iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,757 of 6,795
  Thank you for that insight. Personally, I prefer DX80 more because of the dual memory slots, and design :, and I still prefer more natural sounding. At first, I thought DX80 would make A83 more sibilant but if that's the case, then DX80 would be for me.. Thank you so much.. 

Neither player should make A83 sound anymore sibilant.

DX80 is a pleasant player to use from touchscreen and functionality perspective, more albums showing per screen space, larger album art, higher resolution display, the form factor sits nicer in your hand.

Bugs aside when you consider the new swiping interface (the interface I feel receives nowhere near enough praise right now) the user experience is very friendly and fluent imo, much higher than other players on the market with implemented scroll wheels or physical buttons only on their players. Touch screen is the way of future audiophile players IMO, and I think companies who don't start adapting this into future designs may (slowly) get left behind. 

iBasso were onto this very early with their previous DX50 and DX90 units (and even DX100)

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #1,758 of 6,795
Another day with the dx80 . My SanDisk 128's arrived so I filled em up and stuck em in , all good even left them in Exfat format to see if I could find some pops and clicks but nothing
Very impressed with the clarity and power this little unit pushes out
UI is great , being new I have been pushing all the buttons and it never feels like I am too far from where I want to be
Should have a very bling ViaBlue toslink/mini cable arriving soon , I can try out the dx80 as a transport
BTW does everyone's serial number end in 100 ?

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,759 of 6,795
We are working on this. We just tested 10 micro cards and 2 worked and 8 didn't so something is happening and we will figure it out.

Thanks Paul. Could you tell us which ones worked? I use sandisk almost exclusively but have tried Sony and micro also.

My preference would be to use sandisk dual usb/micro usb but these don't work either. What's the situation with usb sticks as opposed to cards?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,762 of 6,795
Thanks Paul. Could you tell us which ones worked? I use sandisk almost exclusively but have tried Sony and micro also.

My preference would be to use sandisk dual usb/micro usb but these don't work either. What's the situation with usb sticks as opposed to cards?

Our guy didn't write down which cards it was. I can ask him to do the test again but we are doing a FW fix for this so it should be soon that the USB stick/reader will work fine.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,763 of 6,795
are there any DX80 + mojo users ? how is the sound on this combo ?

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,764 of 6,795
In my opinion DX90 will still have a slight edge in detail at the cost of sounding a little less natural or musical compared to DX80. Either choices will be a definite upgrade from your FiiO X1 and you won't go wrong with either, A83 pairs well with both.

Need to keep in mind DX80's newer user interface, larger screen and dual card slots are major positives in making your choice. If you're just about sound then I still personally feel DX90 is ahead, maybe 10% more.

I agree that the DX90 has the slight edge in detail over the DX80 but only a marginal amount and I think a big part of that is in how the detail is delivered. The DX80 feels like YOU have to work a bit harder to hear\notice the minute detail whereas the DX90 seems to deliver it more effortlessly.In comparison to the DX100, I think the DX90 is closer in detail retrieval but slightly less musical and spacious as the DX80

H20Fidelity, you're right about the newer interface, larger screen and dual SD.

All of this coupled with iBasso commitment to service, their ongoing learning curve and implementation of what the customer wants makes me VERY excited about the DX200

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,766 of 6,795
Ok...I've got a question that may sound elementary to most of you, but this is treading on new ground for me.  When I listen to my DX80, I always use my Westone W2 Earphones.  My volume setting will vary between 80-90, depending on the recording that I'm listening to.  Last night I decided, for the first time, to try my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  I was hearing things I was missing with my westones, but in order to get the same amount of volume, I had to increase the iBasso up to 100.  Actually, I could have gone a little bit higher than that.  So, my question is this: do I need to add some kind of amplifier, such as the FiiO E12 or the iBasso P5 when using my M50 headphones?  If so, can you recommend a good, affordable amp to get, as well as any extra accessories (cables, etc)?  Thanks!  
beyersmile.png

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,767 of 6,795
  Ok...I've got a question that may sound elementary to most of you, but this is treading on new ground for me.  When I listen to my DX80, I always use my Westone W2 Earphones.  My volume setting will vary between 80-90, depending on the recording that I'm listening to.  Last night I decided, for the first time, to try my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  I was hearing things I was missing with my westones, but in order to get the same amount of volume, I had to increase the iBasso up to 100.  Actually, I could have gone a little bit higher than that.  So, my question is this: do I need to add some kind of amplifier, such as the FiiO E12 or the iBasso P5 when using my M50 headphones?  If so, can you recommend a good, affordable amp to get, as well as any extra accessories (cables, etc)?  Thanks!  
beyersmile.png

The general feeling I get from this forum is that the DX80 does not need amplification - vol of around 100 is fine (I use this setting for my BW P7's). Having said that I am currently using a Fiio E12
amp (great amp for around £100) and get a real sense of effortless power and instrument separation. I'm probably on my own in this!

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,768 of 6,795
Hello,
i have the same kind of bugs with firmware 1.1.4, a Samsung 64Go sdxc card fat 32. There's about 62Go of flac 16/48 and 24/96. Problems to scan some folders on the card and  and sometimes crash with only solution to reboot by pressing power button. If you find any solution thanx to share it, perhaps format ex-fat? It's really a pity that the software sucks, and I hope it will be solved in next updates... 
P.S: excuse my poor english, I'm a french guy :wink:

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,769 of 6,795
beyersmile.png

You have plenty more volume on the Dx80 that you haven't used. Some of my phones I go to 120 and that doesn't affect sound quality, it just means the headphones need more power and has nothing to do with needing an external amplifier. The P5 is excellent and competes with my desktop amp so what you get is a portable with desktop performance and the ability to change out op amps and buffers. 

Hello,
i have the same kind of bugs with firmware 1.1.4, a Samsung 64Go sdxc card fat 32. There's about 62Go of flac 16/48 and 24/96. Problems to scan some folders on the card and  and sometimes crash with only solution to reboot by pressing power button. If you find any solution thanx to share it, perhaps format ex-fat? It's really a pity that the software sucks, and I hope it will be solved in next updates... 
P.S: excuse my poor english, I'm a french guy :wink:

I have had no issue with any of my 20 micro cards from 8gb to 200gb that are formatted in FAT32 or exFat. I have no issues with the software reading them but did have a few tag issues that I dealt with. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,770 of 6,795
are there any DX80 + mojo users ? how is the sound on this combo ?

I have dx80 to mojo, but decided to return the dx80 soon due to many many many FW issues, dx90 is better detailed yet not as musical, however mojo is bliss musically (slight warmth), but it nearby doesn't matter what you feed mojo, it's gonna sound good.

This impression comes from using se846, which to me is an inferior iem.

I just don't like. It, but dx80 makes poping and loud uncomfortable noises when using fat 32 32gb Samsung card changing songs.
Quite annoying and painful, dx90 is overall superior,

Maybe the dx200 will be good, unless ibasso poops it out with unfinished FW problems, which has been apparent in nearly all of the previous DAPs releases by ibasso...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back