iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #6,092 of 6,795
I'm considering the DX80 & X5 III.  Is the DX80 sound output quality comparable to or better than PoweAmp Alpha 704?  I really like PA & it would require a very high audio quality, kickass product to convince me to leave it.  

I really like the dual mSD ports & price of the DX80.  For the X5 III, I like that it runs on Android & offers player flexibility.   

At the moment, I'd say the lack of player options is holding me back from the DX80, but I'm very interested to read read your comparisons / impressions.  I know there are a lot of comments in this thread about audio impressions, but my search results didn't produce specific comparisons to PA.   

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #6,095 of 6,795

Leaving them in exFAT is just fine. FAT32 shouldn't cause any problems either as some other people are using their DX80 with that format as well.

I'm using exFAT (1x 128 GB SanDisk Ultra micro SD, 1x 200 GB SanDisk Ultra micro SD) and haven't encountered any issues with that so far.

Hey how's the SanDisk Ultra working out for you? I was thinking if I should get the extreme/extreme pro or something instead (apparently faster), but I like the 200GB aspect of the ultra.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #6,096 of 6,795

Leaving them in exFAT is just fine. FAT32 shouldn't cause any problems either as some other people are using their DX80 with that format as well.

I'm using exFAT (1x 128 GB SanDisk Ultra micro SD, 1x 200 GB SanDisk Ultra micro SD) and haven't encountered any issues with that so far.

Hey how's the SanDisk Ultra working out for you? I was thinking if I should get the extreme/extreme pro or something instead (apparently faster), but I like the 200GB aspect of the ultra.

It works perfectly fine - no matter what format I used with the DX80 (redbook format FLACs, Hi-Res, MP3s or DSD).

You might probably want to wait for the 256 GB version that should be released soon I think, though.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #6,097 of 6,795

It works perfectly fine - no matter what format I used with the DX80 (redbook format FLACs, Hi-Res, MP3s or DSD).

You might probably want to wait for the 256 GB version that should be released soon I think, though.

Yea but that's gonna be >$100 at least right? Also, I'm now thinking about DX50 (I still haven't purchased the dx80 yet, almost). As I will be using this primarily as a transport with my DAC.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #6,098 of 6,795

Yea but that's gonna be >$100 at least right? Also, I'm now thinking about DX50 (I still haven't purchased the dx80 yet, almost). As I will be using this primarily as a transport with my DAC.

I guess so, given the initial release price of the 200 GB SanDisk Micro SD card.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,099 of 6,795
I got the 256gb in Samsung and it works great. Yes, they are expensive right now but it sure holds a lot of music. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #6,100 of 6,795
  I'm considering the DX80 & X5 III.  Is the DX80 sound output quality comparable to or better than PoweAmp Alpha 704?  I really like PA & it would require a very high audio quality, kickass product to convince me to leave it.  

I really like the dual mSD ports & price of the DX80.  For the X5 III, I like that it runs on Android & offers player flexibility.   

At the moment, I'd say the lack of player options is holding me back from the DX80, but I'm very interested to read read your comparisons / impressions.  I know there are a lot of comments in this thread about audio impressions, but my search results didn't produce specific comparisons to PA.   

So you're running an android phone with Poweramp.  I do not follow how a proper comparison can be created when PA is software and whatever DAC is on your phone (unless you're routing it through an amp/ amp/dac).

Am i missing something?  I think i get the rest.  You'll be hard pressed to get the intuitive nature of the PA GUI on the DX but the DX can do most of the main features.  The feature set on PA is way more expansive currently.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #6,101 of 6,795
I have a couple of Samsung's 125's and they work great, I just put them in as they came from the factory and they worked fine first time.
Regarding Poweramp which I also have on my Android phone, plenty bass and treble however it is not a natural sound.
If you come from Poweramp to the DX80 expecting great things instantly I think you will be dissapointed but if you give the DX80 a few days of listening without meanwhile going back to Poweramp  your ears will get accustomed and you will get what the DX80 is all about.
I think its a simillar thing to using the EQ, at first I had to have it mostly turned on however now I rarely use it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #6,102 of 6,795

There might very well be absolutely no point in getting a faster card. Most people (myself included once) don't consider that the device's read speed should also be considered. If the device can't read as fast as what the card is capable of, you'll end up spending cash for something you won't benefit from.

Perhaps @Paul - iBasso could give some insight as to what the read capability of the DX80 is.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #6,103 of 6,795
  There might very well be absolutely no point in getting a faster card. Most people (myself included once) don't consider that the device's read speed should also be considered. If the device can't read as fast as what the card is capable of, you'll end up spending cash for something you won't benefit from.

Perhaps @Paul - iBasso could give some insight as to what the read capability of the DX80 is.

Yea I had a feeling you'd say that. We may need to address that once 1TB cards are a thing (HEY, I can dream!). So i pulled the trigger on a dx80...after LOTS of searching and considering (I like and trust optical as a digital audio cable the best (yea it's a personal issue) and the ones that do Tidal (like AK) are just too damned expensive). And a 200GB sandisk ultra (as well as a cheap 4GB card for upgrading).

It's been a long while since I've used sdcards, and I gotta say the flexibility of knowing that even 5 years down the road your device will be relevant since you can just upgrade the sdcard to a higher amount is SO nice. (plus, unlike phones, hopefully, there is a much less need to upgrade your audio player). 

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #6,105 of 6,795
Hi everyone, just got my dx80

Can anyone guide me on how to use its dac function with my pc? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back