iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Dec 18, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #466 of 14,593
R8 post burn-in sounds great but it def trails behind DX220 MAX on pure technicalities such as staging and layering. MAX unfortunately just did not have the right synergy with my main IEM (inf2).

Thus-the hope DX300 can pull some magic out of that price point :).

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #467 of 14,593
I dunno...but a two battery power supply system one for the Dac and other for the digital board would suggest that ibasso are looking to well implement the Ak4499eq in a Dap that's pretty bad*** concept. Guaranteed if its well done and sounds awesome people will still complain about its weight and size with reviewers on YouTube. Haha

Hiby R8 circuitry is also pretty bad*** as well. Holy Cow! I did see it being compared to the ibasso dx200 on Headfonia and the reviewer said it outperformed it in all aspects (I believe) in a comparison.

Edited: here’s the review and it’s in the comparison section I believe??

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r8-review/

Unless I missed something, there was no comparison to DX200 in that review, only a comment that they never received MAX for comparison. Wouldn't make sense to compare end of 2020 dap release against another dap from beginning of 2017 :wink:

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #468 of 14,593
Wouldn't make sense to compare end of 2020 dap release against another dap from beginning of 2017 :wink:

Absolutely! I read it but could have been the another ibasso model??? . Honestly I can’t keep track of model names and stuff and almost always get them confused or mixed up so I may have misspoken (unintentionally).

Also I don’t have an ibasso so I’m not a fanboy (yet) but don’t worry I’ll bring my A game if/when I get one, fall in love it with one and become obsessed with everything ibasso Then I’ll be right with you in pouncing on the novice like me with missing information. Haha

Right now I'm looking around for the next flagship long term relationship ill get in. I'm definitely non committal at the moment so I’m playing the field and reading about others experience, etc

Fun fact: my autocorrect on my phone is crap everytime I write Ibasso it autocorrects it to “Picasso” it’s hilarious. Haha

Edited: Ah here are the comparison. I am assuming that the ibasso “Max” is the dx200 Max???

https://twister6.com/2020/09/11/hiby-r8/4/

Hope this helps to anyone who’s interested.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #469 of 14,593
Absolutely! I read it but could have been the another ibasso model??? . Honestly I can’t keep track of model names and stuff and almost always get them confused or mixed up so I may have misspoken (unintentionally).

Also I don’t have an ibasso so I’m not a fanboy (yet) but don’t worry I’ll bring my A game if/when I get one, fall in love it with one and become obsessed with everything ibasso Then I’ll be right with you in pouncing on the novice like me with missing information. Haha

Right now I'm looking around for the next flagship long term relationship ill get in. I'm definitely non committal at the moment so I’m playing the field and reading about others experience, etc

Fun fact: my autocorrect on my phone is crap everytime I write Ibasso it autocorrects it to “Picasso” it’s hilarious. Haha

Edited: Ah here are the comparison. I am assuming that the ibasso “Max” is the dx200 Max???

https://twister6.com/2020/09/11/hiby-r8/4/

Hope this helps to anyone who’s interested.

Yes, iBasso MAX refers to iBasso DX220 MAX in my R8 review. Also, I know, too many models and it can get confusing, didn't mean to give you a hard time, just wanted to point out dx200 vs dx220 because 200 is an old model from 4 years ago while 220 is the latest one from year and a half ago.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #470 of 14,593
At the moment my 2 options for Dap upgrade are se200 and dx300.
For me it always seemed like A&K always had their daps polished in every way, build quality Battery life posh looks etc. But it came at sily premium that was not worth it. Also i really dont like the fact that its 2.5mm balanced jack as i commute alot for work. Yet i thought 2 dacs are cool and Kern finally have their price lined up better with se200.
But...looking at dx300 hardware,hit now has a potential to make A&k sweat.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #471 of 14,593
Yes, iBasso MAX refers to iBasso DX220 MAX in my R8 review. Also, I know, too many models and it can get confusing, didn't mean to give you a hard time, just wanted to point out dx200 vs dx220 because 200 is an old model from 4 years ago while 220 is the latest one from year and a half ago.

Haha, All Good. No worries, I was joking too it’s hard to know this sometimes through a text on the “interweb of stuff.”

