iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 13, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #347 of 6,795
The file on the card shows up as an img.file but the update fw line does not show up in the advanced settings menu. I am putting the card in the # 2 sd slot. I don't what else to try?
Thanks for any help.

I'm experiencing the same issue. Got hold of a 32gb card to use but despite the img file being on it I'm not getting an update FW option in advanced settings. It's all rather frustrating right now.

Edit: Finally got it working after many attempts. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #348 of 6,795
I am looking for a good player, so I was already confused when i considered FIIO and Sony 25, but then I came across ibasso :p... Anyone any experience with these? How do they compare? l am considering the DX80 obviously, but also fiio 5v2 of even the 3v2 I wonder if that makes that big a difference. Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated, thanks! 

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #351 of 6,795
I got the firmware installed on my 128 GB card. I needed to format it to FAT32 and after that it recognized the card. After installing the firmware, it now reads my cards and scans it perfectly without crashing.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #353 of 6,795
I just tried to do the update on my 64GB card and it failed. Tried every step mentioned above and still could not get it to recognize. I have the file in the root menu, just does not like the card. Can play music from once it is scanned, just not taking the update. Is there a dance or chant I need to do to make this work? Come on, shouldn't be this difficult...

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #354 of 6,795
I just tried to do the update on my 64GB card and it failed. Tried every step mentioned above and still could not get it to recognize. I have the file in the root menu, just does not like the card. Can play music from once it is scanned, just not taking the update. Is there a dance or chant I need to do to make this work? Come on, shouldn't be this difficult...

Did you try the right format your memory card and then install a fresh update!

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #355 of 6,795
The card is formatted as FAT32. It is a fresh update. I just downloaded it. How much more fresh can it get? None more fresh.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #356 of 6,795
The card is formatted as FAT32. It is a fresh update. I just downloaded it. How much more fresh can it get? None more fresh.

Rather than transfer the update image file not see it then try again. Try little things like turning the player off/on, remove the card and reinsert it after you transfer the image file, see if you can get it to pop up in the advanced settings menu. if that fails you can boot into recovery by holding the volume up button and power button together on boot and select to install the firmware from micro sd card. I honestly had no issues doing the firmware update, it was seen straight away in advanced settings. 

This post may help from Hiflight: http://www.head-fi.org/t/786443/ibasso-dx80-impressions-and-reviews-and-discussion/315#post_12072891

I personally did not need all those steps to update though.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #358 of 6,795
Well, after some chanting, not be repeated here, I went back and erased the update file and downloaded it again, went back through the update steps and it worked. Rescanning my card and now playing. All sins seem to be forgiven thus far. I really think it was the chanting that got it to work though...

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #359 of 6,795
Keep in mind guys, you need to first extract the firmware image file from the downloaded folder.

It needs to be extracted with something like WinZip because its an .rar file.

The firmware file you need looks like this...

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #360 of 6,795

Rather than transfer the update image file not see it then try again. Try little things like turning the player off/on, remove the card and reinsert it after you transfer the image file, see if you can get it to pop up in the advanced settings menu. if that fails you can boot into recovery by holding the volume up button and power button together on boot and select to install the firmware from micro sd card. I honestly had no issues doing the firmware update, it was seen straight away in advanced settings. 

This post may help from Hiflight: http://www.head-fi.org/t/786443/ibasso-dx80-impressions-and-reviews-and-discussion/315#post_12072891

I personally did not need all those steps to update though.

I second that.  Update went smoothly, literally look 5 minutes all together (using 8GB Kingston uSD, FAT32 formatted by default; picked up a bunch of these on Amazon for $3.95 each, shipped free).

I think the key here is to run a factory reset with a card inside to wipe out anything stored in cache (OS is Android based, I assume).  Then, just remove and insert card back in.

Perhaps in the future iBasso can make this fw update procedure a little more manual and less "automated" by allowing to browse to where *.img file is located to select it.  If you don't see the file, it will give you a clue that it either got corrupted during copying or unzipping, or your flash card format is not good, or the old image of the flash card is still cached thus file is not visible, etc.

New fw looks and feels solid to me, only had a hiccup once during 2hr use of DX80 last night.  Was fast-forwarding FLAC file and it got stuck in the middle (assuming a memory buffering issue that cause a crash).  Had to hold power button for 10-15 seconds until it reset and everything was back to normal afterwards.  Touch screen response is the same as with initial fw 1.0 release, and I find it rather good.  Not as fast as what I'm used to with my Galaxy phones, not the same speed or smoothness, but it's fast enough for DAP application and file scrolling.

As I mentioned before, I absolutely love the menu access by swiping left/right to get to File and Setup options.  My only gripe here is that sometime when you are going through your nested file folders, it takes more steps to get back to Now Playing screen.  iBasso, PLEASE, implement a hardware shortcut to get back to Now Playing screen - I propose to hold hardware Play button for a few seconds like a "Home" Android button to get back to the main Now Playing screen.

Also, I really enjoy A&K style drop down notification bar with all the quick settings.  VERY helpful, especially when toggling gain or USB setting.  Gapless playback is flawless.  Probably among the best I heard from any DAP.  I personally don't care much about gapless and only use one particular album for testing, but had to verify it for confirmation.

I will elaborate more on sound quality later, still listening (working on multiple reviews), but as far as I can hear now testing within $350 "club", sound quality compares as:

DX80 = N5 > X5ii > PAW 5000

Really enjoying this DAP now.  Didn't know what to expect since this is my first iBasso product and heard too many fw nightmare stories, but I'm rather pleasantly surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back