iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Mar 3, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,061 of 6,795

I have tried multiple times holding the button in.  I even tried to several times to hold it in for 10 seconds to do a hard reset...nothing.  Tried again after charging overnight.  Still nothing.  I'm going to buy another one and see what happens.  Not really sure what I can do from here aside from returning it.

Please try the batch tool as mentioned above. The instructions for how to use it are in the download. Out of 1000's of DX80's we have had 2 that were DOA so it is a very rare occurrence

Paul, when can we expect the new FW update? Thx

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,062 of 6,795
Ok. Dx90 sound changed a lot btw different fws ☺

When the opinions about how different firmwares sound contradict each other, as it usually happens, I tend to believe firmware developers that affirm that the sound processing is untouched.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3,063 of 6,795

Did you try the Batch Tool on the first page? If the CPU or screen are bad then of course it won't work but if some other problem with the software, the BT would clear it up as it wipes the internal memory and does a clean install of the FW you load. I don't recall reading of another DOA but like anything, but I would assume it has happened. 

I did not unfortunately.  I had already shipped it out for a new one by the time I knew you could do this.  Oh well.  Hopefully the 2nd one will work flawlessly.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,066 of 6,795
  which one to buy? dx90 or dx80 ? both are available for same price on amazon

dx90 is more clinical than dx80 but compromising on UI. UI on dx80 is slick.
If u dont care abt UI, dx90 else dx80

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,067 of 6,795
I agree, DX90 is a little more resolving, has an edge in bite, but can come across a more processed kind of sound and 'slightly' more vibrant or sharp. DX80 is a bit thicker, meatier in the mid+range rather than push out detail like a knife edge, it keeps details thick right across the mids, for example vocals sound bigger boned. I have spent several days recently switching the Tralucent hybrids between both players.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #3,068 of 6,795
I agree, DX90 is a little more resolving, has an edge in bite, but can come across a more processed kind of sound and 'slightly' more vibrant or sharp. DX80 is a bit thicker, meatier in the mid+range rather than push out detail like a knife edge, it keeps details thick right across the mids, for example vocals sound bigger boned. I have spent several days recently switching the Tralucent hybrids between both players.

haha since both dap's sq is good, UI is the criteria and the winner is dx80
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #3,070 of 6,795
haha since both dap's sq is good, UI is the criteria and the winner is dx80 :tongue_smile:

I like DX80 UI more, the bigger screen real estate (or longer) is much better for scrolling, shows more albums at anytime, the side bar for fast scrolling is easier to use.

I don't use many of the options, just folder browsing and a lot of scrolling/back button picking tracks/albums. All the settings, gain, dac filter etc are set and forget for me, no EQ etc. I tend to use the on screen play/pause/forward/back more on DX80.

I find DX80 takes a bit longer to charge though then the previous units, but DX80 also has better battery life.

I like the shape of DX80 more, it looks more modern. But totally understand why people would choose DX90 casing for holding with one hand.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #3,072 of 6,795
  @H20Fidelity how do you like your A83's with the DX80?

I can answer for him hehe. The synergy is good. DX80 provides the warmth that A83 lacks while retaining its original technical performance. Awesome rig!
Regarding your iems and the synergy with the dx80, only the dunus can make the cut in my opinion

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,073 of 6,795
Is there anyone out there using DX80 with the Senns HD 800? If so, any special amplification needed?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #3,074 of 6,795
Just got it in my hands, just played with ui, I find it very responsive. Design is also a step up from dx90, only thing I preferred dx90 physycal buttons for play, ffw , ffr, I had the impression they were more solid and sturdier.
Now go home.tonite first listening :blush:

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #3,075 of 6,795
Is there anyone out there using DX80 with the Senns HD 800?

Yes, me.

If so, any special amplification needed?

No, but I am also someone who is known for listening at quite low volume levels. Still, the DX80 has a lot of power.
And also in terms of dynamics/"synergy", I never felt the need for further amplification with the DX80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back