iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 17, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,161 of 3,626
Teah maxing the volume shouldn’t drop the battery from 8-9 hours to 3.5 so something else must be up. I suggest doing the rest and hopefully that fixes the issue.
No such luck for me. Been getting less than 4 hours of play time after a factory reset. Will contact B&H photo now. My return window is closing fast.

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,162 of 3,626
No such luck for me. Been getting less than 4 hours of play time after a factory reset. Will contact B&H photo now. My return window is closing fast.
Sounds like the DAC battery needs replacement. Sadly, this can happen with anything. Very frustrating, I would agree. Had an iPhone that with all Apple's money and ability to buy the best, went through 2 batteries before we got one that has worked fine now.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,163 of 3,626
Regarding battery test on my DX220 MAX review unit, I have done quite a few measurements and getting consistent results under these conditions:
  • DAC volume at 130 and Analog volume around 9 o'clock (normal listening volume)
  • Using average impedance/sensitivity pair of IEMs connected to 4.4mm balanced headphone output
  • Medium gain, Filter 1 setting
  • BT and WiFi off, screen mostly off, only occasional glimpse to check the battery status
  • playing a mix of mp3/flac files in a loop
and MAX lasts about 11hrs 45min with digital battery drained to shutdown and analog battery remaining closer to 20%.

Of course, switching to higher gain, playing higher resolution files, streaming and having BT and WiFi on, and using demanding headphones will add more variables to drain these batteries faster, but for a relative comparison I typically run the best case scenario test to get a baseline number for a battery.
My tests: Low gain, DAC volume 130, listening Wavpack 192/32 with Neutron MP (64bit processing on, replay gain off, no oversampling, no EQ), volume knob turned near to 2 hours with IMR RAH connected with balanced cable, lasts until 5% analogue section battery for 9 hours 49 minutes. What was curious in my case, both circuits batteries were discharged almost equally all the way difference was 1-5% between digital and analogue batteries, only in the end analogue section battery discharged faster.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2,164 of 3,626
Thanks for doing the battery test guys. The digital battery section is likely defective. It takes twice as long to charge as well. I will have to do an exchange and go with another unit. Wasted over 4 weeks of time burning in. Personally I found the sound of the MAX to stabilize at roughly 400 hours or so. No graininess or etched treble any more after that. I was listening to my Sony TA-ZH1ES last night and the two players were definitely on similar level sound wise. The TA-ZH1ES is sweeter sounding and meatier sounding. The MAX projected nearly the same staging size as the ZH1ES. What I like about the MAX better is the midrange is sweeter and is a little airier sounding. It’s a very fine sounding device.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,165 of 3,626
Thanks for doing the battery test guys. The digital battery section is likely defective. It takes twice as long to charge as well. I will have to do an exchange and go with another unit. Wasted over 4 weeks of time burning in. Personally I found the sound of the MAX to stabilize at roughly 400 hours or so. No graininess or etched treble any more after that. I was listening to my Sony TA-ZH1ES last night and the two players were definitely on similar level sound wise. The TA-ZH1ES is sweeter sounding and meatier sounding. The MAX projected nearly the same staging size as the ZH1ES. What I like about the MAX better is the midrange is sweeter and is a little airier sounding. It’s a very fine sounding device.
This is a huge statement, but I do agree with it as I too had experiences with the TA-ZH1ES. It isn’t over exaggerating when claiming that MAX is a no brainer when compared to Top Of a The Line players are the current and present time. Yet, you may argue back that the MAX isn't portable. However, In my own opinion, if it fit in the pocket, then it is portable. The MAX has no problem fitting inside the Pocket at all.

Also, TA-ZH1ES is a full size Desktop integrated DAC/AMP, just FYI.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,166 of 3,626
Neutron is good !!! Not only that it can perform well, but it also is able to over sample the files to 8X which pushes the processor to the limits.

My unit has better thermal management and I could feel the heat dissipated toward the chassis much stronger too !!

Cheer to Open Android OS !!

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,168 of 3,626
Neutron is good !!! Not only that it can perform well, but it also is able to over sample the files to 8X which pushes the processor to the limits.

My unit has better thermal management and I could feel the heat dissipated toward the chassis much stronger too !!

Cheer to Open Android OS !!
For me also Neutron’s strong advantage how it properly handles cue files (especially single cue for multiple files - it is a case when LPs grabbed side by side to separate files). I want Mango Player could handle Cue like that - which is not a case unfortunately:frowning2:

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,170 of 3,626
Can anybody tell me if the AC adapter 18V is suitable for use in Europe (230V)?

Should be no problem: the 18V AC adapter supports 100 to 240V input.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,173 of 3,626

Users who are viewing this thread

Back