iBasso DX50 Review
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #46 of 81
Mark2410: We really hear things differently.  I find nothing edgy or brittle in the RE-400's treble and though I don't have the RE-0 I do have the RE-Zero and it had a brighter, less smooth treble than the RE-400.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #47 of 81
well id agree the 0 was brighter, its just i find the treble on the 400 to be a a tad unrefined.  i will still grant that given its price its great and i only ever mention it because its for me the only area its comparatively not as accomplished and that the 0 had one of the very best trebles on anything ever.  so i am judging the 400 very harshly given its price, i mean nothing else for the money can really touch it and how overall good it is.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #49 of 81
There's a bloke on You Tube who rants for 15 minutes about how awful the OS is on this and other DAPs.
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

I think most people know who that 'bloke' is and he was completely justified in his video. The early version firmware had a lot of issues that have since been resolved. As far as not touching it with a barge pole is concerned, agreed I wouldn't either. However, using ones fingers to touch and operate it, the DX-50 is a really great player, sound wise and in its simple operation.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #50 of 81
  There's a bloke on You Tube who rants for 15 minutes about how awful the OS is on this and other DAPs.
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

does he say the firmware version?  early versions got bashed by just about everyone but i was on 1.28 and i can promise i did not encounter a single problem with it, if i had, i would have said so.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #51 of 81
I think most people know who that 'bloke' is and he was completely justified in his video. The early version firmware had a lot of issues that have since been resolved. As far as not touching it with a barge pole is concerned, agreed I wouldn't either. However, using ones fingers to touch and operate it, the DX-50 is a really great player, sound wise and in its simple operation.

Lol, I think the same bloke still is telling people how bad DX50 is based on those early FW which I agree sucks but not considering the how far the latest FW hss become. I honestly think though he should not venture out of an iDevice if he not willing to give other DAPs a fair shake after the bugs has been fixed nor is will to wait for them to be fixed. But the rant is entertaining I admit.
popcorn.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #52 of 81
Honestly (and I know I keep mentioning this), the Rockbox firmware transforms the player completely, to the point that it deems any issues with the earlier firmwares obsolete (although it does have a learning curve as far as navigation). I think the current firmware is also much, much more user friendly, but it's debatable whether it actually sounds better than the earlier ones (despite the usage issues, I felt 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 sounded better than the current one...again, none of them compare to Rockbox in terms of soundstage and overall neutrality. 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 are more colored than 1.2.8, but 1.2.8 sounds soulless to me sometimes. Hard to explain. Moderately neutral, yet unsatisfying). So anyone basing their opinions without trying the latest firmware (at the very least), don't pay their impressions any mind. For $250-ish, you're not going to find a more versatile and better sounding player. And I drag mine with me everywhere, have left it in the car in sweltering heat and I have yet to buy a case for it, so it can take a decent beating too.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #53 of 81
 For $250-ish, you're not going to find a more versatile and better sounding player.

Just bought one for my Fidelio X1 for 200$ (new). Will share impressions when I receive it :wink:

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #55 of 81

Sounds delicious!

Two questions:

*Are you using the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter?
*How good is the iBasso drinking Grados?

I was planning to use the Grado adapter with the RS2-i.  This sounds like it fits the bill (hopefully).

1) Yes

2) All four of my Grados sound great with the DX50. The synergy is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #56 of 81
1) Yes

2) All four of my Grados sound great with the DX50. The synergy is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet.  I actually mean to type in driving not drinking.  The price keeps good enough.  My issue is when I had one of the HifiMan DAPs the screen cracked on me after a few weeks.  How you normally transport the DAP?  I'm pretty bad with DAPs in general (how to hold them and such).

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #57 of 81
Mini audio silicone case (thicker and better quality than original iBasso silicone) + some kind of extra "book" style cover or bag in addition to screen protecting plastic. I already ordered MA silicone for my soon-to-arrive DX50.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #58 of 81

Sweet.  I actually mean to type in driving not drinking.  The price keeps good enough.  My issue is when I had one of the HifiMan DAPs the screen cracked on me after a few weeks.  How you normally transport the DAP?  I'm pretty bad with DAPs in general (how to hold them and such).

Right now I'm using the included silicon one.

There are some Dignis leather ones as well, however I have never used them

http://www.amazon.com/Dignis-Leather-Case-iBasso-DX90/dp/B00K264RJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402376281&sr=8-1&keywords=ibasso+dx50+case

Mini audio silicone case (thicker and better quality than original iBasso silicone) + some kind of extra "book" style cover or bag in addition to screen protecting plastic. I already ordered MA silicone for my soon-to-arrive DX50.

Where would you buy these CoiL?  Links?

Thanks

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #59 of 81
From here for example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-MP3-player-Silicone-Case-for-ibasso-Mini-Audio-DX50/1470353819.html

some compare pics: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/wts-brand-new-mini-audio-silicon-case-dx50-dx90-4691769.html

Just type Mini audio silicon DX50 into google and there are lot of places where to buy from. I bought it from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Case-For-iBasso-DX50-DX90-Music-Player-Headphone-Amplifier-/121342509077?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=&hash=item1c4093c015

I also bought exchange battery with larger capacity (3250mAh): http://www.ebay.com/itm/371070745466?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and external charger for comfort (charging during other is in use): http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-Battery-Charger-USB-Cable-Dock-Cradle-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-i9300-/131204001494?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item1e8c5e2ed6

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #60 of 81

Right now I'm using the included silicon one.

There are some Dignis leather ones as well, however I have never used them

http://www.amazon.com/Dignis-Leather-Case-iBasso-DX90/dp/B00K264RJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402376281&sr=8-1&keywords=ibasso+dx50+case

Thanks for the link.  If you don't mind me asking where did you order your DX50 from?  iBasso themselves?  I wonder how fast is the shipping if you order thru them?

There is this reseller on Amazon who has it for maybe a few bucks less than Amazon price.

I was originally planning to get an AKG headphone but with Grado rolling out their new updated headphones + I always wanted to walk outside jaming on the RS2i = I'll order this instead tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back