iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Nov 16, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #13,831 of 14,594
If you get the third-party clear case from Amazon here, you can pick it up how you would normally without fear of pressing the buttons. It WILL start yellowing (all of them do though) after about a year or so.

Sounds like you got some good listening going on already with it. Fantastic!

If you are looking for some amazing, closed back AE phones, I have found the Focal Elegia to be one of the best "bang for the buck" items you can currently get IMO. They were $1k originally, then everyone thought they were discontinued, but they are still being made, and you can get them for $399 brand new (though they DO come with a 3.5 SE cable which you can replace easily from standard 3.5mm jacks). Granted, they are NOT for everyone's tastes, but for me they come the closest (and even rival some) in sounding like an open back set that I have heard thus far.

I have both the HE400S (discontinued), and OG Deva (also discontinued for the R2R Deva now) and find them to sound amazing with the DX300 Amp11.2. Though I think the Deva sound even better on the Amp13 tube amp card.

If you aren't set on IEMs, I might suggest the iBasso IT-07. They pair stupendously with the DX300. I have all three amp cards, and it is my opinion that they pair the best with the Amp11.2 card (that you currently have), though it is pretty close with the Amp12 card (just depends on what you are looking for if you think one is better than the other). Amp11.2 has a bit more quantity of bass, and more upfront and clearer mids, where Amp13 is wider, better textured bass, and a bit more balanced in the mids (this all being with the IT-07 BTW).
Thanks. That Amazon link is the one I was looking at (albeit I'm in the UK). I like the inclusion of the dust plugs too.

Focals are on my radar but I want open backs, so the Elegia didn't make the list I'm afraid.

Good thing is I can't really go buying just yet, so plenty of time to read reviews and maybe audition some different models if I can find some real life shops to have a play in.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #13,832 of 14,594
The third party clear case is better in one way which is that it makes the buttons much harder to press by accident, where the iBasso made clear case has an opening for the micro SD card, but the buttons are super easy to press on accident.
True. In addition, the device is much more stable than the original leather case.

Instead, as combinations with the DX300 (amp 12exn), I found a fantastic one with the Unique Melody Mext, which give body, warmth, detail and so much refined musicality to this DAP that would sound a bit too precise and restrained (for my taste).
Making a female comparison, the DX300 is a Swiss college girl, pretty but a little frigid, dressed in a college uniform with a shirt buttoned up to the neck, blonde braids on her shoulders, glasses and freckles. But with a little makeup and the right attire, she can transform into a sex bomb (lol).
Here, the Mexts have this effect on the DX300 :D

Truly a remarkable result, a bewitching sound, which I would never stop listening to. And I don't know how much it would cost to achieve a similar result with over-ear headphones and a desktop rig.
With the latter (full size headphones) the DX300 falls short of a good desktop system. In my opinion it is at its best with IEMs.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #13,833 of 14,594
When the wallet has recovered, my next buy won't be a different AMP module, but instead a nice over ear dynamic driver to compliment my stable. The Sivga sv023 is looking enticing right now, sound signature wise and bang for my buck
I strongly suggest you get the iBasso SR2. Its synergy with the DX300 is just on another level, and that headphone on its own is something quite special.

Also, iBasso's customer service... Just ask around. Sivga, on the other hand, has had several cases where it disrespected its customers, and I genuinely don't like the direction they are going in.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #13,834 of 14,594
I strongly suggest you get the iBasso SR2. Its synergy with the DX300 is just on another level, and that headphone on its own is something quite special.

Also, iBasso's customer service... Just ask around. Sivga, on the other hand, has had several cases where it disrespected its customers, and I genuinely don't like the direction they are going in.
While I haven't tried those, all of the IEMs I have tried from iBasso have been top notch (fantastic value/performance, even the budget line has been really great), especially paired with an iBasso device IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase those (if I were in the market for new phones) for the very reason I mentioned combined with the CS aspect that you mentioned.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #13,835 of 14,594

Thank you. Their first foray into the over ear market isn't it? Edit: Sorry, that was the SR1 I now see.

I will look closer as currently compiling a list, with likely Focal Clear MG top of it, budget wise. I'm in no rush as really enjoying my Oppo PM 2 and NF Audio NA2.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #13,836 of 14,594
@Paul - iBasso Hope you are doing well ! Is there any update on Android 11 release for DX300 ?

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #13,838 of 14,594
There is probably no reason for iBasso to do it. In addition to the effort releasing it, there is a risk it will introduce potential issues that they will have to worry about later. Companies are not motivated to support old products.
I am sorry, but seems like you are not aware that this is something Ibasso had already indicated in their FB posts. I am not asking for something that a company has not committed for.

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #13,840 of 14,594
1669514678265.png

This was about 7 months back. If you have time, check @Paul - iBasso posts in this thread affirming this news. Recently, Android 11 was released for DX300MAX and it seems this android upgrade is in the works for DX240 as well.. I have no more to add.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #13,841 of 14,594
1669514678265.png

This was about 7 months back. If you have time, check @Paul - iBasso posts in this thread affirming this news. Recently, Android 11 was released for DX300MAX and it seems this android upgrade is in the works for DX240 as well.. I have no more to add.
Given this was posted seven months ago and still without providing any concrete dates, it reflects what I said earlier about a lack of motivation to support an old product. But yes, there is a chance they will release it one day. I never said they wouldn't. Probably a low priority was given to this.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #13,843 of 14,594
Given this was posted seven months ago and still without providing any concrete dates, it reflects what I said earlier about a lack of motivation to support an old product. But yes, there is a chance they will release it one day. I never said they wouldn't. Probably a low priority was given to this.
It sounds like you are new to iBasso, but whenever they said they would do something, they did it.

This is not one of those companies that releases a product and forgets about it, or releases a 'modular' product and never releases new modules for it =)

Personally, I'm in no rush. I am probably going to hold off updating to Android 11, just like I did on my DX300 MAX. If it ain't broke, don't fix it — I love both my DX300 and DX300 MAX, they function perfectly. However, I understand that others are eagerly waiting for the Android 11 update. Unless something prevents iBasso from implementing that update, you can be certain that it will come sooner or later.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #13,844 of 14,594
I see a lot of people on this thread trying to direct a question or comment to @Paul - iBasso and then wondering why he doesn't reply that often (if at all). He has said in the past that the best way to get a response is to send him a email. This is his contact info:

###Please use only my email for all correspondence: paul@ibasso.com private messages will get a MUCH delayed response. Please DO not private message###

Hope this helps...
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #13,845 of 14,594
It sounds like you are new to iBasso, but whenever they said they would do something, they did it.

This is not one of those companies that releases a product and forgets about it, or releases a 'modular' product and never releases new modules for it =)

Personally, I'm in no rush. I am probably going to hold off updating to Android 11, just like I did on my DX300 MAX. If it ain't broke, don't fix it — I love both my DX300 and DX300 MAX, they function perfectly. However, I understand that others are eagerly waiting for the Android 11 update. Unless something prevents iBasso from implementing that update, you can be certain that it will come sooner or later.
Did I say they won't do it? I said they gave it a low priority. The question is how long it takes to deliver a promise or at least provide specific dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back