iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #5,701 of 6,795
Yes, it has even got two - electrical (COAX) and optical (TOSLINK).
but i heard it has some issues?

Just like with about every product, there will be users who experience issues and some who don't. I am using the DX80 frequently and haven't had any problems with it so far.

Do you know the SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip and Clip Plus? There were many reports about quality issues and dying devices. Is it probably due to the way the people treat their stuff? Probably. At least there were also many users, actually the majority, who haven't had any issues with it, including me and many people from another audio community.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #5,702 of 6,795
Gents, I just want to hear what volume and gain settings you guys are using, please. 

On my review unit I have to crank it to 90-100 on my M6 Pros, and around 100-115 for my M40X (both on low gain). I dunno, it just seems unusually high for such relatively low impedance headphones. I'm planning on getting the Pinnacle P1, and just concerned about whether or not it would have enough volume for 50 ohms on low gain. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #5,703 of 6,795
  Gents, I just want to hear what volume and gain settings you guys are using, please. 

On my review unit I have to crank it to 90-100 on my M6 Pros, and around 100-115 for my M40X (both on low gain). I dunno, it just seems unusually high for such relatively low impedance headphones. I'm planning on getting the Pinnacle P1, and just concerned about whether or not it would have enough volume for 50 ohms on low gain. 

It depends upon the sensitivity of the phones used. I use it at those setting on high gain depending upon what I am using to listen with. Too many variables for anything concrete from your ears to the phones used. I have some IEM's that I use from 90-100 on high gain. At 115 or 120 that isn't pushing the DX80. Impedance is only part of the picture. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #5,704 of 6,795

It depends upon the sensitivity of the phones used. I use it at those setting on high gain depending upon what I am using to listen with. Too many variables for anything concrete from your ears to the phones used. I have some IEM's that I use from 90-100 on high gain. At 115 or 120 that isn't pushing the DX80. Impedance is only part of the picture. 

thanks for the reply.

Sure, I get that. It just *seems* strange that 16-ohm IEMs would need 100/150 volume. I only bring this up because, as I understand it, it's better to use LG rather than HG. So would there still be sufficient volume for 50-ohm IEMs on LG?

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #5,705 of 6,795
  thanks for the reply.

Sure, I get that. It just *seems* strange that 16-ohm IEMs would need 100/150 volume. I only bring this up because, as I understand it, it's better to use LG rather than HG. So would there still be sufficient volume for 50-ohm IEMs on LG?

It is not "better" to use low or high gain. It only depends on the headphone. If go to higher gain you'll just get less play on the volume dial, that's all. Some headphone amps go into zero feedback in high gain, but that doesn't make it "better", it's just different. You still have a lot of volume left to go, an external amp won't help much at all with headphones that aren't taking that much juice.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #5,707 of 6,795
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #5,710 of 6,795
It's supposed to be about the DX80...impressions, reviews, and discussions. You can find the answers to firmware questions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786815/ibasso-dx80-bug-thread-post-any-firmware-bugs-issues-here

Steve from NYC

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #5,711 of 6,795
[Mod Comment]

I just had so spend almost half an hour of my own time cleaning this up.

1. There is no place on the forum for personal attacks - ever.
  2. If you feel a post or poster is breaching the rules - flag the post, do not respond.  otherwise we are then cleaning up your posts as well as theirs.
  3. If someone asks a question and has not put the research in - you do not have to answer. Let someone else - especially if all you will do is become abusive yourself.
  4. If you feel someone is becoming annoying in the threads - simply block them.  That way you don't have to read their posts, and the world will be a more serene place.

Finally - can I suggest to all posters to first TRY to find your answers by using the forums search functions. If you need more help after that, then definitely ask.

Thanks 

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #5,712 of 6,795
COAX and TOSLINK

but i heard it has some issues?

I've used the coax for some time with an external DAC and never had any issues.
I use the DX80 daily and i have no (major) issues. Very happy with it. Love the sound!

Only minor quirks: once or twice per hour the line-out has a micro-stutter and occasionally (once a week or something like that) it starts the next song in the middle of the song. 
Using FW 1.1.4

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #5,713 of 6,795
I have a chance to purchase either an iBasso DX80 or Astell & Kern Jr. iBasso DX80 is a tad more dollar wise than the Jr. SQ wise i'd like to hear some observations from the informative people on this forum, i'm coming from as iBasso DX50.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,714 of 6,795
  I have a chance to purchase either an iBasso DX80 or Astell & Kern Jr. iBasso DX80 is a tad more dollar wise than the Jr. SQ wise i'd like to hear some observations from the informative people on this forum, i'm coming from as iBasso DX50.

The AK uses a Wolfson DAC while the DX80 is dual Cirrus Logic DACs. Wolfson are known for being a little rolled off and warm, while I think the Cirrus chips are close to neutral, sparkly, and detailed. I prefer the sound of the Cirrus chips.

The AK Jr has stuff like bluetooth and built in storage that appeal to some.

Lastly is the amp secion. I don't know if the AK Jr can power harder to drive headphones, but my PM3 is driven incredibly well by the DX80.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #5,715 of 6,795
so should i buy ak jr or cowon plenue d?

The Cowon...to my ears....sucked. I've tried the ak jr. and own the DX80. I think to my ears the DX80 is more neutral sounding than the Jr. was. Both sound great...not fantastic...but great.

Steve from NYC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back