Maybe a few drivers needed replacement. 

Anyway, doing great with the DX80. A quiet background with no hiss and yes with the pause and play there is a slight thump but so low that it isn't much different from the sounds of others daps I have in one way or another when pausing and starting. I can always tell if a system is working right for me as I get a ringing if it isn't and a slight tinnitus that goes away but none with this setup. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #416 of 6,795
Both sound really fine. I think it comes down to BMW vs Audi.... I doubt that anybody can make a definitive "best" statement. You just need to listen and compare to really draw your own conclusions.

Very simple if you need a digital out,junior doesn't have one.and even if you don't need it id be inclined to think dx80 is quite a bit higher level dap with higher specs.Junior is thinner tho if you wanna just put something in your pocket..

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #417 of 6,795
Very simple if you need a digital out,junior doesn't have one.and even if you don't need it id be inclined to think dx80 is quite a bit higher level dap with higher specs.Junior is thinner tho if you wanna just put something in your pocket..

The Jr. was intended for a stand alone DAP and very portable, this it achieves very well. I have the Jr. and it sounds great as well as many other DAPs, to me they all have there Pros and Cons, and as you know it all comes down to personal taste.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #418 of 6,795
  No exaggeration. Every time I turn it on, I had to wait roughly 10 mins on the street for loading it. 
I mean, every day, whenever it's completely turned off, I had to wait 10 to 15 mins without music while it reload all the FLAC files to its firmware. Do you pay $699 for that? to wait 10 mins for loading files on the street every morning?

Why would I exaggerate? I used a 256GB SD card with an microSD to SD card adapter. 

On top of that, DX100's internal storage is terribly slow. It takes more than 20 mins to transfer few gigabytes of albums. 
It's hard to believe people using something like this in 2012..

Sound-quality-wise, it was clearly better than what other music players could offer. In firmware, UI, storage, battery efficiency, it was clearly much behind time. I could believe that if it was from 2007, not 2011. For $699, no way... 
It was listed as $900 or something when it came out. 
People should not defend faulty devices like DX100. Then why did iBasso guys discontinue DX100? 
The answer is simple. It's much behind time and defective. They refuse to offer upgrade to DX100 and R10's firmware and abandoned them. This is not very responsible action from a developer... 
What surprises me more is Paul from iBasso enticing new customers here without properly fixing DX100 and R10's firmware. 

I would try not using an adapter or a 256 micro sd card get a good quality high speed 128 or 256 full sized Samsung or Sandisk card to try it with. The biggest Micro SD card I know of is 200GB nobody reputable makes a 256GB micro SD.

Please take it to the DX100 thread. This is for the DX80. 

+1

While I'm interested in this DAP it is a bit disconcerting that ibasso released it with so many FW glitches. In the words of Yogi Berra, "it's like deja vu all over again" 
rolleyes.gif

The only real glitch (that has been fixed) is the player defaulting to high gain

Well the pixelation is quite severe as can be seen here

I did try increasing album art size up to 1000px but the results are still the same. It's not really a huge problem to me but it would be better if the album art looked sharper

Thats so bad its funny, all my album art that came over from iTunes (like 3 out of 10 albums) looks fine

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #419 of 6,795
I wanted another 128gb so I got a PNY. Very fast, much faster than the Sandisk, and less expensive. Then, since it is new and exFat, I loaded the FW to see if it would work. No. Then I formatted it to FAT and it worked fine. I dropped the .img onto the 128, no folder, and went to the advanced menu and hit upgrade. That is all I had to do. It upgraded the FW and is ready to go. I still do a factory reset just out of habit. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #420 of 6,795
Someone should try a newer SD XC card. My files can be read but there will be a loud pop during songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back