iBasso DX50 Review
May 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #17 of 81
Cheers! thanks for the review. Just started looking into upgrading my personal gear now that I got my first proper IEM (ATH-IM02).
I was eyeballing this player and the Fiio X3 and X5. Any comparisons to the Fiio line up?  
The Fiios caught my eye cause I could run them as USB dacs. 
the X3 uses the same Woflsam chip I belive. The X5 run some dual core chip I have not heard of before. 

May 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #18 of 81
  which version of firmware did you use for the review?

the latest one at present, 1.28.  i found it utterly problem free.

Cheers! thanks for the review. Just started looking into upgrading my personal gear now that I got my first proper IEM (ATH-IM02).
I was eyeballing this player and the Fiio X3 and X5. Any comparisons to the Fiio line up?  
The Fiios caught my eye cause I could run them as USB dacs. 
the X3 uses the same Woflsam chip I belive. The X5 run some dual core chip I have not heard of before. 

the x3 i can, here was my thoughts in full on it http://www.head-fi.org/t/690705/fiio-x3-review  is super short, i found the DX50 warmer, smoother, more lush.  the x3 was still a bit warm rather like the DX50 but less so.  in comparison it was coarser, grainier and the UI was no where near as good as the DX50 but the plus is its cheaper and you can use as DAC/amp for your computer so that really boosts its value proposition.  of the two id have to give it to the DX50 as being the "better" sounding but for my money if i had none of the stuff i do i would take the X3 because that DAC/amp functionality is a huge bonus in my opinion.  X5 ive not heard so cant say.

May 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 81
Rockbox ended the firmware debate for me. I agree, with most of the standard firmwares, the sound tends to be towards the warm/lush side, but I think Rockbox is pretty close to being dead neutral on the DX50. My appreciation for the unit went up about 10 fold after hearing how it sounded in Rockbox mode. If anything, it can tend to be bright, but the handy 4khz/8khz bands on the EQ rectify a lot of that.

May 29, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 81
  Brilliant review. This is making me think whether to actually get a decent player. My wallet </3.

Actually, the DX50 is quite cheap. At least in comparative terms to media players nowadays. The DX100 was too much for me and I didn't want to be carrying around a player that was nearly $1000, the DX50 I can use a lot more liberally. It can definitely take a beating, day in and day out.

May 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 81
Great review Mark.

How does it handle gapless playback?

I know, I ask this in all the new daps coming out threads but it truly is a must for me.  I was just reading the DX50 Rockbox thread and some stated gapless playback is a little glitchy with DX50 firmware.  The X3 is off my list and I'm about to go with the DX50 but want to confirm.

Thanks!

May 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 81
Excellent review,it is indeed very smooth,I just picked one up today from a fellow headfier for half the rrp and bug free,on initial thought I think the X3 with new firmware is more aggressive in your face with better detail and separation and a better bass.DX50 didnt match well with my shure se215,but as soon as I switched to T-Peos 100j with medium gain the player opened up,so starting to really enjoy it,I think they could revamp the UI,it just looks a bit basic but the touch screen is quick and resposive OTG is great and will come in handy,X3 missing this crucial feature,so far so good!!

May 30, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #25 of 81
I like the look (and price) of this DAP. It's just a pity they couldn't squeeze a bit more on-board memory rather than the rather small 8gb. A 128gb microSD will add an additional £90 onto the cost but I guess the USB OTG is a nice touch (add a 64gb USB thumb drive for around £14) and could take your capacity up to around the 195gb mark (if you don't mind a flappy pen drive hanging off your player!).

The DX90 though! That's got some serious internal architecture! :xf_eek:)

May 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #26 of 81
  Great review Mark.

How does it handle gapless playback?

I know, I ask this in all the new daps coming out threads but it truly is a must for me.  I was just reading the DX50 Rockbox thread and some stated gapless playback is a little glitchy with DX50 firmware.  The X3 is off my list and I'm about to go with the DX50 but want to confirm.

Thanks!

gapless, well i never ever listen to albums from start to finish, always on shuffle for me.  so in all honestly i dont know but what i did notice it did was when you track skip (which i do lots) its gently fades in the next song over a fraction of a second.

actually since i still have it sitting here give me a min and ill fire it up and check, if i can find me an album that is continuous between tracks.

May 30, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 81
okay im back.  so in the menu there is the option to turn on or off gapless playback.  it had been set to off which is why i was getting the short fade in's, when i turned it off tracks instantly and seamlessly rolled into one another.

so yes, with the stock firmware gapless playback works perfectly. if you Rockbox it, well i cant test that, its a loaner so not mine to do as i will with it.  however given the latest firmware is so good im not sure i see any reason to Rockbox it, i know old firmwares got bashed for being problem filled but i encountered zero problems on 1.28.

May 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #28 of 81
  okay im back.  so in the menu there is the option to turn on or off gapless playback.  it had been set to off which is why i was getting the short fade in's, when i turned it off tracks instantly and seamlessly rolled into one another.

so yes, with the stock firmware gapless playback works perfectly. if you Rockbox it, well i cant test that, its a loaner so not mine to do as i will with it.  however given the latest firmware is so good im not sure i see any reason to Rockbox it, i know old firmwares got bashed for being problem filled but i encountered zero problems on 1.28.

Thanks very much Mark
beerchug.gif

I have ordered the DX50, should be here tomorrow.

May 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #30 of 81
With respect to the interface, does it have any sort of Auto playlist generation or music selection, my favorite aspect of apple products is the Genius playlist generation, Samsung has a mood grid interface, I was wondering if this had something similar or are you limited to song/artist/genre etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back