iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #392 of 6,795
Thanks for the help guys. I've tried most things I can think of, factory resets, manual scanning both slots, then just one at a time. I've just noticed though that one of my 128GB cards is exFat, the other Fat32, which I didn't realise. Don't know if this is what's causing the issue, and if they need to be formatted to the same standard. I'm going to format one to exFat and reload the music on it, see if that helps. Fingers crossed.

Out of habit I format everything to fat32. I have no problems. I would guess it is best to have both cards formatted the same. I can only reiterate that I am running two 128 cards and am just happily listening to any of the songs and no issues, which is nice. I haven't had one dap, camera or even a cell phone and some of these companies have billions, like Apple computers, that has not had issues. I use Macbook Pro computers and have for years and when a new one comes out there are most always some issues but they get resolved and then there is software like Adobe Lightroom with their countless programmers and there are always issues that have to get cleaned up and so it goes. A little patience is always helpful. Even my Toyota FJ Cruiser had a few issues and it had already been out for 5 years when I bought my 2012 new. They got it cleared up, both with some hardware and computer issues and everyone was having the same problem and this is Toyota with all their billions. It is life. Even when the wheel was invented I bet they had issues and continue to. lol 

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #393 of 6,795
Im having dropouts with line out, it doesnt fade the volume totally but it goes volume down in arbitrary way, then restores to normal volume...

Anyone having this issues via lineout?

All of this with new firmware 1.12...

I saw this with 1.1.0...I haven't tried lineout yet with 1.1.2.

EDIT:  Just tried with 1.1.2...things seem to be working fine now.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #394 of 6,795
There was a issue with the beta v.1.1.0 firmware whereas the gain control would affect the line-out but since updating to v.1.1.2 my line-out has worked flawlessly. v.1.1.2 has eliminated interactions between the gain settings and the line-out.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #395 of 6,795
All player this company has its glitches, dx 100 Islands have to restart the change of the micro sd card or he starts to blunt!

??????

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #396 of 6,795
I have just about reached my limit! I have done everything that everyone has suggested. Reformated to FAT32. Cleared all data. Held power and volume button to bring up the menu. Selected update from sd card and I get this every time (see below). Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #397 of 6,795
Hi, the v1.1.2 firmware came out on iBasso's website just when I received my DX80. What a nice timing! I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the sound. Very good sound stage, deeper and more textured  bass and meatier mids as compared to the DX90. Anyway, what album art size do I have to use for the DX80? I have mine all at 500px but it looks super pixelated on the now playing screen. I suspect the player is using the small thumbnails for the now playing album art Anyone else has this problem? I have already tried factory resetting and deleting the files created on the sd card and then rescanning.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #398 of 6,795
  I do agree iBasso should have kept the effort up in getting the UI really polished by releasing more FW updates. It wasn't 900, but 829$, and I got the second batch price of 765$, but you are right, whatever the exact price, the device should have been better finished. The hardware was fully satisfactory, but the software was a bit of a disappointment.
I like the SQ so much I find workarounds to address the little quirks, having on the internal memory only music I will always want to listen to and that I hardly ever change, my hardcore favourites, and use the µSD's for variables; I have instant start-up time as I never turn it off fully, only "deep" stand-by: volume down fully, then steps as to turn it off fully, but instead of validating total shut-down, turn just the screen off. & I have a total of three chargers, one in my back-pack, one at home, one at work.

That the DX80 gets released without being fully stable doesn't help me keep my confidence in iBasso. To be honest I'm more curious in Onkyo's upcoming DAP than this new DX80, but I have alas the feeling it won't match the power output of the DX100 either.

Exactly.. when I was using DX100, I had to keep an additional battery pack in my pocket all the time. I realized it's more of hassle than convenience. 
Its 10 minute loading time on start-up every morning made me realize it's better to use a worse sounding mp3 player in that waiting time than not listening to anything... 
I used it while commuting to my workplaces. 

DX80's UI seems more polished but I'm not entirely convinced because someone said it has 5 minute loading time for one sd card. 
Its battery life seems to be improved but I hope its sound quality is on par with DX100. I sent several e-mails to ibasso guys to request to fix DX100 and R10's firmware and in one of their answers they said they will try. I heard nothing back ever since... 
The only iBasso guy on the thread now is Paul who is promoting another iBasso device which apparently has other firmware issues and sd card scanning time issue. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #399 of 6,795
Anyway, what album art size do I have to use for the DX80? I have mine all at 500px but it looks super pixelated on the now playing screen.

The screen has a resolution of 480x800, so I guess 480x480. 
wink.gif

I have my music library stored tagged with 300x300 (I know, a bit small, but I don't think I'm going to redo all of it), and they seem of course a bit pixelated. Then again, I have a little copyright-free music for workout and some listening "in-between", and some of the tracks have got album cover arts that are bigger, hence they look crisp.
I'm going to test with some 500x500 px files and see if I get the same issues as you.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #400 of 6,795
I get the same pixelated image problem too.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #402 of 6,795

The screen has a resolution of 480x800, so I guess 480x480. 
wink.gif

I have my music library stored tagged with 300x300 (I know, a bit small, but I don't think I'm going to redo all of it), and they seem of course a bit pixelated. Then again, I have a little copyright-free music for workout and some listening "in-between", and some of the tracks have got album cover arts that are bigger, hence they look crisp.
I'm going to test with some 500x500 px files and see if I get the same issues as you.

Well the pixelation is quite severe as can be seen here

I did try increasing album art size up to 1000px but the results are still the same. It's not really a huge problem to me but it would be better if the album art looked sharper

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #403 of 6,795
@pannomimi

Ouch, that looks much worse than my semi-good looking 300x300 px cover arts on my music.

Not many of my copyright-free recordings have cover arts, but some do, and one has got that massive pixelation yours has, another one however is super crisp. I tried to find out the cover art resolution on my PC, but couldn't find the embedded cover arts.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #404 of 6,795
Maybe I will try to use embedded the album art. All my music uses cover.jpg in the same folder for album art.

Update
Embedding the album art did the trick. Here's the display with embedded album art.

So much better! I think I will just wait for iBasso to throw out a fix for this. Too many songs and albums to embed. Most importantly it still sounds good!

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #405 of 6,795
Well, that explains why my (embedded) 300x300 px cover arts look better than your 500x500 px cover arts in the folder. 
blink.gif

After having copied my CDs in Foobar 2k, I have always just downloaded the 300x300 px cover arts (I made a custom search bookmark just for that in my web browser), selected all tracks and  went by "tagging -> attach pictures" so that they were embedded.

But then again, your 500x500 px and the higher resolving arts of some of the copyright-free music is *so much crisper* than my louse 300x300 px covers. When I re-imported my whole library about 2 years ago (man, that was a lot of work and took some days) and created a new folder structure, I didn't know that I might want a higher cover art resolution. My 300x300 px arts really don't do the good screen of the DX80 any justice.
By the way, I am really satisfied with the DX80's screen's quality - very crisp, quite good resolution (more than is actually needed for a DAP) and true colours. I wasn't aware of how pixelated the 320x240 screen of the DX90 was until I directly compared it to the DX80 (never used the DX90 at the same time as my smartphone, so the direct contrast wasn't that striking).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back