Edited: Holy... I just put two and two together that’s your review! Awesome job man! Kinda star struck! Haha...I can’t get that detailed in any of this! Mine would just be one paragraph with me saying I like this one over than that one! Haha

Nice review, boss! Well done. I learned a lot from it 👍🏻

Edited Again: Holy...with my dyslexia I never noticed the 220 vs 200 until you pointed it out omg...🤯 haha honestly thanks for pointing that out I would have kept making that mistake.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #472 of 14,593
At the moment my 2 options for Dap upgrade are se200 and dx300.
For me it always seemed like A&K always had their daps polished in every way, build quality Battery life posh looks etc. But it came at sily premium that was not worth it. Also i really dont like the fact that its 2.5mm balanced jack as i commute alot for work. Yet i thought 2 dacs are cool and Kern finally have their price lined up better with se200.
But...looking at dx300 hardware,hit now has a potential to make A&k sweat.

I am personally very impressed with the ESS output from the SE200 for my vocals. Also can't wait to audition the DX300. It will probably be launched in Asia first so I should have an opportunity to listen to it in SG and do some A/B.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #473 of 14,593
Hard to imagine the DX200 is from 4 years ago @.@

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #474 of 14,593
Ok nice, so it's aiming for the higher end of the market, N6ii/M15, even pushing into M8/R8 territory. Not really an R6/M6 Pro competitor then.

Not really dx300 is the flagship so the max is special edition. along the run ibasso will also make special limited editions with dx300. For that part and the best in the world customer service Ibasso rocks solid !

How many micro sd slots will it have?

Just for you it will have 5 sd slots :)

Sure in the I/V stage there is 4x op amps (Ada4896) only 2 are activated in normal mode and all 4 get activated when it’s in “turbo”.

The high gain occurs in the Ada4610-2 + BUF634 which most DAPs have or can do.

CEB917D7-B6CF-4678-AE5A-EB69D88C8B19.jpegF722FAF0-3985-45CA-9376-1CCB5475DF43.jpeg

ooooo that so interesting, so how come you saying hiby R layout 8 sucks?

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #475 of 14,593
Not really dx300 is the flagship so the max is special edition. along the run ibasso will also make special limited editions with dx300. For that part and the best in the world customer service Ibasso rocks solid !

The part about R8 lay out, I am interesting to see his opinions and views as well. Apparently, the Power supplies are The blood and soul of The devices, and hence the Dx300 is going to be something outstanding. Ibasso is going all out in decking out the power supplies with separated charging circuitry and batteries pack, together wi modular amps.....
this is only technicality side, sound performances is still unknown

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #476 of 14,593

???? Not at all. The Hiby R8 power supply with with “Turbo” looks and sounds amazing so does the Astell & Kern se200.

For me, I am impressed what these dap makers are doing in 2020-21. Amazing stuff! So many good flagship daps being made.

Lol. Its a moot point because he’s only interesting in Linux based daps and has said on multiple occasions that he will never get an android-based dap. ibasso Dx300 will run on android + Mango Os.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #478 of 14,593
Dx300 has Linux based Os, that is MangoOS. Yes, the new Gen of flagship is getting to be doped out so much. The Dx300 by itself is already something

The app yes but it’s running WiFi on Android. It’s not enough for some. They don’t want it at all. Ive explained the very same point hundreds of times. All the daps that I’ve looked at have some android-based software in them in 2020-21 but some want it to be 2017 again. They also hate MQA with 16x rendering saying it’s “lossy” which with the decoder software/hardware is not. It’s compressed loseless.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #479 of 14,593
The app yes but it’s running WiFi on Android. It’s not enough for some. They don’t want it at all. Ive explained the very same point several times. All the daps that I’ve looked at run on some android-based software in 2020-21 but some want it be 2017 again. They also hate MQA with 16x rendering saying it’s “lossy” which with the decoder software/hardware is not. It’s compressed loseless.

You are mistaken, the Dx220 and DX300 is Dual Operation System. One is Android and another one is Linux based MangoOS

The Mango App in Android is not the OS

both can be switched by holding power buttons and select the booting OS

Yes, the MangoOS is unable to use wireless, and that is as dedicated Os as can be

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #480 of 14,593
The Mango App in Android is not the OS

both can be switched by holding power buttons and select the booting OS

Yes, the MangoOS is unable to use wireless, and that is as dedicated Os as can be

I have explained it this way as well. I “get” it. Some people hear “android” or “MQA” and have strong negative feelings towards it. Personally don’t care but you will not find a dap made in 2020-21 sans Android in it or one that runs a Linux based Os with WiFi. That’s my point and that’s what they object to at nausea! They have their biases, make them known and will refuse to hear it otherwise or any other way. I’ve had lots of issues with this on many occasions and was left scratching my head. Maybe if it’s coming from you they will listen?..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back